Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st cook with SNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st cook with SNS

Sorry for the sideways pics, held the phone in the wrong direction.
    Our SNS arrived yesterday just prior to the time to start the kingsford. Thanks to the authors of this site' reviews and for providing the Amazon links. This cook was a little unorganized as I was trying to do too many things at once (like put together the patio table for my bride). Dinner was chicken kabobs. Boneless, skinless, free range chicken breasts are what my wife brought home. No time to brine, my preferred method for chicken breasts, so I went out to the garden and picked some lemon thyme, cilantro, and rosemary and through them in the mortar, added some fresher squeezed lemon juice, EVO from an Arizona Monastary, and freshly ground pepper. Hit it all with a pestle then into a ziplock with the chicken and into the fridge for thirty minutes. Added some mesquite chips just prior to putting the chicken on ( picking up wood chunks today). Chicken went on the grill first and after 25 minutes added the kabob rack over the chicken with only the corn on it. Last to go on the rack was the veg. Cook was about 340 according to the Weber lid thermometer ( I know I know, my new maverick arrives Monday). While the chicken was cooking I trimmed and portioned two 7 pound butts and added the fat slab to the grill as a burnt offering (my wife: what smells so good?) the timing was good as the chips did not last long as you might have guessed. Things I learned, experimentation is a must and it can occur as you cook. I meant to mark the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and full openings with a sharpie prior to cooking. That was critical as I both let the temp drop too low, 200 and too high, 500 for a few minutes each. I was very impressed with the sped in which you can change temperatures with the bottom vent. I did leave the top vent open 1/2 way for the duration of the cook, thanks to the advice of the fine pit masters on this site.
    Sunday morning the butts will come out of the fridge and go on the Weber for an 8 hour love fest with smoke, really stoked about that. Thanks to all the pit master club members who help make us better providers of deliciousness for our friends and families.

Sounds like you're well on your way to barbecue awesomeness. You should check out our temp management techniques here. The kettle/SnS works a little differently than just a kettle. A 1/2 open top vent will get you a very hot cooker when you're using the SnS.

Comment

Will do! I should have an the iPad next to me with that page open as I have taken in so much information in such a short time on this site sometimes it runs together.

Comment

martybartram, Looks Like You Done Good, Young Fella! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Congrats on making it happen. Great cook!

Comment

The butts are done! Details at http://www.rhinowrestling.org/index....grillin-smokin
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	162991
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	162990
            Last edited by martybartram; May 1, 2016, 06:23 PM. Reason: Updated with finished cook and blog

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here