Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Questions

My SNS and Grill Grates came today--big excitement.

Two questions on the SnS:

1) Why not add the water to an unlit grill? Seems like it'd be a tad safer--less chance of getting burned, thermal shock would be reduced, and the chance of sloppily pouring water and hitting some coals would be lessened. I can't conjure up any downsides to this.

2) Why the strict one quart limit for the water reservoir? I'm guessing maybe too much water results in water being spit onto the coals?

Awesome! Great food awaits!

1) You can add water to an unlit Slow 'N Sear if you want, but always make sure the basket has charcoal in it. The SnS might tip over otherwise. There's really not much danger (any more than cooking with charcoal) in adding the charcoal to a lit grill, and it just works better if you do it the way we recommend.

2) We designed the water reservoir to hold a quart of water. You can add more, but it might spill. Also, after you heat the SnS up a few times the water reservoir will warp a little. This is normal. The SnS won't hold quite as much water as it did when it was new, but it'll still hold at least a quart.

Comment

One thing I thought. If you put the water in with unlit coals, wouldn't it take more time to come up to temp?

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, even if the water is boiling when you add it. If boiling, the water temp drops 30 or 40 degress when you first add it to a lit grill. It'd be an even bigger drop if added to an unlit grill.

I love the name of this post, so I'm going to add to it, like a FAQ!

This is an opinion/advice question: I'm cooking a Boston butt, low and slow (Webber 22 with SnS -- target temp is 225 deg F), and I expect the cook to last 10+ hours, which means I'll need to refuel at some point.

1. I monitor the temps every 15 mins to 30 mins, depending on the stability of the past few readings, but I need to lift the lid every so often to replenish the water reservoir and add charcoal/smoke wood. Currently I'm using an interval of 4 hours for this water service, which typically results in adding 2 cups of water, 1/4 chimney charcoal, and 4 oz of wood chunks. Q: Is this a decent plan? I've gotten pretty good at re-stabilizing the temp after removing and replacing the dome.

2. This question is in regards to refueling Slow 'n Sear: I've been adding unlit coals, which seams to make sense given how SnS works (or at least how I understand that it works). But I read elsewhere that when adding coals to a lit grill, you should start them in a chimney to avoid the chemical-rich white smoke. Opinions?

Thanks,

Brent

Comment

Brent_W , Here's what I've done for boston butts on my kettles with a SnS:

Water: I've never added water beyond the initial quart and butts have been fantastic.

Charcoal:
        When the temp dropped below 225 at around 7 hours, I did a quick peak to see if most were burnt, and if so, used tongs to move them to 1 corner, then poured in new un-lit charcoal. The key is to not wait until they are so burnt that when moving them to the corner they are so small that all fall through. My butt cooks have been 2 butts (a lot of cold meat), so around 7 hours has typically been when temps start to drop for me. I had a bit of white smoke initially, but I didn't notice any taste issues with my butts. I'm looking for enough charcoal left to make a corner stack close to the size of the initial 12 at the start of the cook. Keep in mind that ash covered charcoal will look a lot bigger than what they will be when the ash is knocked off.

Ash Sweep: Every few hours and when adding charcoal.

Edit to add: After a few cooks of 2 butts, learning when my charcoal was mostly burnt, I now only have to pop the lid 1 time, prior to being near the end of the cook. I also flip my butts when adding charcoal to ensure even cooking...this may not be necessary but it's what I've done.
        Last edited by fuzzydaddy; January 16, 2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Brent_W
          Brent_W commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, fuzzydaddy! Your method seems to "serialize" the standard SnS lighting procedure, meaning after you add new coals, they are consumed starting from the lit end and creep towards the unlit end.

In my case, at the 4 hour mark, I've only lost about 1/4 chimney, and coals are glowing along most of the bed. When I add new coals, almost all of them get a chance to start burning.

From a temp control standpoint, I think it's a wash as both methods are ultimately oxygen starved. But your method requires less maintenance and mother-hen'ing, which makes it the more attractive option (except that your maintenance step is a little more involved because you re-position the lit coals toward one end.

I also am cooking 2 butts (now). Well, it was one piece of meat (8.1 lbs) that I de-boned and cut into two hunks that are about 3.2 lbs each. Next time I think I'll leave the bone in.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Brent

Yes, what fuzzydaddy said. I'll also add the why. There is no need to add water as the meat will be deep into the stall and sweating a lot of moisture by the time the SnS reservoir runs out of water.

The unlit charcoal is what you want to add. Because of the way you're cooking you won't get the bad white smoke that charcoal normally gives off when it's lighting. This is because the unlit charcoal lights very slowly in an oxygen deficient environment.

