Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna stay old school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ and bourbon,,,,,who’d a thunk it,,,,👍👍👍

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      Right!?

Gotta agree on some unnecessary BBQ accessories. I mean, an inverted metal cone just to cook wings??? Seriously???

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive actually found I really like the vortex. It puts off great heat and takes up a lot less room than two Weber pans put together.
      Granted I don’t need all the extra room on the 26 but I sure like flipping wings that are not stacked on top of each other! Im planning on giving it a go in the master touch and Ill bet its a game changer on that little 22 inch grate.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing. It's a pretty damned genius contraption.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve not seen one person, yet, here with a vortex that didn’t love it. Not only does it produce great crispy wings, reverse seared steaks and chops, but I now like having my charcoal in one vessel VS banked coals. In fact, I rarely bank my coals anymore. When doing wings pre-vortex I’d always have to rotate my wings on the grate. With the Vortex centered in the grill and the wings equidistant from it, now all I have to do is flip them once during the cook. A big plus for me.

I have a 26 inch Weber Kettle and agree with the OP. I have the SnS and use it for long cooks. I have no idea what the temps are, and really don’t care. My other gadget is a rotisserie for the kettle, because I love charcoal rotisserie chicken or lamb.

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      Roasts,P. B., the rib rack is pia to clean.
      I love the roti!

Love rotisseries! Now that's a gadget everyone should have access to. Wish I could modify my PK 360 to handle them .

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I still have a rotisserie for a 22" which I had to retire awhile back. Now I'm down to a WSCG and as much as I miss using it I just can't get myself to pony up $250 for a freaking rotisserie that will fit it. I've seriously considered just buying a used 22” for a fraction of the Joetiserrie just so I can use it.

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      I have always wanted to try one but never have. It’s not like I doing have a spare kettle or three I couldn’t make into a dedicated one….

I will try some new things, but when it came to replacing my main cooker (Okie Joe Longhorn) I could not convince myself to consider anything but an off Set

Comment

I told my dad that his food would be much better if he were to invest in a meat thermometer. He said "that would take the cowboy out of it." Of course, he cooks with propane, so...

Comment

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        That cracked me up!

You do what works for you!

That said, can you smoke and sear without a SNS or Vortex? Sure!

However, this is where I feel they BOTH excel, and that is for searing. Unless you buy some firebricks and stack them up to the bottom of the grate, I cannot see a good way to pile charcoal up to where you can have it literally an inch below the grate, and get surface of the sun searing temperatures on your kettle.

I've got a Weber Performer with a SNS and Vortex, and a SNS Deluxe Kamado with the SNS. I am finding more and more that for long low and slow smokes on the kamado, I just use it in traditional kamado mode. I only setup the SNS in that cooker if I also want to sear something I am first cooking indirect. Steaks or kabobs or shawarma for example. And to be honest, I ought to start turning on the flat top to do some of those sears, as it sits next to the kamado. And unless I need more smoking space or want to use the rotisserie ring, I seem to be leaving the Vortex setup in the Performer all the time. I only setup the SNS in the Performer if I am using the rotisserie, as it does help bank the coals to one side, or if I want to do low and slow smoking on the Performer.

Comment

jfmorris

I’ll keep playing with the SNS. It’s a fantastic charcoal basket but I do miss the ability to knock over my bank of coals to burn on sauce or crisp up herbs etc and just don’t need 500+ degrees to do that and often need more room then it offers over the coals.

I'm looking forward to working it for butts and briskets as that’s where I’m guessing it will fit into my usages. I might employ it for ribs and just light off a second kettle to do my sauce burn in.

I don’t do a bunch of searing so it’s use for that is lost on me. I smoke bbq and do a great deal of general grilling. I cook most everything indirect and while it’s absolutely great at dividing the kettle into 2 zones it’s almost too good at it for me and my style. I guess you just can’t please some people!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here