Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butt on the Weber and S 'n S Combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butt on the Weber and S 'n S Combination

First attempt at cooking a Butt on the Weber and S 'n S combination. Nine pound Hormel Butt @ $2.49/lb. Rubbed with Dan's Damned Good BBQ Rub yesterday afternoon, freezer bag and in the fridge overnight. Flipped the Bag Over every 3-4 hrs. Out of fridge 7:00 AM, set out while grill was lit and prepped. Slathered with Oil placed on a rack an on the Grill 8:00AM. At 9:18 AM when this is being written Grill Temp seems to have settled 237* F. More as the day Progresses! Dan. Note: Apple Wood Chunks for Smoke!
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 25, 2015, 08:32 AM.

Gotta love fruit wood!

Comment

That's a great looking pork butt Danjohnston949 ...

Keep use posted with pictures.

Today is football and a taco bar...😎

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yahoo streamed the game in that soccer stadium overseas. First live football I've seen in years. Funny how they send Jacksonville over the pond so often.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard ...

The owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars has other business interest in Europe. He wants to develop the NFL in Europe. He can afford it.😎

Shahid "Shad" Khan (born July 18, 1950)[2][1] is a Pakistani-American billionaire businessman. He is the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL), the English Football League Championship team Fulham F.C., and automobile parts manufacturer Flex-N-Gate in Urbana, Illinois.

As of May 2015, Khan's net worth is over $5.6 billion. He is ranked 121st in the Forbes 400 list of richest Americans and is overall the 360th wealthiest person in the world.[3][4] He is also one of the richest persons of Pakistani origin.

Khan was featured on the front cover of Forbes magazine in 2012, associating him as the face of the American Dream.[5]

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Wowzer, didn't realize it had been that long since I had tea and crumpets with notable billionaires.

11:00 AM Update on the Boston Butt. Having to tweak the Vent settings. Bless the Maverick 733! More Later I guess you will have to turn your head over to read the Temp? Apple Crap, Dan
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 25, 2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I named them for ya.

Dan here are pics of the pork butt I made yesterday using the SnS in a 22" kettle and one load of Kingsford Blue Bag. Cooked 9 hours with final IT of 201F. I tried to keep the temp around 250F most of the day in order to get done in 9 hours. While the meat was in the stall I let the temp climb up to 265F. This really speeds up the cook. Once past the stall I bring temps back down to 250F or less, depending on how long I have until dinner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	085.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	117797

Name:	087.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	117798

Name:	091.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	117799

Name:	093.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	117801

Name:	094.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	117800

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Boss, That truly was a beautiful Pork Butt! 👌🍻😋🍻👍. Dan

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        lol, Dan this is actually a pretty easy result to obtain using the SnS. You can do it

• Brent_W
        Brent_W commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a beautiful piece of meat!

Just before Noon, Temp has creeped up to 262*-267* F in the past hour! Not a problem as big as the Butt is, have not opened the lid since 8:00 AM! I don't believe I will for another 4.00 hrs. That is provided I still have fire! Temp. Has climbed to 46* F up 10* since 8:00 AM! More Later, Dan

Comment

1:00 PM and all is well haven't adjusted the vents since Noon. Both Temp Probes are on the Grill for your info! A few more dollars can solve that little hang up in the plan! 😙 More Later, Dan

Comment

Shook the Ashes down at 1:30 PM and reset the lower vent. Current Temp. +- 250* F, Outside Temp 50* F. More Later, Dan

Comment

3:00 PM, Temp Drop to +- 230* since last hour, going to open the lower vent a little more. I haven't opened the Weber since 8:00 AM when I started! Dan

Comment

Forgot to upload the Temp. Pic. Dan

Comment

Is your meat at 145F internal?

Comment

3:30 PM, Fire Died, But in Fairness David Parrish, Huskee, Adrenaline BBQ, and the Pit Club Members being predominately Scottish by heritage I did not have quite a full chimney of Kingsford Blue when I Started at 8:00 AM. Going to take it Off Now and Into the Oven! Live and Learn 🎓. Dan

Comment

It's easy to relight. You don't have to leave the butt in the oven. Just get some more coals going.

For long cooks I overfill the charcoal basket. My hinged grate will be slightly open with extra charcoal pressed against it. Works like a champ for 11 or more hours at 225F

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      David Parrish, I believe you now Boss! I am just too damned Cheap like I said I am of Scottish Ancestors? Dan

David Parrish I haven't had the chance to do a long cook with the SnS yet but I have a 17lb choice brisket in the freezer and I will be testing the SnS out this coming weekend.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      NICE. Do you have an A-Maze-N Tube smoker? I used one yesterday and got some of the best smoke flavor I've ever tasted on my pork butt. Maybe CandySueQ has played around with one of these using her SnS?

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes David Parrish I do have one but I have never use it bc I really don't know how to use it. My plans is to over fill the SnS with KIngsford blue and adding hickory wood chunks. Going to try maintain a pit temp of 235-245 with the help of the PartyQ.
                      Last edited by DWCowles; October 25, 2015, 04:23 PM.

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Party Q works great with the SnS.

4:00 PM, Coals Completely Gone! Into the Oven Under the Careful Supervision of Someone Who Knows What She Is Doing? Just ask her! More Later, Dan

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks great Danjohnston949 nice bark!

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Dw, I appreciate the coments! I will Post some more Pics before the S--t Bird Mutts Get It! Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here