Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber kettle charcoal ring and deflector plate: first cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber kettle charcoal ring and deflector plate: first cook.

Sittin’ here with the post-bbq buzz.

It’s all pretty straightforward, there’s no "Where the hell does this go?" about anything. Ring goes on grate, charcoal goes in ring, fire goes on charcoal, plate goes on top, etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	633EF1FA-9EA7-45EE-982C-AA7CC524497C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	1257738

I used my DigiQ on this cook, mostly because I never do any low and slow on the Kettle and I wanted the extra security. (But also because I drilled the damn holes, and now I’m going to use them.) I set up the minion method, where you light just the center of the coals. I got the charcoal rolling until it didn’t give off that Kingsford smoke, and then I tossed a couple chunks of hickory on top, installed the plate (with foil). The smoke is the hickory igniting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E93A1698-DD32-4B4C-8B16-77DDB9FA63C2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	1257739

When everything hit 250°, on went the ribs. Time was 1:06 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	145EDF7C-1D57-4972-A109-2E0D4998655E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1257741

Click image for larger version  Name:	B77539C9-DAE8-476C-A0BE-4255520AA3DE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	1257740

The rib cook is a rib cook; I know they’re going to come out fine, but how easy will it be? What will I have to mind? It turns out, not much of nothing! I babysat them for about an hour, then I felt confident enough to go to the supermarket. I came back 90 minutes later, and the Kettle was rock solid at 250°.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5E1176AC-808F-4CB5-8438-D820E252254B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	1257742

For the next hour or so, everything was completely uneventful. I opened the lid to spritz, the temperature dropped, then in about 2-3 minutes it was 250° again.

At about 5 PM I had a minion failure; the pit temp started dropping. I caught it at 237°. I attribute this to my weakness with Kettles and low & slow; this was my first minion cook. It looks like it ran all to one side, and the near side was all unburnt coal.

This was actually a good thing for the test, because I got to find out how easy it would be to fix. And the answer is, eh. Easy enough if you have places to put hot things, and gloves to handle them. I pulled the grate with the ribs, removed the deflector plate, stirred the coals, refilled the water pan, and put it all back together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	777CC23E-B9E0-4079-9808-333B7A9258BC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1257743

For the next 45 minutes I was chasing temperatures. It maxed at 275°, bottomed at 220°. This happened when I was learning the BGE, too. No worries. I made smaller and smaller adjustments, and finally got it settled in. By that time, the cook was almost over, so I sauced up the rack and let it all go another half an hour. I closed all the vents, removed the DigiQ, and let the pit temp fall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7CED24AC-A04A-48A7-81BE-DD12A6172D7B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1257744

The ribs were what I expected. They’re grocery store ribs, but they were on sale… but look how thick the meat is on that rack. They could have trimmed it some.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6766434-0C41-4149-AB35-626325F4F624.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1257755

Smoke taste is mild. Next time I’ll toss more hickory in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7893F245-499A-4E80-850C-D9EDC8F98C73.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1257756

Tenderness is off the charts. These are done to "just a bit of tug".

Click image for larger version  Name:	DE5FD0EE-A705-4D28-B5F8-705D2033DB1D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1257757

All in all, I’m pleased. I was wondering, like jfmorris mentioned, would there be any doneness gradient from edge to center to edge; no, not really. Definitely not as much as there is on the LBGE! I tried a rib from the middle, and one from each end; they were all excellent, nothing dried out. As far as fitting racks, I’d say, 3 without caring how you squeezed them on, and 4 if you arrange them. And more if you stand them on end, or use the Hovergrill that jfmorris mentioned.

If you do it, you’re in for $100. But, if you had every Kettle accessory you really wanted, you could buy a Komodo Kamado… or at least a WSCGC. This purchase fit ME. I needed a way to create a second low & slow station that could do a large capacity. This does that. If you see yourself needing the same, this works.

I like it. I’ll keep using it.
    Last edited by Mosca; July 19, 2022, 06:11 PM.

Next you should test it at full capacity to see how much usable space this setup delivers.
    Last edited by Attjack; July 19, 2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I agree. I got it because we were going to host a big bash next month, and I didn’t want that to be my first try with a new toy. But now the bash is postponed, and I don’t want to make 4 racks of ribs and a 19 lb brisket. It looks like we’ll do it next spring, assuming everyone is still here.

Great write up! Ribs look great

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I’m at the point where I know they’re going to be great, but how do they get there? So now I’m learning low & slow Kettle. New cooker, new fuel (briqs instead of lump), new fire method.

Nailed it the first time, can't wait for the 3rd time, it's a charm.

Comment

This is exactly what I’m looking for. I have a 26 inch kettle and SnS but it does take up too much space.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the standard size SnS in my 26” kettle. It’s absolutely up to the task and I’m able to use more of the grate than if I went with the bigger SnS.

Mosca I bought the defuser plate for the Oklahoma Joe Bronco (about $35). I had to make a slight bend in the hanger for it to fit my BGE, and it hangs lower than Egg defuser. I really like the way it smoke roasts at 350-375. I haven’t tried it on low and slow, but you have inspired me to try it on my next rib cook.

Comment

I've wanted the Weber ring and diffuser plate ever since I saw a Tom Horsman video reviewing the specific Kettle model it came out with (and apparently was a one and done, no longer available). (Tried to replicate it with a Lodge 15" CI pizza pan atop the kettle charcoal baskets - but for me, when the coals needed any tending I was buggered - at the time the kettle was my only cooker, so nowhere to put that many hot things; especially a dripping rack of whatever I was cooking at the time!)

This Weber set up you're reviewing was what *I* was looking for way back when I posted my inquiry for more low n slow real estate on my 22 Kettle. Of course, everybody and his brother hammered the Slow n Sear (SnS) cuz ... heck, I have NO idea why that thing gets the rave reviews it does. Bought one, tried it (several cooks) and because it doesn't work *for me*, returned it (thanking Amazon's generous return policy all the way to the bank!).

Excellent write up Mosca, very informative and perfectly done (like those wibs ).

And another shout out to Clay ( CHNeal) who very kindly spent much of his time imparting his centuries (ok, decades ) of Kettle skills on this cranky old newby!

FWIW - my go to tool for set n forget / low n slow is my new Char-Griller Auto Kamado, which has a 10# butt roast on it as we speak \o/

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Having already owned a Vortex, I finally caved about 2 years ago and asked for the entry SnS as a Christmas present. While it does make things a little easier, it does take up a ton of space.

I agree had this been available at the time of purchase I would have never bought either of the above.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here