Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS and turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS and turkey

I am a proud owner of SNS. I have pork butt in the grill as I type. It is definitely much easier to add water, charcoal on SNS then smokenator. I am planning to try turkey next for thanksgiving practice.

Will turkey fit in Weber 22" + SNS? Do I need to upgrade to bigger grill? I have not tried smoking turkey before so any tips are appreciated.

It should, but turkeys can vary widely in sizes. I'd try a smaller one as your practice bird to get a feel for your space limitations. You can cook anything you want in a 26" though!

Comment

I've done 14+-pound turkeys, whole and spatchcocked on my kettle. I did them with a brick separating the coals from the indirect cooking area. Can't wait to try it with the SnS as it has a more efficient use of space. I'd guess a 20-pounder would be okay with some attention.

Would love a 26" Weber but wow, the price kills me.

Comment

Originally posted by IrondeQuer View Post
        Would love a 26" Weber but wow, the price kills me.
        The price of the 26" is steep compared to the 22", for sure, but it comes with all the bells and whistles and it can cook a whole bunch of food. When you consider the price of the 26" plus an SnS is $380... and you get true two zone cooking, a great smoker, and a great grill... it's hard to argue with that value proposition.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc - You know you're gonna pull the trigger, why keep waiting?

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          @fzcdoc , come on, sista - you KNOW you want one!!!

Hehehe

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it fzxdoc do it do it do it do it!!!

I am scared of getting a practice bird and find my kettle is too small. I will try 14 lb er as practice. I dont think i can upgrade to 26 soon. My budget manager (read: wife) wont allow it.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I seem to be suffering from the same ordeal- want a 4th kettle, wife insists I have one too many already. I wish she would wear my glasses when she looks out at the deck, because I think I see the situation way more clearer than she does

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Get a smaller turkey, killianss , I just did a 14+# on my 26er. Can't see how a 22 would do it, unless you cut it up, which is also a good option!

• killianss
          killianss commented
          Editing a comment
          I might have to cut the turkey up at the end. But I won't have sexy photo to share

killianss I'm doing a 10.25 test bird on a 22 w/SnS today. I'll get some pics. Maybe it will help judge the scale.

Watch this space.
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 16, 2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

For a turkey I will cut the thighs/legs off. And lay them side ways b/n the base of the breast and the SnS. They will be laying parallel to the SnS. The dark meat could use the close proximity to the heat anyways.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 16, 2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I often find nearer the wall far opposite the SnS is a hotter zone, hotter than nearer the SnS itself. Of course this is likely to vary some with meat load and shape and flow and all that.

Comment

A 10.25lbs bird on a 22" I think a 14lbser will go!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking of doing a 20 pounder and starting the right amount of coals on each end of the SnS to get at least 325-350.

I haven't got the room to sous vide a whole turkey.
                Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 16, 2015, 04:07 PM.

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Lite one end and shes rollin along at 333°

• killianss
                killianss commented
                Editing a comment
                This is very helpful! How many charcoal did you light to get to that temperature?

Jon let us know how long the water lasts. And confirm if you used one quart. Thanks!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                starter with 750 ml added 500ml at 1hour.

David Parrish

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                daaaaaaaaang, he went metric!!!!!

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                1 Quarts (US) = 946.352946 Milliliters

The reason I tend to use 750ml is I have a glass bottles that I use to add water to my Webers. They don melt and for some reason there are readily available.

My 14+#er on my 26"er. I did NOT use water and the skin was GREAT, the meat wonderfully juicy! Don't know how it would fit in a 22", unless you cut the legs and thighs - a perfectly good approach. I may do it on my next one.
              Last edited by richinlbrg; August 16, 2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Onez , I was a bit over 2 hours, but when the sun moved and the kettle was shaded on a 90+*F day, my grill temp took a hit and I responded too slowly. Had I had good fire control, I'd have been right at 2 hours.

• Onez
                Onez commented
                Editing a comment
                sounds good! Thanks!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                26"er looks to be the perfect turkey cooking kettle

Try de-boning your turkey first, it will cook faster and take up less space. I leave the bones in the wings and legs
              Attached Files
              Last edited by (mr.brisket); August 17, 2015, 09:36 AM. Reason: Just added a photo of a semi-boneless bird

Comment

• killianss
                killianss commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't tell whether it's deboned or not. looks impressive!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here