Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Insert with Lump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Insert with Lump?

Does anyone ever use lump in their SnS insert? Or is the preference briquettes only? I have two bags of Fogo right now, I don't foresee using the Hasty-Bake for the next couple months.

Thoughts and input totally appreciated

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
    I have two bags of Fogo right now, I don't foresee using the Hasty-Bake for the next couple months.
    Sounds like another write-up to me! Looking forward to your report.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Following……

I used lump in my SnS insert and temps ran a little higher and burn rate of the lump was faster than briquettes. But for faster cooks and searing, lump works great.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      steaks and chicken, it sounds like!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      What they said. I tried a bag of Cowboy this summer and it was fine but was like the above.

I use lump in my SNS from time to time. If I want a really hot sear I will usually grab some lump but when I want to control the temp a bit more I use briquettes. They are much more consistent and predictable.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That's interesting. I'm cooking some NY strips tomorrow, I think I'll try some lump with the SnS

I use lump, Rockwood, Fogo or Jealous Devil for hot and fast cooks. B&B briquets for low and slow ones. Works well for me.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      40 lbs of Fogo is calling my name!

I’ve done it. Works fine.

Comment

Sorry I can not help. I keep it simple and just use pellets in my pellet grill.

Comment

I've done it many times, works well. Just don't use those brands where the charcoal is ridiculously large, like you only add two pieces of charcoal and then the SnS is full

It is better for shorter cooks though. If I'm doing an all day cook, I always use briquettes for consistency. So much more predictable.

The main issue with charcoal, no matter the quality, is that it sometimes doesn't burn all the way from "left to right" if you get what I mean. Depending on the size of the individual charcoal pieces, when they burn and turn to ash sometimes they fall "away" from each other leaving a small gap so the fire stops its travel from one end to another. Easy to fix by adding a few more, but it needs more manual intervention.

So, for chicken and steaks, charcoal is great. But if you do butts, briskets, pork bellies, then briquettes is the #1 choice.

Comment

Eric ecowper I've used lump in the SNS on my Weber Performer a few times, and almost every time that I've used the insert on the SNS Deluxe Kamado. I find that if you use a fan controller it doesn't matter a lot. Without the fan controller, if I am monitoring cooker temps I see a bit more fluctuation with lump than I do briquettes. I think that is because of the irregular nature of lump. After all, if a big chunk of a log lights up, it spreads the fire and increases the heat more quickly than do smaller chunks igniting. But all in all it averages out the same.

For hot and fast cooks (over 300) it sure doesn't matter at all. I'm talking trying to maintain 225, you may get some jumps to 250 as larger chunks of lump ignite. It will settle back down though if you give it time. I found that often my fan controller on the Performer wasn't running the fan at all when using lump.

Comment

• TinyRob
            TinyRob commented
            Editing a comment
            This has been my experience with SnS with lump as well.

I agree with Henrik and you should try and use pieces that are close to the same size and not huge chunks.
          Ive been using B&B lump since last spring and have been super happy. I’ve actually been getting some pretty long burn times that rivals any briquettes I’ve used. I’ve also noticed, at least for me, that the lump responds faster to temperature adjustments I make.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here