Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving your SNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving your SNS?

I have a question for you SNS owners. Do you rotate your SNS around the grill every so often or just leave it in one place?
    I’ve always rotated which side I banked my coals on just to keep everything uniform ( yep OCD) so wondering what I’m gonna do with the SNS.

I do not. I need to have it on the same side as the hinged lid. I have not seen any effects - good or bad - from leaving it in the same place over a number of years.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do. It’s easier to access the meat.

No need. One of the things it does is keep the hot coals off the surface of the grill. I suggest just leaving it where you like it the best.

Comment

I don’t use mine a whole lot, but every time I do, it’s in the same place….opposite the handle of my SNS kettle in the back. There’s no need to rotate IMO. The only thing I rotate while smoking is my beers.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 10, 2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Always on the left.

Comment

Mine stays on same side as the lid bale (back of kettle) which is opposite from the lid vent (front of kettle) for the past 5+ years and no issues. Thinking about it now, if the SnS was on the left or right side, I could still have the vent on the opposite side and I could get to the charcoal easier than reaching over the meat. I will try this on my next smoke. I never thought about it before. I guess I thought about having the weight of the SnS over the 2 back wheels rather than on the side or over the 1 wheel of the tripod and to open, the lid just flips back into the bale. Also, on my old deck, the kettle was in the corner.
          Last edited by Purc; November 9, 2022, 06:55 PM.

Comment

With my Preformers, always on the left. Same side as the lid holder.

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              I also have a Performer, I tried putting it on the right once. Did not like it at all, especially considering I’m right handed.

same place on the left.

Comment

I always keep it on the “back” half of my SnS Kettle but always rotate the charcoal grate each time underneath it. In my mind this we wear down the grate evenly (probably nothing to be concerned

Comment

Hot coals on the right

Comment

I do not rotate it. I leave a slight air gap between the SNS and side of the kettle - very slight - and figure the SNS is helping prolong the life of my kettle, versus when I used to bank the coals right up onto the side of the bowl.

Another reason NOT to rotate - you want the top vent opposite the SNS. My kettle lid seals best in a certain orientation, and if I turn it to other orientations, it tends to leak smoke around the lid.

Comment

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mine is like that as well

I leave the SnS in the same place. I do however rotate the kettle 45* every other cook. It seems to keep everything in balance that way.

Comment

You must rotate it, or something terrible will happen. But it must be moved at timed intervals that are precise to the second. If you go over or under the prescribed interval, it is essential to perform the ritual of rubbing your hands together for 30 seconds, paying close attention to which hand goes forward first, and always ending with the the opposite hand going forward last. If the wrong had is forward at the 30 second mark...

Comment

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
                      You must rotate it, or something terrible will happen. But it must be moved at timed intervals that are precise to the second. If you go over or under the prescribed interval, it is essential to perform the ritual of rubbing your hands together for 30 seconds, paying close attention to which hand goes forward first, and always ending with the the opposite hand going forward last. If the wrong had is forward at the 30 second mark...
                      NOW SEE, that’s what I am talking about! Real world ( Mine anyway) advice!!!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                        hoovarmin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is a chain of rituals, each designed to nullify any mistakes in the previous one, but that post should be a sticky and it will be 345 pages long.

I leave mine in the back of the 26" kettle where the lid bail is located. That position has always worked for me. I also leave a 1/2-1" space between it and the side of the kettle. Like jfmorris said, I think this helps protect the kettle from excessive direct heat from the coals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here