Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial smoke with SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial smoke with SnS

Received my SnS on Thursday and did the first run today. Baby Backs on the performer, SnS, kingsford blue and very happy with the results. Took me a bit to figure the right vent settings, used to the WSM with bbq guru, but once set it worked very well with no further adjustments needed. This was a 5 hour smoke, 2-2-1, had plenty of charcoal and heat left, even though it was max 10 degrees out. i don't think 8-9 hours would be a problem at all. Again, very happy with the SnS! Sorry the picture doesn't show the SnS better.

Awseome rdahrens! Sounds like you're hitting the ground running with your SnS. Do us a favor? We could really use an Amazon review talking up the virtues of cooking with the Slow 'N Sear in cold weather. We're hoping a lot of kettle owners use their SnSs to keep on cookin through the winter months.

Comment

Sorry the picture doesn't show the SnS better.
      Ya can't eat the SnS.

I use an Auber with my SnS....wonderful.

Comment

Great looking ribs rdahrens! Congrats on success.

Comment

I just did my first smoke with SNS as well, so I'll post my review here as well.

Weather in NC was low 50s to mid 40s during the cook.

Started off by loading the SNS with 15 ashed over coals on one side, then filled the container with hot water and a basket full of briquettes with 3 mesquite chunks mixed in.

2:05 PM 185 degrees
          2:30 PM 231 degrees
          2:45 PM 251 degrees
          3:02 PM 249 degrees
          4:23 PM 247 degrees
          5:40 PM 253 degrees
          6:25 PM 223 degrees
          7:00 PM 233 degrees

Wrapped ribs at the 3 hour mark, took off the grill at 7:00 PM.

Let rest for an hour off the grill, and unwrapped.

Ribs had a great looking pink smoke ring about 1/4 to 1/8 inch think. Very tender, very juicy, and bottom line, delicious results.

I have to say I'm impressed. I cooked ribs in around the same weather a few weeks ago, and used the Smokenator. Could not hold temp with any consistency beyond 3 hours. Ribs had to be finished in oven.

SNS is impressive. Ordered on Thursday from Amazon, was told it would be delivered Jan. 12th. It arrived Saturday morning around 9 AM.

I'm not really an expert, but I'm trying my best to improve my game, thus the subscription here. I have to say, the SNS has really helped, and I can't wait to try other cooks with it.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the feedback and I'm very happy the SnS is helping you up your grilling game. Please consider giving us that Amazon review

Pit Boss, I posted my review on Amazon. Thanks for making the product, and putting in the work in this community to support it.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Grillout! It's a labor of love. I get out of it more than I give.

Grillout, Great Looking Ribs! Thanks for your Time and Temp Posts! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Posted my review on Amazon, if you have a Weber Kettle you can't go wrong with this is your arsenal!

Comment

Awesome review. THANK YOU!

Comment

​rdahrens did you use water in the pan? I smoked some ribs last Saturday and the outdoor temps were similar to yours (10*-15* plus NNW winds 15-20 mph) but I didn't use any water. I was able to hold a steady 238* in my 26" Weber so I didn't see the need to add water. I farted around trying to get my Weber stabilized for over an hour (temps went up and down from 213-230) before I realized I had neglected to put foil over the bare side of the fire grate. Once I placed the foil in the grate the temps went 238. I monitored it for about 45 minutes and the temp stayed between 238 & 239. At that point I tossed on 2 slabs (11.60 lbs, spares trimmed to STL's) of ribs and was able to smoke them for about 5.5 hours before the temps started falling. I could have refilled the charcoal side, but at that point I decided to finish them inside where it was a little warmer. Note to self, buy a wireless thermometer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here