Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Sirloin for Pulled Pork/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Sirloin for Pulled Pork/

Greetings All, my local grocery has whole bone-in pork sirloin for 99 cents/pound. Would this be any good for pulled pork, or should I stick with the venerable Boston Butt?

If it really is sirloin I wouldn't recommend it for pulled pork, but it would make awesome chops.

Comment

Thunder77, I agree with mgaretz, I think you would be very dissatisfied if you tried to cook a loin low and slow. On the other hand it might make a beautiful and taste Roast! In general the loin and sirloin are to lean to make pulled pork in MHO!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Sous vide would be the only thing that could rescue that, and even then you wouldn't have a classic pulled product.

Comment

Agree with others, I wouldn't do a low n' slow cook with pork tenderloin. Money down the drain.

Comment

It really depends on which end you have. Pork is not usually broken into what, in beef, would be a ribeye and a striploin. You likely have the whole main muscle loin. The "ribeye" portion of that is what's right next to the collar or butt. You could use that end for pulled pork and get decent results, you'd still have to be very careful not to dry it out. The other end would make much better pork chops than pulled pork.

Comment

I think the consensis is to use it for chops, that is what I would do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here