Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex help

So I got a vortex last summer and love it. However, I can’t seem to hit the super high temps that others report getting with it (for instance, Elton's BBQ just posted hitting 600+). I’m getting about 400, maybe 425 tops (at least as read on the lid dial thermometer). I’ve toyed around with a couple different lighting processes, but generally I light a full chimney of KBB, dump them in the vortex when ashed over, top the vortex off with more briquettes, and when those are light, I start the cook, with both top and bottom vents fully open. I’ve heard of some people intentionally leaving the lid cracked open, allowing more exhaust and generating more heat, but was afraid of the uneven heat distribution that would cause. One thing to note, is that I am at elevation, ~6000 feet above sea level. I suppose that could be the cause of the lower temp (higher elevation = thinner air = less fire = less heat), but am super envious of those hitting those higher temps. Is there anything I’m missing or should be doing?

One trick I have seen is to cover the charcoal grate with foil except for the section that is under the Vortex. I have done this and I get higher temps since it forces all of the air through the Vortex.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’ve thought of this, but really more for easy cleanup than forced air. Could be another reason to give it a try.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 with the foil trick. Yes easy clean up and super hot temp!

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do. I hate stuff dripping below the charcoal grate, plus I think it helps generate more heat.

Hmmm. I've been using the Vortex in my Performer for a year or two, and while I am not sure I've hit 600+, I am not sure it matters, as I usually just run all vents wide open when using the Vortex, without the lid cracked. I do know it reads pretty high on the Weber dome thermometer, which on the older kettles like my 2007 model, is pretty much directly over the Vortex, under the handle assembly on top.

I will say that your starting techniques could mean that your charcoal is getting spent before you start cooking. I often light directly in the Vortex since my Performer has gas ignition that puts a flame right under the edge of the Vortex, and I start cooking as soon as the flames are shooting out of the top of the Vortex. I then put the lid on, go inside to get the chicken, steak, whatever, and come back and get cooking. I am certainly not waiting for every coal to ash over. I am really thinking this is what is lowering your temperatures, although I could be wrong, and maybe its elevation.

If I light a chimney - same thing - I dump it into the Vortex or SNS once the top coals are on fire and just starting to ash a little at the corners, usually with flames shooting out of the top of the chimney.

If you don't wait for everything to ash over and compact by burning down, one full large chimney should about fill the medium Vortex. If you need more, I would have those in the bottom of the Vortex, and pour the burning coals on top of them, versus putting them on top. Just like they tell you to do when lighting for longer chicken cooks with the SNS - put unlit coals in, pour lit coals on top of those.

Oh - last thing. What brand and type charcoal are you using? I am using B&B briquettes with my kettle and see higher temps than I see using Kingsford (KBB). That could also be a factor.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Decreased heat from the original coals could definitely be playing a factor here. Next time I’ll try overloading the chimney, dumping those when ready, and start cooking from there.

I’m also using KBB briquettes. I could give B&B a try, but B&B is almost twice the cost here, not sure if it’s worth the extra money just for chicken. But could be worth a try, just to see.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris He mentioned he’s using KBB. I also just fill my chimney as full as I can, then dump them in the vortex when most of the coals are lit. I usually use KBB also and at the top of the vortex it’s almost 1,000* using an IR thermometer. I don’t usually check the lid thermometer, it’s always gotten plenty hot inside.

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Kingsford Pro burns the hottest as far as I know. Def hotter than B&B briquettes 🔥🔥🐿️

I agree with jfmorris I think you're letting your coals burn down too much. I use a chimney to start my coals. I don't just fill it to the top. I heap KBB on it. I also dump them in the Vortex when there is little to no more start up smoke. That fills the Vortex to just over the brim. I would imagine elevation is at play as well.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll give that a try next time, could very well be what’s going on. I do think the elevation is playing a big role (I’ve had really hard times lighting campfires above tree line, for instance), but diminished coals could also be hurting me.

My dome temps routinely get over 500o but grate level is lower, I can get the grate temp over 400o but it usually hangs at 375o - 390o or so.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	04D686E0-23A6-47CB-9E65-3DF3D7A1D368.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	1392729 Click image for larger version  Name:	55C8E82B-5505-47F9-8E1F-9CA78A61C79F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.98 MB ID:	1392728 Here is my last one using foil around the outside of the Vortex. I’ve seen temps even higher.

Comment

I do the foil on the charcoal grate, full chimney of KBB, dump when the top layer of charcoal is lit and burning and start cooking. I have never thought to measure the temps though. Never had an issue.

Comment

I usually fill my Vortex with charcoal, unlit, and then take a bunch off the top drop in a Weber starter cube. I light the cube and then put the removed charcoal back into the vortex, and put the lid on with top and bottom vents wide open.

Then it is a matter of waiting a bit for the coals to light and come to temp.

Comment

I use Kingsford Professional from Costco.

I:
            Always use fresh charcoal.
            Foil the charcoal grate around the Vortex cone.
            Fill it heaping full with fresh charcoal.
            Light the coals using the gas starter on my Performer.
            Put the cooking grate on when the coals are going enough to tamp down allowing the grate to go on.
            Put the lid on the kettle for about five minutes with all vents full open.
            Load on the food and let ‘er rip!

I never watch the temps on the lid or anywhere else for that matter. It’s HOT. No need to worry about it. Seems to work fine for me every time. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

If you are basing your temps on the dome thermometer placement of the Vortex might be affecting your readings. The Vortex forces the heat upward in a concentrated way. If it’s not under the thermometer probe the temp reading will be lower.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here