Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Method for filling water resevoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Method for filling water resevoir

Made Garfunkel chicken for the first time for my maiden cook. Pretty yummy. Hawaiian chicken tomorrow and pulled pork next weekend.

My usual method for water pan action was to heat up a pot on the stove and pour in into a bread pan. That's fine when the target is a bread pan... but things got messy and water went all over the place when trying to pour it from the pot into the narrow reservoir on the slow and sear.

What's the best method? Maybe I should nuke some water in a glass measuring cup and pour it in that way so it has a spout? What do people do?

I use a plastic microwaveable 2-quart pitcher. I fill it halfway with hot tap water, then microwave it about 3 or 4 mins. It's usually not boiling but close enough. I think Pit Boss uses a glass pitcher but I'll let him verify his specifics. But yeah, if you can pour out of something like a pitcher with a spout you'll be in much better shape.

Comment

I use a teapot and slowly pour it in on the end opposite the 12 lit coals. I agree with Huskee that anything with a spout ( except gas cans - LOL! ) would work. You do need to be prepared for the reaction when the water hits the end of the SnS next to the lit coals, tho.

Comment

I have a plastic 3 quart pitcher. Works great.

Comment

Teapot.

Comment

I've used big plastic bowls. I'm on the other side of the lit charcoal anyways, plenty time for charcoal to dry off.

Comment

Teapot is an awesome idea. We have one that would be perfect. Thanks for the brainstorm.

Comment

I run about four cycles of hot water from my Keurig coffee maker into a one quart measuring cup (has a spout).

Comment

Not a bad idea. I think microwaving water in a pitcher is a little easier tho.

Comment

Or something like this maybe? http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Liter-...0_SR320%2C320_

Comment

Are you supposed to heat the water before adding? I never have and don't remember reading about this.

Comment

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep we mention heating the water in our lighting instructions.

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Went back and looked at the flyer that came with mine and it just says add hot water. I assumed that just meant from the tap. Will have to try heating it next time.

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The hotter the better.

I heat the water in a 5 cup glass measuring cup with a spout in the microwave for 5 min. The first time I did it I pored the water on the wrong side and did not expect the sizzle and the explosion of water. Now I do it on the cold side.

Comment

Use a teapot today. Worked like a charm. Chicken was good. Always forget to take pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here