Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Here! It's Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Here! It's Here!

I'm just like a kid at Christmas. Wait it is Christmas! :-) Mine arrived on Friday, way sooner than I expected. I opened the box, and beheld a creation of stainless steel beauty as yet unrivaled in my BBQ experience! I did a dry run, following the instructions. I set 'er up at approx 4pm, 39 degrees ambient air temp, and breezy. At 4:12 the lid went on, and in 15 minutes I was at 225! I had to go to the store, so my wife kept an eye on things, and I came back an hour later, and she was holding at 266. The question I have is: Is that too high for a low 'n slow? I could not get it any lower, even with vents closed. And this was on a 39 degree day. Imagine what spring or summer would be like. I did notice that on the top vent side of the lid, a lot of smoke was coming out under the lid. I guess I need to go get some binder clips, like I saw in a post somewhere on this site. Or is there a gasket kit available for the Weber? Or could I fabricate one myself?

Another positive thing I noticed is that if you do have to lift the lid, the temp comes back up very quickly with the SnS. Much more quickly than with a regular setup. After doing my temp tests, I decided not to waste the charcoal, and browned up some bratwurst I had steamed earlier, and crisped up some chicken wings. Wooohoo! What a hot fire that SnS makes! I got some beautiful mahogany brown sausages, with NO grill marks! Love it!

A couple more questions: If you were doing a 325, instead of low 'n slow 225, would you light all the charcoal first, then add to the kettle, or light using the same method as for a 225? Also, is it necessary to cover the exposed part of the charcoal grate with foil, as I have seen in some pictures? And would you recommend halving a 12 lb butt before cooking?

!!!!! IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP!!!!!! PLEASE REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION ABOUT POURING THE WATER IN OPPOSITE OF WHERE THE COALS ARE BURNING!!!! I somehow forgot that important point, and almost got steam burns on my hand for my stupidity. Fortunately, I had gloves on, and avoided injury. But be aware that adding the water next to the burning coals WILL result in immediate boiling and steaming. It does tell you this in the instructions. I guess I got so excited that I forgot.
    Last edited by Thunder77; December 20, 2015, 12:44 PM.

Thunder77, Congratulations on your New S 'n S! You are going to enjoy it! I know I Do! You may want to keep referring back to the ABC.Com web site for lighting instructions and don't over look the Recipe Section for tips! I going to leave the rest of the good advice to come from those with more experience than I have! I bet the Cavalry is on Its Way! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Congrats on your new SNS. You have a lot of great BBQ cooks a head of you.

Comment

Did you open your presents before Christmas when you were a kid? I guess now you are cooking Christmas dinner.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, I just ordered it because I wanted it! My wife doesn't complain so far. She likes the goodies I cook up too much. :-) And I almost always cook at least part of Christmas Dinner! It's kind of a joint effort around our house.
          Last edited by Thunder77; December 21, 2015, 07:53 AM.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest that's the way it is at my house, too. My wife says cook on. I'm not a turkey fan, but smoking it helps. So, it's that and Cherry Cheese Cobbler on my Big Green Egg for Christmas dinner. Right now I have a Boston Butt cooking at 240 for my kids and grandkids scheduled to arrive today. What are you cooking? By the way I'm giving my son a SlowNSear for his 26" Weber kettle for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy New Year.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; December 21, 2015, 09:44 AM. Reason: Addition

Originally posted by jgjeske1 View Post
        I'm just like a kid at Christmas. Wait it is Christmas! :-) Mine arrived on Friday, way sooner than I expected.
        Very glad you're happy with our ship speed =)

​and she was holding at 266. The question I have is: Is that too high for a low 'n slow?
        You can easily maintain 225 F with the Slow 'N Sear. You just need to use the binder clips or gasket you mentioned. Leaks happen when the lid gets warped.

A couple more questions: If you were doing a 325, instead of low 'n slow 225, would you light all the charcoal first, then add to the kettle, or light using the same method as for a 225?
        Check out our lighting instructions here.

Also, is it necessary to cover the exposed part of the charcoal grate with foil, as I have seen in some pictures? And would you recommend halving a 12 lb butt before cooking?
        I like to use the foil to catch drippings. It makes cleanup much easier. You can cut the butt in half or leave whole... That's more of a personal preference kind of thing.

!!!!! IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP!!!!!! PLEASE REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION ABOUT POURING THE WATER IN OPPOSITE OF WHERE THE COALS ARE BURNING!!!!
        Yes! Very important.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here