Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Low n Slow pulled pork with Slow n Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Low n Slow pulled pork with Slow n Sear

And I've decided to make it even more challenging by doing it ALL night long (all night) starting at 11ish so it'll for sure be ready for my son's 1pm party tomorrow.

I've done it once before (not all night) with the Smokenator... (And I've done ribs countless times with SN) but the fact that the SNS maintains temps so well supposedly is what has inspired me to try all night so I can actually get some sleep.

One quick question... it seems like in the instructions for the SNS it has you add the meat right after you add the unlit coals on top of the lit 12 but I usually waited until I get close to 225 to add the meat and the wood with the SN.

When do you add the meat?

p.s. - this is also my first time buying pork shoulder from Costco... (2 huge pieces of meat and 15 pounds total) yowza!

Originally posted by cdub24 View Post
    One quick question... it seems like in the instructions for the SNS it has you add the meat right after you add the unlit coals on top of the lit 12 but I usually waited until I get close to 225 to add the meat and the wood with the SN.
    This isn't quite right. Add the unlit coals, let the kettle get up to 225F, then add the food.

Good luck! I'll be up for a few more hours if you need more tips, but don't count on me to stay up all night for ya

Comment

Okay good that's what I did before. I must have misread it. Should I wait to add the wood when I add the food?

Comment

Add the wood when you add the unlit coal, making sure to get a chunk right on top of the lit charcoal. By the time the grill settles at 225F the wood will be putting out thin white or thin blue smoke.

Comment

I'll be up all night, if you need any further help just "Huskee" me...

Comment

Wow... Huskee ... What are you up all night for? So it's 6:48am PSTnow... not sure how much sleep I actually got. It was holding steady at 235 when I went to bed... bud I either got up or woke up and realized it was up to 250 so I brought it down.

At 6 I opened it up to check and the water resevoir was gone so I added more water. Not sure if I needed to but I just added another half chimney of coals and one chunk of wood because I wasn't sure it was going to make it the full 12 hours.

It's at 162 now and has been in that range for a while. I'm not going to do the crutch just going to power through. Of course I always forget to take pictures when I open it up but it's looking good and smells great.

I wasn't able to get the meat on until about 12:15am. It took forever (30-40 minutes) for the 12 coals to get completely all ashed over... and a good 45 minutes plus or so to get up to temp.

I'm finding the vent recommendations aren't working at my location (SoCal) for some reason. I'm playing around with them. I also bent my lever a little bit over the years a bit so I realized I have to readjust my marks... but when I open it up just a crack the temps don't get high enough. So I'm playing with it to see where it'll hold the right temp.

Comment

I wasn't able to get the meat on until about 12:15am. It took forever (30-40 minutes) for the 12 coals to get completely all ashed over... and a good 45 minutes plus or so to get up to temp.
              You should check out the BBQ Dragon. It'll significantly speed up light times for your charcoal. That said, 30-40 minutes is really high. Make sure your bottom vent is fully open while lighting. You can also use your chimney to light your coals.

I'm finding the vent recommendations aren't working at my location (SoCal) for some reason. I'm playing around with them. I also bent my lever a little bit over the years a bit so I realized I have to readjust my marks... but when I open it up just a crack the temps don't get high enough. So I'm playing with it to see where it'll hold the right temp.
              If you're 8 or more hours into the cook you could have a lot of ash buildup blocking your botttom vents. Move the one touch ash removal arm back and forth to clear that out and get your airflow back where it should be.

And pics, dangit, we want pics!

Comment

Up all night for work, somebody's gotta do it Also you don't need to wait until the 12 coals are completely ashed over, just 'well-lit'. You'll get the hang of it.

Comment

Giving me error uploading photos... here's a link

But it was a success! And we have a s-ton of leftovers. (15 pounds of meat will do that)

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great looking cook! To upload pics use the "upload attachments" icon and make sure the pics are on your local hard drive.

Ribs for me, so I can get up late.

Comment

Trying pics again

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150906_133408.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	107823 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150906_100055.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	107824
                      Got it working.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here