Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20" brisket with the Slow 'N Sear?? Tape measure says I am good to go!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20" brisket with the Slow 'N Sear?? Tape measure says I am good to go!!

Will find out for sure tomorrow night or early Saturday morning. Cooking early to reheat on Sunday for lunch. The reheat time is waaaaaaay more predictable than the cook time.

Another last minute brisket, so it was off to the "Selects Gallore" "Selects Only" "Choice? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Choice" brisket bin.

Currently dry brining. Gonna 225 this dude to death, he may taste some butcher paper near the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	108875

Just what I'm been waiting for you to do Jerod Broussard Please take lots of pics

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll fill you up. If the wife doesn't roll her eyes at least twice, I haven't taken near enough pics.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha Jerod Broussard

I did an 19"er with a little room to spare. It was a fun brisket cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      I did an 19"er with a little room to spare. It was a fun brisket cook.

Whew, glad I hooked this thing up to two of these to get it stretched out.

Name:	comealong.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	108884

Comment

Are you planning on the SNS making it threw the whole cook with out having to add any fuel? I wouldn't think you would need to, but thats a lotta meat to pack into the kettle brother. #meatfactory

Comment

I am going to meticulously stack B & B Hardwood briquettes and see how long this baby will hum. Cherry chunks and chips.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            On my last low-n-slow cook on my 26" kettle, I piled up the briquettes by leaving the hinged grid over the SnS up, but leaning on the extra briquettes. I knew for a 6-8 hour cook I didn't need them; it was just a test, and they were nicely sucked down by the SnS and burned just fine, so when I do my next butts I should get a bit longer before having to refuel.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            fuzzydaddy funny I do the same when doing pork butts or things that need a real long cook. Hinged grates are awesome, I ordered one for my 18" Jumbo Joe before I even used it. They should be the law.

Lots of pics! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Comment

Finally got up at 0500 to start this. Was up at 0200 Friday morning to rescue a butt from a LOW pit temp (pit was at 160, butt 140), that needed to be at 190+ by 0430, in order to head to work and let rest until lunch at 0915.

Fresh batch of Big Bad Beef Rub aka Giganticus horribilis bos rubi

Made sure and used the whole thing.

B & B stacked upright on the bottom row, flat thereafter. Smaller and thinner cherry chuncks, with some cherry chips for good measure.

Fat cap up, got some gap on the sides, will adjust temp probe later in the cook as the burn progresses towards the middle of the kettle.

The pit is about 40ft from my desk. I can read the Auber (little red glow) with some 8x42mm bino's with ease. Got some hybrid probes coming in for the Maverick.

Name:	P1010032.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	109239 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010036.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	109240 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010037.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	109241 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	109242

Name:	P1010034.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	109243

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish I could be a fly on the wall when your rolling over in bed with Binos to read you Auber!!! Hahahahaha, unbelievable the things we do for BBQ. Jerod Broussard

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Too man walls, I have to come to the den at my desk. But I am working on wall-penetrating technology so I can read from the room Spinaker

Jerod Broussard , I just have to ask, what is that in the bottom of your Grill with the the Red Trim? I am going whatch your Post with great interest!
            First I am trying to learn all I can about the SNS, second I want to see how the Boys with the Big Bucks Do It! Dan

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I have neither big buck$ nor any actual big bucks on the wall.

That is a plate to compliment the other side of the charcoal grate when using the SnS. When used with the Auber fan that is on the opposite side of the Sns, I feel it allows more efficient air flow to the coals. One day I plan to put some beans under a butt or brisket.

The red is some high temp silicon to hopefully prevent run off.

4 hours 23 minutes in, not sure if 30% of the coals have been consumed. And don't worry, the thermo probe was readjusted closer to the brisket and not the coals.

Name:	P1010040.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	109274
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 12, 2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              fuzzydaddy drives me nuts too!

• BruceB
              BruceB commented
              Editing a comment
              Not only not aligned, but the brisket is interfering with the hinged grille action.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad I'm not the only OCD one here with that

Sweet. Have you compared & contrasted how the B&B does to the Kingsford blue?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              On my offset, a basket of Kingsford gave me about 3-3.5 hours. A basket of B & B would give me 5.5-6 hours. I was told they burnt hotter and lastes longer than the Kingsford, I was told right.

And the B & B probably get too hot for up close and personal reverse searing, and grilling with grillgrates. Dem things BURN.

Jerod Broussard I meant on the SnS specifically. Do you still light 12 coals, less, does it last longer than the 8-10 hrs of Kford, etc.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Oh, last time I finished before I could get a long cook. I light 10, and looking more closely at the 6 hour mark, I easily have over 50% coals left, looks closer to 60%.

Temp outside was 60 when I started, 80 right now......

Holy Moley this baby is looking fantastic!!!!!!!!!! 8 hours 33 minutes in. Auber holding temp 225-227.....I think I might have 50% of the charcoal gone. Still a bit piled up under in places.

Cherry Wood smoke lays it on!!!

Name:	P1010045.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	109323 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	109324

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish I had that problem...... Jerod Broussard

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              No kidding. I gained pound and a half reading this.

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Love cherry wood flavour

14 hours in. Auber still holding steady at 225-226. I am thinking in about 45 minutes I should have all the bark needed on the flat. Then I can wrap in butcher paper. Brisket is pretty tender and only reading 176 internal.

Comment

Great write up so far. Excited to see how this baby looks when finished.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here