Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Review of The Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Review of The Slow 'N Sear

When I was in college and graduate school at the University of Florida (1970 – 1977), I had a charcoal grill. I don’t remember the manufacturer, but it wasn’t a Weber. I was an infrequent backyard cook, mostly hamburgers and hot dogs when friends came over, and an occasional steak when I could afford it. I tried to cook ribs and chicken, but the ribs were almost burned and still very tough, and the chicken burned on the outside and was raw on the inside. That’s because I was cooking them over direct heat.

After I finished my schooling and had my first job, I got a charcoal water smoker and was able to cook barbecued ribs, chicken, brisket and pork butts. I became very popular in my neighborhood as my neighbors frequently enjoyed my barbecue because they, like me, didn’t know about setting up indirect heat on their grills for cooking low and slow. More importantly, most people were not going to invest in both a grill and a smoker for their backyard cooking.

But now a new devise, the slow ‘N Sear, enables backyard cooks to turn their relatively inexpensive Weber Kettle grill into a first class water smoker. The approximately five-pound Slow ‘N Sear is two laser cut pieces of 16 gauge 304 stainless steel formed into a charcoal basket holding 80-90 briquettes with a V-shaped one-quart water reservoir on it’s side. It’s good for cooking at 225 degrees for 8 hours or more without adding charcoal, and 5 hours or more without adding water. Put wood chunks on the coals on the direct heat side, and the indirect heat side turns a Weber kettle grill into a smoker that will cook barbecue as good as smokers that cost thousands of dollars. And by using the reverse-sear method, starting your steaks on the indirect heat side, then searing them on the direct heat side over the coals, you can grill thick steaks as good as any gourmet steakhouse.

I used a Slow ‘N Sear for the first time last Saturday to smoke a turkey. I cooked the spatchcoked turkey for 90 minutes at 322 degrees. It was the best smoked turkey that I and my wife, Kate, have ever had: juicy, moist, tender, with a great smoky flavor. Here are some pictures.

Congratulations to David Parrish for developing this accessory that enables turning an inexpensive Weber kettle grill into a smoker that can cook competition level barbecue.

This would be a great review on Amazon! Can you put it or one similar there (if you haven't already)? It was designed by bright people and works well, glad you enjoy it as so many others do. Here's to many more cooks!

Comment

Thanks Allen! You're gonna make me tear up, Sir. Seriously, I appreciate it. It's been a lot of hard work (and continues to be) but it's been a whole lot of fun too.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        It works, but not as well as the SnS

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully it is better than the smokenator -- after multiple uses I find it to be a PIA with such a small fire basket - even with the tiny water pan removed. I actually prefer ribs cooked horizontally a bit lower and slower than the PBC's near roasting temps. Might have to try the SNS.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        IMHO you cannot compare the Smokenator to the Slow 'N Sear. I've had dozens if not hundreds of customers tell me this. Check the Amazon reviews.

Those of us who bought the S 'n' S direct from ABC can't comment on Amazon. However, I can't say enough good things about mine and the great personal service I got from Adrenaline.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        You actually can leave a review on Amazon, it just won't say "Verified Purchase". The reviews really help us, so please leave one!

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish is right - I didn't buy mine through Amazon but did post a review.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        The review has been submitted.

George D

Beautiful skin on that bird...just gorgeous! Hats off to David Parrish for giving us this wonderful accessory.

Comment

Thanks for this string! I've been using the smokenator for a few years with the Maverick two probe thermometer. It's been ok but I would smoke more if I had more time to tend the coals to maintain temp. It takes 10-12 hours with poking or adding coals several times fo a load of ribs or venison summer sausage. I've considered a temp regulator, but that won't add coals!
      I'd like to know if someone actually compared the SNS to the Smokenator who can a offer side by side comparison (the reviews I've seen were really about the SNS and a line to say it's better than the Smokenator). Did it really maintain temp for 8 hours? Is it worth the cost of throwing away my Smokenator?

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        I use both. Depends what I have going on. The SnS is superior to the Smokenator in every way except that the smokenator gives you more grate space as it takes up less room. I incorporate both into my smoking depending on what I have going on so don't get rid of it. Buy a used kettle on craigslist and put it to work when need be.

• Dman
        Dman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks JFmorris and OSB, I really appreciate your feedback!

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        never used a smokenator love my sns!

I smoked a spatchcock turkey last Thanksgiving and a spatchcock chicken more recently on my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center, using the SNS Low Profile. Did them around 300 degrees, using one chunk of hickory for a bit of smoke flavor. I put a disposable pan with about 12oz of chicken stock under the bird. Both turned out fabulous! Super moist.

Comment

You've got a dream machine there, RAGBBQ , the WSCGC and the Lo-Profile SnS. I'm cooking on that exact same setup today, a couple of chuckies. I use the recommended DnG for a baffle/drip pan.

Congrats on those 5 star cooks!

