Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow n Sear and the Jumbo Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow n Sear and the Jumbo Joe

Has anyone tried to use the SNS with the 18" Jumbo Joe? Due to the JJ's shallowness, the cook would have to be done on the bottom grate I am sure. I imagine that it would lend to a more even cook given the benefit of the water reservoir for a heat shield on the lower grate.

I had a welder friend make me smokenator type gadget for the Jumbo Joe and it works fairly well. I just ordered the SNS though for my other kettles and am interested to hear if anyone has tried it with the Jumbo yet.

It's too big, won't fit.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm restraining myself from making a joke!!!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you Ernest

I wasn't even thinking about the SNS begin made for the 22" when I posted my question. I should have first asked this - Do you have plans to make a SNS for the 18" Weber Kettle?

By the way, I got my SNS today and it is very well made and the steel is much thicker gauge than the Smokeneator. Hopefully, I'll get to put it to the test in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Casadetrevino View Post
      I wasn't even thinking about the SNS begin made for the 22" when I posted my question. I should have first asked this - Do you have plans to make a SNS for the 18" Weber Kettle?

By the way, I got my SNS today and it is very well made and the steel is much thicker gauge than the Smokeneator. Hopefully, I'll get to put it to the test in a couple of days.
      We've thought about it but the 18" is a bit small already. I'm not sure it makes sense to have the SnS in that size.

Glad you're liking the SnS quality. We definitely didn't skimp on materials or quality in manufacturing.

Just wait till you cook with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

We've thought about it but the 18" is a bit small already. I'm not sure it makes sense to have the SnS in that size.

Glad you're liking the SnS quality. We definitely didn't skimp on materials or quality in manufacturing.

Just wait till you cook with it!
        I would like to encourage you to manufacture a few for the 18". While traveling in my RV I lugged my 18" Weber around with me so I could get some good Q on the road. I purchased the 18" Smokenator and turned out some awesome ribs, pork butt, and salmon with it. The other consideration is that some people will be taking their Jumbo Joes camping and on outings. If they could fit an 18" SNS in that JJ (without the top grate on for sure) I am sure you would sell some units. I for one would buy one. Many retired folk are smoking only for two and aren't lugging around a 22". This could be a great selling point for a target audience!
        Just my 2 cents. Thanks for your responses and for the great product!

Comment

Originally posted by Casadetrevino View Post

I would like to encourage you to manufacture a few for the 18". While traveling in my RV I lugged my 18" Weber around with me so I could get some good Q on the road. I purchased the 18" Smokenator and turned out some awesome ribs, pork butt, and salmon with it. The other consideration is that some people will be taking their Jumbo Joes camping and on outings. If they could fit an 18" SNS in that JJ (without the top grate on for sure) I am sure you would sell some units. I for one would buy one. Many retired folk are smoking only for two and aren't lugging around a 22". This could be a great selling point for a target audience!
          Just my 2 cents. Thanks for your responses and for the great product!
          Casadetrevino I'm glad you like the Slow 'N Sear. Happy barbecue enthusiasts such as yourself are what make this worthwhile.

So I'm listening. If I were to build an SnS for the 18" kettle/JJ what would it look like? Is it just a smaller scale version of the original SnS? I'm not sure that'd work. The sear zone would be quite a bit smaller and you'd have a lot less charcoal capacity... If we made the SnS take up more space in the kettle to compensate for this we'd of course lose out on indirect side cooking... So what's the best dimensions for an SnS that fits the 18" or JJ?

Comment

Is it noteworthy to mention that if you have a smaller kettle, you are going to cook smaller pieces of meat? My thinking here is that maybe you don't need that extra charcoal. Or if you made the SNS take up more indirect room, maybe it wouldn't be that big of a problem since the meats you are smoking are smaller. Just a thought.
            David Parrish
            ​

Comment

I foresee scaling down current percentages to fit the 18" yielding ~3.5 hrs water life, and ~6hrs coal life.

Comment

I'd buy a scaled down SnS for my 22 kettle. Why? I find myself using the compact chimney to fire up the SnS.
                So that concentrated packed scaled down SnS would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Casadetrevino I'm glad you like the Slow 'N Sear. Happy barbecue enthusiasts such as yourself are what make this worthwhile.

So I'm listening. If I were to build an SnS for the 18" kettle/JJ what would it look like? Is it just a smaller scale version of the original SnS? I'm not sure that'd work. The sear zone would be quite a bit smaller and you'd have a lot less charcoal capacity... If we made the SnS take up more space in the kettle to compensate for this we'd of course lose out on indirect side cooking... So what's the best dimensions for an SnS that fits the 18" or JJ?
                  After looking at the 18" and 22" kettles today it looks like height of a 18" can remain the same. Adjusting the radius, top and base would get the unit to fit. If my math is correct, the 18" is about 18% smaller than the 22". Not sure if adjusting the radius according to that would get you the dimensions you need.

The other consideration is the depth of the SNS, by this I mean the measurement from front to back. It looks like the SNS is currently about 8 3/4" (?). This would be too deep for the 18", taking up nearly half of the kettle. So that would need to be scaled back.

In my past smokes with the 18" and the Smokenator I used the minion method. I only used about 7 coals to get the coals going as opposed to 10-11 for the 22". If my cooking journal is right, those coals lasted over 5 hours and maintained a good smoking temp. It is possible that a smaller kettle will require less burning coal to maintain a good temperature. So it is possible that no efficacy will be sacrificed from downsizing the unit.

If you do make a prototype unit, another thing that you may want to test is how temps fair on the lower grate. When using my Jumbo Joe and the homemade gadget I mentioned in my first post, the temps were a bit hard to keep up on the lower grate. This would be a consideration because the Jumbo Joe is more shallow between the cooking grate to coal grate - so smoking would have to be done on the lower grate. Unless of course you make a unit just for the JJ. Hey, this is kind of like remodeling the bathroom - one thing always needs to another. At least it will all lead to some good vittles! And with no wife involved, no need to keep a marital counselor on retainer.

I'll be cheering for you if you go for it!
                  Last edited by Casadetrevino; September 22, 2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great info. Thanks! We're thinking about it.

Any more thoughts on this Pit Boss? The only kettle I have right now is the 18-inch Jumbo Joe that was being sold at Wal-Mart earlier this year. I'd buy a Slow 'N Sear if it would work with that kettle. Thanks!

Comment

I bought a Jumbo Joe on close out this fall. I haven't used it yet, but have have used a two zone fire an the snake or fuse method on my son's 26 inch kettle. I am guessing those two methods will have to suffice in the absence of a SlowNSear for the Jumbo Joe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here