Comment

• Brent_W
          Brent_W commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, PB. That makes sense. So I guess if you are cooking in the 325 deg F range, adding lit coals is the way to go? What about adding unlit coals and burying them under lit coals?

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          If you're temps are stable (no matter what temp you are at) where you want them to be, adding lit charcoal is going to add heat to the pit and heat things up. If your temps are heading down then lit coal is the way to go. Just shove the lit coal over and add the unlit. No need to bury anything.

Brent_W I just looked at my notes for my last (4) butt cooks on my 22" kettle with a SnS and on 3 cooks I did the charcoal refill at 7 hours and on 1 cook at 8 hours.

Comment

• Brent_W
          Brent_W commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, fuzzy. I suspect that the 7 hour mark will probably work for me as well. One thing I love about the Webber and the SnS is how repeatable the performance is from cook to cook.

I have done butt cooks without adding charcoal. I got 12 hours during my test coo and get 10+ with no problems. I do use my PartyQ so perhaps that helps the charcoal longevity. I use binder clips to get a tight seal around the lid. My bottom vents are barely cracked and the top vents are about a 1/4" open. 22" Weber kettle is the platform I use with the SnS

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks FLBuckeye. I also use binder clips. Maybe it is the PartyQ temp control, or operator error on my part :-)

I have a PartyQ for my egg; need to get an adapter for my kettles and try it out on them.

Thanks for your response.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          The Party Q works GREAT with the SnS.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I just ordered a Weber adaptor direct from BBQ Guru...now thinking I should have ordered 2 since I have a 22" and a 26". Oh, well...

When I get back home from Florida, I'm going to have a few toys (I mean tools) waiting on me.
          Last edited by fuzzydaddy; January 17, 2016, 12:51 PM.

You Just Got to Love This Site! The detailed info and experience of the Members Tempered by the Sage advice of "The Boss"! It don't get any better!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          What! Your keyboard isn't frozen solid yet? LOL

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed Danjohnston949. The more I post about my experiences, the more I learn from others.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy the Keyboard is Sticky but not Frozen Yet! fuzzydaddy, Don't-Cha Know and Ain't It GREAT!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

David Parrish How many SNS's have gone out to date. It seems like they have really taken off. I know a friend of mine got one for his father in law after he saw me running mine. I doubt I was an isolated circumstance. If you'd rather not share that figure no big deal, I understand. I was just curious............Thanks Boss!!!

Comment

Well Spinaker I have to be careful with that info, but you're right, the SnS has really taken off, and it's keeping me busy. If things keep going like they have I'm going to have to start thinking about making this my full time gig.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally understandable.. Hard work pays off my friend. Wouldn't that be awesome if you could go full time.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice to hear David Parrish ...

Your new invention is going to force a job change.😆 Ca Ching!!!

We'll miss you.👍

I suspect we'll still be able to access your sage advice through the ABCBarbeque website right?

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            lol Breadhead managing the Pitmaster Club and running Adrenaline Barbecue Company are both side jobs for me. I also have a regular full time day job that requires travel about 15 weeks a year Sunday through Friday. I keep busy!

Hey David Parrish I have two SnS as you know. I need two more so discount maybe?

Comment

DWCowles There may be the small business "2 for the price of 3" special you can get in on....

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              You mean 3 for the price of 2 Huskee

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              DWCowles Well I know for a fact Pit Boss would agree to my offer....not so sure he'd accept yours

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee hummm...you must be getting a commission 😳

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            Hey David Parrish I have two SnS as you know. I need two more so discount maybe?
            DWCowles our margin is already pretty low. If we start offering sales I'm not sure we'd stay afloat

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like you have the every day low price pricing method David Parrish ... Good for you.

I like the "stack them deep & sell them cheap" method.😬

No 50% off lies. No 90 days the same as cash lie. No 2fer deals.😡

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly Breadhead. With an everyday price folks can buy when they want to and don't have to worry about waiting for a sale or worrying there will be a better price tomorrow vs today.

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just messing with you David Parrish I will be ordering two more soon. Maybe three I'm thinking about getting my brother one.

Aw, c'mon David Parrish . Sure, you may lose money on each SnS, but think of how you'll be making it up with volume!!!

Sorry, I hope the light-hearted sarcasm comes through clearly--I am kind of a scold on the economically illiterate--NONE of which I think have posted herein.

I do VERY MUCH enjoy my SnS! Best wishes to you and your business! You are making a high quality product and it shows. Stainless ain't cheap--and it ain't cheap to form, fixture, and weld, either.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here