Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMOKENATOR ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMOKENATOR ?

Hey Guys - thinking about obtaining a smokenator - curreintly using the charcoal baskets that came with my 26.75 weber and having good success ...
    I also run a Cyber Q to help maintain temps ... would this new toy be of any benefit ?????

thanks

Sconnie

I looked into this a while back and after a getting quite a bit of feedback on different forums ended up using a $2 brick. It has worked very well.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I just bought a 26.75 Weber yesterday and I was thinking about buying a smokenator until I read this post. What type of brick are you using? I am assuming you can't just use any old brick.

• IrondeQuer
      IrondeQuer commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, Craigar, missed your question. I was looking for firebricks but several people told me it didn't matter. Looks like you found some!

I'm gonna try that brick trick! I've been considering the Smokenator too.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought some fire bricks @ Menards's for my 26.75" OTG and they worked great! I toyed around with the setup for the better part of a day smoking 3 racks of ribs, a sirloin roast, a whole chicken breast and a salmon filet. At first I was struggling to keep the temps below 300* until I put a disposable pan above the coals. After that I was able to regulate the lower temps, finally settling in between 225* & 240*. Since it was a cool day I didn't have to use any water in the pan. I also I had 2 drip pans, but they were empty as well. This week I am going to do a test run on a whole turkey breast, another sirloin roast and whatever else is in the fridge. For $15 I spent on the fire bricks (6 to a box and only used 2, but I'm sure I will eventually drop one and break it so I will have some spares), it was money well spent. I will take the savings from not purchasing a Smokenator and buy goodies to toss on the grill. Just my 2¢.

Nothing against the Smokenator (I own one and am willing to sell it!), but...

There is a new device out there that's half the price and a couple of orders of magnitude more useful.

It's called the Vortex, and it's made by a guy down in Casa Grande, AZ who goes by the online handle of Thunderdome. Attachments are super limited in size, so I can't upload the PDF file that shows the many different ways to use it. Just Google "Thunderdome Vortex" and you will see his blog. Check it out. I own 3, a prototype and 2 of the shipping versions (I have 2 Weber kettles). They're $30 each at MadHunkyMeats [dot] com.

If you buy one, and you own a Smokenator, I can promise you that your Smokenator will end up on Craig's List.

All of that said, using a fire brick to create the 2-zone cook is a great idea!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the first I have seen of that vortex. It looks like the perfect tool for reverse searing a steak. I was thinking about cutting my chimney in half and buying a new one, this thing seems like it's a step up. I'm not sure it will replace my smokenator, but once I get a PBC that won't matter.

• Gunderich_1
      Gunderich_1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just ordered the Vortex last week after watching it on Youtube. And I have the Smokenator. Which now means I will probably need to get another Weber so I can use both!

Link to the Vortex...http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30681

I have had a Smokenator for 3-4 years and love it. MH highly recommends it as well. I use the SN in conjunction with the Party Q from BBQ Guru and have had great results. No temp swings beyond 5-10 degrees.

That being said, I might get a Vortex for my other Weber

Comment

My brother in AZ sent me a link to a Smokenator type partition. A bit cheaper...

Your pro source for BBQ & grilling seasonings, sauces, accessories and advice. Unlock a world of flavors with our Factory Team Flavor Guide.

Comment

I love my Smokenator. I just got a Vortex a couple of weeks ago. It is the balls for searing. I do a lot of flank steaks. I two nights ago I got the best sear I have ever gotten and it was still rare! I had to move it off to the side and put the cover on to let it come to medium. Very fast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here