Kathryn

Comment

• RAGBBQ
          RAGBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I love it! I also have the DnG. Helps keep the grill clean as well.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. The SnS/DnG combo makes kettle grilling on the WSCGC so much fun. Good to hear you're pleased with the DnG as well. I still wrap mine in foil because I don't want to scrub it clean after each cook (when used as a drip tray/baffle).

K.

• RAGBBQ
          RAGBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I always wrap my DnG in foil. Happy grilling!

Welcome to the club. Kettle + SnS is the best cooking purchase I've made in the 6 years the wife and I have lived in the same house.

Comment

I recently saw a youtube video that was critical of the SNS saying it is not necessary. The guy would use a bank of coals using the snake method and a cheap foil water pan. Seemed to work for him and I am sure others. However as I get older and more mature I want things to be clean and efficient.

Plus items for the SNS. I do not have to waste time stacking a certain number of pieces of charcoal a certain way. Also do not have to worry about moving around a flimsy makeshift water pan. Also with the drip and griddle I get something to cover the bottom 100% and is made for the kettle. Griddle cooking is nice for 100% outdoor stuff such as bacon and eggs. Also faster start. Do not have to wait for the snake to start up right. Just dump coals from a chimney and fill the water and you are cooking with gas. The other big plus that is the biggest is you can do a true dual zone. Meaning you want to sear some shrimp or anything then let it fully cook on the other side no problem....in fact just plain easy. Nothing is absolutely required but there are definitely things you buy that make life easier.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Convenience, effectiveness and efficiency do have their merits! ;-)

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely said, BriggsBBQ.

• nnifnairb
            nnifnairb commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that video, too. What's funny to me is that there are tons of critics that say you don't need the SnS to do what the SnS can do, but none of them have the SnS. The vast majority of people who actually own one love it. Sure, you can find other ways of doing most things the SnS does, but not nearly as efficiently. This coming from someone who's owned the SnS a little over a week.

Originally posted by BriggsBBQ View Post
          I recently saw a youtube video that was critical of the SNS saying it is not necessary. The guy would use a bank of coals using the snake method and a cheap foil water pan. Seemed to work for him and I am sure others. However as I get older and more mature I want things to be clean and efficient.

Plus items for the SNS. I do not have to waste time stacking a certain number of pieces of charcoal a certain way. Also do not have to worry about moving around a flimsy makeshift water pan. Also with the drip and griddle I get something to cover the bottom 100% and is made for the kettle. Griddle cooking is nice for 100% outdoor stuff such as bacon and eggs. Also faster start. Do not have to wait for the snake to start up right. Just dump coals from a chimney and fill the water and you are cooking with gas. The other big plus that is the biggest is you can do a true dual zone. Meaning you want to sear some shrimp or anything then let it fully cook on the other side no problem....in fact just plain easy. Nothing is absolutely required but there are definitely things you buy that make life easier.
          It's not necessary. Neither is air conditioning or power steering in your vehicle! Lol. But it's designed to make things easier and more efficient, and that's exactly what it does, and it sounds like you see this too! I used to bank coals and use a brick and a water pan. Doing this is what got me to thinking about a product that does this but better.

Here's a couple videos highlighting the differences between using the SnS and a regular snake method side by side.

an unbiased review

from Dave himself

Comment

Hey Briggs,
            Couldn't agree more. Dave and the guys at ABC have a top of the line quality product. I purchased a new 22" Weber Performer back in May,and tricked in out with all the goodies from abcbarbecue. Started with just the SnS+,but just couldn't stop there! Added the Easy Spin grate (Weber's new style doesn't make it). Added the D'n G pan, grates from GrillGrate and the new XR50 came last week. Thought I had it covered, but wouldn't you know it......they came out with the SnS2.0! ..mines due in on Wednesday!👍
            These are great products! I don't care what any foul mouthed YouTube cry baby has to say. I think I saw the same video.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Not used the XR50. I wonder if it is like the other Mav's. My only complaint about the Mav is how quick it updates the temp. Not a big deal on slow and low but when you start using it for other stuff like is my fridge temp right then it is a factor.

Hey Briggs, the XR50 is brand new from Maverick. I pre ordered it from Abcbarbecue the first part of July and I just got it last week. Haven't had a chance to see how everything works yet. This is supposed to be a total upgrade? Still using my Therm Pro for now. I'll
            Keep ya posted on my feedback.

Comment

David Parrish The Slow n Sear is in a league of its own. As a professional I spend most of my life in a kitchen. I put the SnS up there with the Rational oven (combi), the Vitamix, Robo Coupe and the Hobart.

My kettles are freeking machines man!!

Huskee and Jon Solberg

Thank you for the great product.

Comment

I haven't regretted my SNS purchase for even a minute. I use mine almost every time I fire up my Weber. It is great for reverse searing steaks and tri-tip, does a great job with a spatchcocked chicken, and is awesome at long, slow cooks for brisket and pork butts. The SNS is much more than a one trick pony. And this thing is built like a tank.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here