Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Baby Backs on the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Baby Backs on the SnS

It's been windy, so temp control has been a bear. I'm bouncing between 280* and 330*. I look like a safe cracker adjusting the upper vent!

So far so good, about an hour and a half away from sauce now [licking chops]
    Attached Files

I've got some minor leaks, apparently I need more than two clips on the lid. It wants to shoot up and I found the other night that bringing my exhaust down down from 100% open to less than 50% open solved that problem.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done all I can do to the lid. I was running the Auber and I can tell the more cooks I do the more it wants to leak and shoot up temps.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Leaks usually get better with age, not worse. Try adding another binder clip. If that doesn't work you might want to give the gasket a shot.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine actually was sealing up well for a while. No matter, I got 6 on that dude now and I can just about pick up the whole pit using just the lid handle.

Polak are you following the lighting procedure and vent control recommendations for the SnS? 280 seems high unless you're aiming for that on purpose.

Comment

• Polak
      Polak commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, not to a tee. I used some left over coals to start the fuse. What I eyeballed to the equivalent of 12 briquettes. Probably more dense than twelve new ones, ergo more heat, no?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Your high heat is probably your vent settings. The SnS is so efficient you really have to watch the vents. My top vent is often only 1/4 to 1/5 open and bottom vent about a 1/3 open when I'm at 225 F.

Well, no complaints! Strap was a piece of jerky, but who doesn't love jerky?!?!?

I did note that the rack closest to the coals was overly done on the surface (chewy) and the furthest was almost perfect. Would it be prudent to rotate the racks throughout the cook?
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think it's necessary to rotate the racks between closer and farther away from the Slow 'N Sear, but I do think it helps to flip them top to bottom half way through the cook. The food grate level temp is a bit lower than the temp 3 or 4 inches above the food grate so flipping the racks top to bottom evens out the result.

• Polak
      Polak commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, did that around the 2hr mark.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      My goodness, what pretty ribs!

Kathryn

Polak, Just What fzxdoc Said! Beautiful! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here