Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Vortex Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Vortex Users

Calling all Vortex users! I am planning my inaugural cook with my Vortex tonight after work. I am making Cornell Chicken quarters on my Weber 22" Performer. Since I have never used this accessory before I realized I have no idea how much charcoal to add. I'm guessing I do not need the most extreme heat, so maybe don't fill it to the top, but what is the right amount of charcoal? Half full? 1/3 full?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Fill it up to the brim. For chicken you want it hot.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jfrosty27. How much do you fill a standard Weber Chimney to achieve a full Vortex of lit coals?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      efincoop I have a Weber Performer with gas assist starter. So I just fill it up and light the coals right in the Vortex.

I fill a full chimney to where it's heaping. The more hot coals the more heat.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye Captain, I'll giv'er all she's got.....warp 11! ;-)

The sauce has raw egg in it, so you may need to dial the heat back a bit. I do normally fill the Vortex when cooking wings, but I use any charcoal leftover from previous cooks in the bottom unlit and dump lit coals on top. I also don't add any sauce until about 10 min before pulling, but Meathead sez baste every 10 min - your call.

And don't forget that larger pieces take longer to cook and may burn before reaching a safe temp if cooked too hot.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say, and am looking forward to your results.

Comment

What they said..👆👆 Fill her up to the top of the chimney, you do want it hot. Place the vortex in the center of the charcoal grate, wide side down. If using wood, place your wood chunks, don’t use chips they won’t last, on top of the cooking grate directly above the vortex. Place the lid back on and open both vents wide open. Let the wood chunks burn for a minute or two, then place your quarters on the outer edges of the grate, try not to get them too close to the vortex. Put the lid back on and let ‘em cook. A lot of people will rotate the lid about a 1/4 turn every 10 minutes for even smoke distribution. With the vortex you won’t have to rotate your pieces, just flip em once or twice. You got this, can’t wait to see your results!
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 5, 2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

What is the temp you're shooting for? When I use my Vortex in my Weber 22" Kettle, I'm shooting for 375-400 d. So I put in between 1/2 to 3/4 of a Chimney of lite coals. I also have an older Weber so all the bottom vents are at 1/2 and the top vent is at 1/2.

My chicken quarters get done in about 1 hour and I turn at the 1/2 hour mark. Nicely roasted and tender meat.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	32064262-0D05-47A5-ADF3-E39F05C698C2.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1201408 Don't forget to put foil around the outer edge of the vortex. This will force the air through the V and makes cleanup easier.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; April 5, 2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks HawkerXP ! I saw someone do that while looking for YouTube videos, but only saw 1 person do it, so it's good to hear some from the pit endorse the practice. We all like easier clean up!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Or buy a pizza pan not quite as big as your charcoal grate and cut a hole in the center for airflow to the vortex.

So...... Like most things in life I see a lot of options. Does the marinade (with egg) change any of the full bore recommendations? Meathead recommends "Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Try to get the indirect side in the 225°F range. If you're in a hurry, you can take it up to 325°F, but I prefer low and slow."

I guess I missed that part in my excitement to use the Vortex. I think I'm going to proceed with my plan, but I don't want to burn the outside of the chicken, so I may start with the Vortex 3/4 full like TripleB does. Then I can always add more charcoal if needed. Thoughts?

I love Panhead John 's suggestion of adding the wood chunk on the grate over the vortex!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, once you start cooking the only way to add wood or charcoal is to remove the grate.

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP if you have the cooking grate with the removable center piece, then it is really easy. I bought one and also gave one to my brother for Christmas (along with a Vortex).

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Forgot about them. TripleB

efincoop if your performer is the Deluxe version with propane ignition, I've actually been SKIPPING the chimney, and just filling my Vortex with coals, narrow side up, and then running the propane for about 5 minutes, and leaving the lid off the kettle until flames are shooting out the top of the Vortex. I.e. it is its own chimney. I then start the cook, with the vents all wide open.

So far chicken is all I've done with the Vortex. Wings, thighs, and halves.

Note that by the time all the charcoal is lit, with it starting full of briquettes, you will be down to about 3/4 full. By the end of the cook you will only be about 1/2 full. I have just been stirring those coals around to drop the ashes, adding more new charcoal, and cooking again. I've left the Vortex in my Performer most of the time since I got it.

