Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year's Pulled Pork Meathead Style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Year's Pulled Pork Meathead Style!

I had a 12 pound pork shoulder roast I had been ready to cook for a while. It seemed way too big, so I cut it in two before cooking. Salted it up, and left it in the fridge about 12 hours or so. I pulled her out this morning and gave her a generous rubdown with Memphis Dust. Got the grill going, and plopped the meat on and let her go. I had a nice ambient temp of 53 degrees, so we settled right into 225, and hung around that benchmark. At about 140 degrees meat temp, I cranked the grill up to 275 to blow through the stall, since I was a little pressed for time. I lost my patience at 201 degrees meat temp, and pulled her off. I don't think the 2 degrees made much difference. I served it up open-faced with my own homemade sourdough bread, with a choice of my own barbecue sauce, or Barrister Dew's Pulled Pork Sauce. Amazing! Unbelievable! You can see the results.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Thunder77; January 1, 2016, 11:34 PM.

Nice cook Thunder77 looks great

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

Thunder77 Well done! Yeah that 2 degrees probably doesn't matter. I try to tell people 200-205 since really the meat doesn't care. There's no magical waypoint at 203, it's just a common goal. Mostly it's a product of the temp and the time it takes to get there. By the time it gets to that 200-205 area, the good stuff has happened. Did you go unwrapped the whole way? How long did the cook take to completion?

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Unwrapped all the way. The smaller piece was done more quickly. about 8 hours. The larger part had the bone in, and took about 10.5 hours. As I said, I did blow through the stall, but I took it back down to 225 after the meat hit 170 internal. BTW, thanks Guest for that great tip! I knew it was going to be good when I took it off the grill; My Bear Claws sank right in. Woohoo!
      Last edited by Thunder77; January 2, 2016, 12:43 AM.

Thunder77 I always try to pull mine at 200° and put it in a faux cambro for a couple of hours, but time constraints have forced me to do all sorts of things like wrap, crank it up to 300 or put it in the oven. All have gotten good results. I consider the Shoulder or Boston Butt to be the most forgiving peice of meat when it comes to cooking, since there are a variety of ways to produce good results. I usually cook 10-11 pound Butts whole. I put one on yesterday at 5:30pm @ 225, and it crossed 180 about an hour ago. I plan to pull, wrap and faux cambro until lunch time.

Comment

Thunder77 I'm glad it turned out so great! We talked on the phone a couple nights ago, right?

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        @ Pit Boss, yes we did. I used all the pointers you gave me, and no one complained of too much smoke flavor. I think you were right, I just got too impatient to put my meat on the grill, and didn't wait for the right smoke. This time it was a beauty! Nice clean, thin white smoke, and no aftertaste. And the bark! Oh man! :-)
        Last edited by Thunder77; January 2, 2016, 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Aaron Franklin comments in his book that he gauges his briskets by look and feel, but he has noted that 203 seems to be the most common correlation with IT but that it should not be taken as a a magic or hard and fast rule.

Comment

Looks great to me, especially the bread.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I make some awesome sourdough bread! So says everyone who has eaten it! :-)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here