Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Smokey Steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    We've got a burger technique here http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!beef-recipes/cvtu

I personally like to use the hot & fast (but ALWAYS indirect) when doing things like pork chops and burgers. Sometimes I sear at the end, sometimes not.

You can do burgers lower, like at 225, you're just better off not setting up for low & slow, but instead lighting more coals, at least when you want to sear.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    No preheating, I actually let the pizza dough do the final rise in the cast iron platter. Then add my toppings. I got them from a restaurant supply store. Range fro 8 inches all they way to 14 inches.
    The grates are from craycort on my weber performer. They are 5 years old. I'm a cast iron junkie, I never used the wire grate that came with the weber

• otherdave
    commented on 's reply
    Are those Cast Iron grates on a weber or is that a different kettle?

• otherdave
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, nice! I love the look of those lodge pans. I might have to give one a try. Do you preheat them with the grill or put them on along with the pizza at room temp?

Since you said you start them over the coals initially I'm guessing I know the answer already.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    I have a bunch of lodge cast iron round and oval platters that I use for pizza.
    I have done skillet pizzas indoors.

The two zone burger cookery just makes life really easier, especially if your're hosting. Here's a small scale burger set up..

• otherdave
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for this.

Do you cook the pizza in a cast iron skillet, or do you have an iron pizza stone (for lack of a better word) that you use? I may give this a try.

I do like the crispy skin on grilled brats & sausages so I'm sure i'd like to finish them on the higher heat somewhat, but I'm intrigued about the two-zone grilling for burgers and everything else. Looks like future experimentation is definitely in order.

• Ernest
    replied
    otherdave for burgers, it depends on thickness. If they are thin patties, sear them and push them to the cool side while you finish the rest. For thick patties, start them on the cool side, sear and get them on the bun.
    For brats, I don't bother with searing. Cook them indirectly, around 300 degrees.
    For pizza, I get a full chimney blazing, dump it in the SnS, cover the grill to get it to 500-600 degrees. I use cast iron, so I get the pizza directly over the hot coals for a few minutes then move it to the cool side. Rotate a few times to get desired doneness.

Technically grilling is best done two zone way, the only variable would be the initial cooking temp.
    Last edited by Ernest; August 10, 2015, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• otherdave
    replied
    So if I'm cooking a big batch of burgers, how'd I go about it?

Normally I'd have a shallow layer of coal over most of the grill to get a large cooking area. With the SnS would I cook in smaller area? David Parrish mentioned getting the hot side really hot. Do you do this and cook over indirect heat with the lid on?

The most common things we grill are hamburgers, steaks/pork chops/lamb chops and sausages (brats & italian sausages). Would you use the SnS for all of these and how would you go about it? Sorry to ask this if it's already posted.

And btw, pizza is probably my greatest love. Ernest, do you have any advice or writeup on doing pizza in a kettle with or without the SnS?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    There's no need to take the SnS out. Mine has come out once because I had to clean the kettle.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Same here. I've got an SnS in three different grills and they haven't come out since they went in. You can get the indirect side really hot if you load up the SnS with fully lit charcoal and cook just about anything, even pizza. Just ask Ernest!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    otherdave you may find you don't need to take the SnS out. Mine hasn't come out since it went in. You can cook all manner of food with the SnS. If you want central heat/ coals, just scoot it over.

Leave a comment:

• otherdave
    replied
    Just a followup for anyone interested - I tried again with some thick ribeyes and they were perfect! Small batch of fully heated coals to get to about 120 with a second batch of coal heating in the chimney for the reverse sear. No bad smokey taste at all. A few things I noticed:

1) I had to go from cooking sausage links to cooking the steaks. Will definitely take some practice to know how much coal to keep, how much to put out, and what good timing is like. Originally I wanted to do the steaks first and keep them warm while I moved all of the hot coals into the main grilling area, but the sausage-eaters needed to eat first.

2) Holy cow was that sear awesome.

3) I think the paver stones are totally the way to go. Especially if I want to take the Slow n Sear out to cook something else, like burgers or sausages etc... Don't feel like dropping 5 lbs of hot steel on my deck

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

Leave a comment:

• otherdave
    commented on 's reply
    oh shoot, I just learned how to comment on a reply!

Looking up heat deflectors along with kamado joe gave me a better idea of what you're dealing with. Thanks for the clarification.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Ah OK. That's a different kind of smoke than what otherdave is getting then.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Heat deflector for my kamado grill (kamado joe). It produces indirect heat.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here