I've not done a recipe with egg on the chicken, but did do Attjack 's (I think) Kettle Fried Vortex Chicken Thigh recipe, which is brined overnight in pickle juice then breaded. I had no issue with breading burning on the chicken with a full vortex and all vents wide open.
        Last edited by jfmorris; April 5, 2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr You’re correct, a full chimney will fill the vortex to the top

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll check to see how much the Vortex holds just so I know. I have the Weber paraffin wax starter cubes.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I love those weber cubes and keep a jar of them in my outdoor kitchen at all times. I even use them to start the fire pit.

A lot of good advice here, though I'd ask the question; "Have you ever cooked Cornell Chicken on a kettle without using the Vortex?". If so, what kettle temp did you cook it at, and were you happy with the results? I'm not convinced that everything you cook with the Vortex needs to have a screaming hot fire, and that's certainly not the way it is marketed. My advice would be to follow whatever recipe you're using when it comes to the temp of the cooker for the first cook and then adjust from there.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW - I just recently bought a Vortex clone and haven't used it yet, so take my advice with a grain or two of kosher salt. :-)

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @pkdare. I bought the Vortex clone that Panhead John has. I have cooked Cornell chicken using my Slow-n-Sear, but the skin was not as crispy as I thought it should be. That's why I was anxious to try making it using the Vortex.

I agree with pkadare follow the recipe instructions.

When I cook wings or thighs on the Vortex I go inferno. I don't think I would if I was spatchcocking a whole or half bird. I would shoot for 350-375.

Meathead any suggestions here?

Comment

You’re getting a lot of great advice here, some a little different than others, but it’s all good. I’ve never made the type of chicken you’re doing tonight, but I can say this….with a vortex full of screaming hot coals and both vents wide open, I’ve never had an issue with burning the chicken. This was always with individual legs or wings. If you leave it on too long or get too close to the coals, yes you can burn it. But, when placing the chicken, or any meat on the grate, you should always place the thickest part of the meat facing the vortex. It’ll get a little more heat and cook a little quicker this way. Also place your chicken to the outermost edges of the grate.

Directly above the coals at grate level, I’ve measure the temperature at 980* before, which is normal. But remember that the lid vent on the kettle is near the top and a lot of that heat is going thru the vent and outside. The rest is circulating through the kettle, but at grate level and away from the vortex it’s not gonna be anywhere near those kind of temps. As a test one day because I was curious, I took my IR thermometer and measured the temps on top of the kettle lid, over where my chicken was. It measured around 375-395 at different spots. Not that it was some sort of scientific experiment, but it kinda gave me an idea of what temps might be near grate level. Anyway, however you do it I’m sure it’ll be good!
          Last edited by Panhead John; April 5, 2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Seeing as this is my first run and I don't have time for a test run, I plan to measure a full vortex full of charcoal and dump that plus a few extra briquettes in my chimney and light it. Once they are mostly ashed over, I'll dump them into vortex and arrange the chicken per Panhead John 's recommendation. I'll monitor the cook closely and if the chicken starts to burn before it is at 165° I'll react accordingly and either close the vents down or move to my oven.

Comment

May be a bit late on advice, you're probably cooking as we speak but I agree with the idea of slowing down the vortex with larger pieces of chicken and a more sensitive marinade. Here are some leg quarters I marinaded and cooked with about 3/4 of a chimney of coals. It doesn't always need to be ripping hot, you tend to burn before the interiors are cooked. Good luck !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	chick 03.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1201618

Comment

Well I'm a Vortex believer. I followed the plan I outlined above. The Vortex I have holds more than a standard Weber chimney, so I went with a heaping chimney and dumped it in once the coals were fully involved. It filled the Vortex just a little less than 100% full. I arranged the chicken and added the wood chunks to the center of the grate per Panhead John 's suggestion, but forgot to snap a picture of that step.

The kettle temp at the grate was between 411° - 429°. The chicken was @ 165° - 170° in 40 minutes!

The results were very good. The skin was crioy and the flavor was spot on. The only think that kept it from being excellent was the bottom of the chicken was not crispy, so next time I'll flip once the top skin is crispy, maybe half way through?

The other take away is the vortex gets the Kettle lid handle very hot! So I'll be sure to wear gloves next time when lifting the lid.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experience and suggestions!

Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats on the cook sir! Looks very good. And yeah, during the cook you should flip the chicken at least once. I’m glad you checked the grate temps with the vortex. I did the same thing tonight and just posted my results. I didn’t remember anyone else here posting about Vortex grate temps, so I thought I’d check for myself.

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is some mighty fine lookin' chicken there.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here