Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble maintaining steady temp (SnS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble maintaining steady temp (SnS)

so i'm on my first cook with the Slow 'N Sear and am having some problems (i think) maintaining a steady temp in the kettle. I am using an iGrill2 probe to monitor temp and the temps are bouncing between 215 and 240. I set it up exactly as instructed in the instructions and also followed the tips on this sight. i have a feeling i may be over correcting the vents but i feel like i am barely moving them when i make adjustments.
    i am smoking a pork butt today and fired up the grill at 515am.
    The outside temp is 60 and its overcast today.
    here's a glimpse of the peaks and valleys.... is this normal? I'm trying to lock in the 225 and cant seem to hit it.
    Last edited by Britt; September 6, 2015, 12:48 PM.

btw - i love this site. Been visiting it for years and today i finally became a member!

Comment

215 & 240 is not all that bad since it gives you a 227.5 average.

But overcompensating to bring up the temp will cause spikes.

I use mine in conjunction with an Auber fan, works amazingly well, almost too easy, well it is, but I must sound humble.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 6, 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I am sorry that all I can do is wish you well. I have never used a SNS or an iGrill for that matter. Dan

Comment

Thanks guys! It's going a heckuva lot better than without sns

Comment

Britt it looks like you're overcompensating with your vent settings. First things first, make sure you're lid is tight on the kettle and you have no leaks around the edges. If you see more than a wisp of smoke coming out around the edges of the kettle you're seal is not sufficient. After you have that squared away try making smaller vent corrections, and only adjust one vent. I recommend the top vent for adjustments. Check out the bottom of this page for a few more tips: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ow_n_sear.html

If you're still having trouble you can reach me at 704-425-3634.

Oh, and welcome to The Pit!

Comment

• Britt
            Britt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks David
            Verified lid. No issues there.
            I just about had it dialed in and then hit the 8-9 hr mark so needed to restock coals- damn! Butt had been stuck in the 160s forever at that post too.
            Got a steady 235 now since I need to get this thing done- it's been almost 12 hrs now.
            Btw- my adjustment on upper vent only have been about 1/8 inch or less (at widest opening). Prob more like 1/16 inch. Should it be less?
            I've marked my grill with settings on the lower vent so I know where the ranges are.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            1/16" or 1/8" is hard to say. A lot is also dependent on your bottom vent setting and weather (wind, rain, humidity, sunshine, temperature, etc...). All I can say is after a couple of cooks you'll have it down pat and be amazed how stable and predictable the SnS makes your kettle. Keep practicing

Came out just fine after 12 hours. Drunken neighbors helped crush it fast

Comment

Indeed it did. Clean bone is always a good sign.

Comment

I pulled it off grill at 183 ish I think. Next time I'm not going to tie the thing up so tight. It was fairly boxy for 6.5 lbs at the beginning. May have been a factor?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                It will to some degree. I don't tie mine up unless I am hanging them in my PBC. If they fall apart taking them off, so be it, I could use all the help I can get pulling/shredding that stuff.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                If your final temp was 183F you probably just needed to cook it longer for best results. Take it up to 203F and you'll be shocked how much more tender it can get. I don't bother tying mine up when the bone is in, I just buy one that has a good shape to it and looks like it'll cook evenly.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here