Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using lump with the SNS for low and slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using lump with the SNS for low and slow?

I will be using my SNS this weekend (weather permitting) and will follow the instructions for a level-set on the break-in cook and use Kingsford for my "low & slow" snake, but was just wondering if anyone had used lump for low and slow with theirs?

I would assume the burn rate wouldn't be as predictable and the temps would be a bit higher, but other than that are there any pitfalls using lump for low and slow on the SNS? I find myself using lump more often than not these days and am curious.

Also - it seems like every picture I have seen of coals set up in the snake method for some reason have chunks of smoking wood spaced out equally from one end of the snake to the other - why? After all, we have all read that meat will only absorb smoke for the first couple of hours of the cook - so why would one set the snake up to smoke at the end of the cook? I plan on placing all of the wood I want to smoke with near the lit end of the snake only.

Maybe I am picking nits - but just curious.

Looking forward to trying out the SNS - definitely more quality built in than the Smokenator which is just thin metal that has been punched and then put in a brake. I was pleased to see (and feel the wight of) the SNS - nice thick steel with perfect little welds.
    Last edited by HC in SC; January 8, 2016, 10:41 AM.

As for the placement of wood chunks - I'm with you on that one. I place a few at the "beginning", i.e. the end where I light up the fuel.

As for the charcoal vs briquettes - I think the briquettes are easier simply because they are the exact (almost) same size and last longer, but I imagine (haven't tried myself yet) that charcoal would work well too. Will be interesting to see what other report here. Would love to do a charcoal grill with the SnS, will try that out the next time. Don't think temp maintenance will much harder, if at all.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure I'll be trying low and slow with lump at some point.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one scratching my head with the wood chunk placement - I'll do the same as you do - thanks!

Lump charcoal is fine. It doesn't burn hotter, but I have noticed that it's a little harder to maintain temps. I blame the irregular shaped pieces. You really should give KBB a try in it.

The wood chunks even if spaced out in the SnS still start burning pretty early as the fire heads to the center pretty quickly, but I agree there's no reason not to front load your wood burning.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on. I will definitely use KBB probably for the first couple of cooks. Was just curious - thanks.

Wood chunks evenly spaced are mathematically pleasing. Also, the charcoal grate's bars and the SnS and the cooking grate bars should be parallel. I don't have any issues. I don't have any issues. Really, I don't.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy ... I'm like that too. Everything MUST be symmetrical. If anything is incorrectly positioned or out of place that must be corrected post haste.😎

I don't have any issues either.🤔

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I make sure my charcoal grate wires & SnS are lined up squarely or it bothers me. And of course the food grate wires must match too. I'm pretty sure the food would be just terrible if they weren't.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok - so it's an OCD thing lol!

If you're watching the cook, evenly spaced wood chucks give you that nice pleasing aroma all the way through to keep you and your adult beverages company.

Comment

I never noticed any temp fluctuations using lump, however my Auber may have noticed some.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
        Wood chunks evenly spaced are mathematically pleasing. Also, the charcoal grate's bars and the SnS and the cooking grate bars should be parallel. I don't have any issues. I don't have any issues. Really, I don't.
        Not only does the SnS & cooking grate bars have to be parallel, but the cooking grate bars also have to match up to the front handle on my 26" kettle. Then I have to have the thermometer in the lid perfectly centered to the front handle. It's the little things.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          It is obvious to me that I am not the only one with CDO
          (OCD in the right order)

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          richinlbrg THAT'S funny right there.

For the record my SnS is @ 3:00 and the food grate @ 9:00. But sometimes, depending on when I'm cooking, the SnS is @ 1500 and the Food @ 2100.

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          After thinking about it my rig is set up in the same way, except I add the lengthwise centerline vector of the of the prep table (I have a Performer). Strange minds think alike I guess. Hahahahahaha

I don't use the probe thermometers, but outside of that I set mine up just like that without even thinking about it.
          Last edited by HC in SC; January 9, 2016, 08:21 AM.

David Parrish ... I knew that... I wasn't thinking as I was typing. I have the SnS @ 3:00. I have the lid vents @ 9:00. I have the lid thermometer @ 3:00 I'll make the correction above.😎
        Last edited by Breadhead; January 8, 2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

On my 26" the SnS is at 3:00 (you're welcome David Parrish ). On my 22" the SnS is at 9:00 (so if I'm using both at the same time my Chef Alarms can share a table). On my 18" Jumbo Joe the SnS is at....oh wait, it won't hold one, so I guess the Joe will be used for my chimney and I'll see if the Weber charcoal baskets that came with my 26" will fit in it.

Comment

Phew! Breadhead and fuzzydaddy you guys had me worried LOL

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Guest ...

You trained us better than that post... That was just a brain fart on my part.🙃 I must have been upside down and backwards while typing that.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL. It's all good

I haven't used my SnS yet :-( But looking at it in pictures it looks like you wouldn't want the top grate lining up perfectly above it for long cooks. If it the top grates are parallel it looks like when the hinged part is flipped up the water reservoir isn't accessible. I would think that the top grate would have to be turned 1/4 so that when the hinged part of the grate is flipped up part of the water reservoir is exposed. Now, this would only be necessary for long cooks where you intend to refill the water reservoir when it runs dry. Other than that, have them be parallel.

For those of you who have already used the SnS, please correct me if my eyes are deceiving me in the pics I've seen. It's raining here so I am not going to grab my SnS, rip the cover off my kettle and verify this for myself right now.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              On my low-n-slow cooks (butts and ribs) I have never refilled the water, so the first (and only) quart was added when starting my fire. Having never refilled the water, I have nothing to compare to, except that my meat was outstanding! Maybe others have cooks with/without adding water that they can make a comparison.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess that makes sense.
              With the Smokenator the water tin was so small that it ran dry after an hour. Also, coals had to be fed through small holes by hand. A couple of times, when I was rushing, I missed the small hole and the briquette bounced right into the water tin.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to using the SnS.

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              It is always best to heed the warnings on fill amount of water pans in my experience. I have had at least a few cooks go a bit sideways because I felt the need to top off the pan when the instructions gave a specific amount.

I have to put my own OCD in check every time though. Lol

As for the question that started this thread.....when I've used lump it certainly seems to burn hotter that Kingsford briquettes. I do know that the Kingsford competition briquettes burn hotter (and faster) than regular Kingsford. I can tell you that lump certainly seems to burn faster as well. Now, this isn't something I've scientifically measured, just instinctive observations. For low/slow I highly recommend sticking with Kingsford Blue. Mess around with lump for shorter cooks, like steaks, chicken breasts, etc.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              I have only used Kingsford Blue in my kettles. One of these days I'm going to do some tests with lump, and KBB+lump, for hot cooks such as chicken and pork loins. For 225 cooks I'll stay with KBB for predictable results.

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been using lump in the PBC for a while now - with the exception of the 40 starter briquettes, anyway. I love the clean up of lump ash vs charcoal ash, it seems to burn a bit hotter and I can get a good 10-12 hours out of 1 fire basket if I pile coals up to the handle of the fire basket.

The downside is of course the irregular burn with different size pieces. I find myself having to stir the coals more with lump than Kingsford.

I'll start out with Kingsford only on the initial cook with the SNS, I need to follow the directions at least once before I start experimenting. 😀

Thank for the input everyone. Much appreciated!

Comment

Funny how we all have our little, errrr, ummmmmm,"techniques."
              I wonder if any of us will ever again be allowed to board a plane.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                *groan*

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                What David Parrish said .

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, if you want to be all technical about it, I'd rather perform carpentry work than get my junk grabbed by some TSA chump. Just sayin. 😀

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here