Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical vs horizontal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical vs horizontal

I have a rotisserie attachment for my kettle, but I haven’t used it yet. The 3 things I like most from rotisserie are all typically done on a vertical rotisserie though. I bought an electric vertical rotisserie, but it was terrible. Didn’t brown anything.

Is there any advantage to vertical vs horizontal rotisserie? It does seem like gyros wouldn’t stay on a horizontal one, but chicken shawarma and pork al pastor should be ok I think.

I've never used a vertical one and its been a looong time since I've used a horizontal one. Someone should be able to help soon.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Just remembered, someone uses his PBC for these kind of cooks. Hanging in barrel is just about the same as a vertical roto.

Didn't read the question, but my preference is horizontal, takes too much effort to get vertical and generally I have to hold on to something to remain.

Comment

You can do a lot on a horizontal such as chickens and roasts to name a few but to get a decent vertical that really works like those at a food stall is going to set you back several thousand dollars at the least. The heat source really should be parallel to the rotating food with enough btu output to give you that char. I know many people have tried duplicating the results with a bottom heat source with decent results, I know I have, but I haven’t found any as satisfying as when the food vendor slices the meat off of his vertical. I gave up and use Bayliss’s method on a flat grill whenever I want tacos al pastor. If you find something that works let us know.

Comment

I do chicken thighs on my PBC all the time. I stack (think shawarma) them with onion and other flavorful items, like pineapple for jerk flavor Most of the time I just stack thighs, with rub and some olive oil. It is always a hit. I've yet to try gyro meat or anything else like that because I can't figure out how to keep meet from falling.
        Last edited by au4stree; September 2, 2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	49831A4B-2AE4-4A94-8E60-97802F5936AC.jpeg
Views:	1554
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	904810
          I’m wondering if a cheap(ish) one like this is worth getting. Looks like the rotisserie burner on a regular gas grill, just vertical.

Comment

Killa J what stuff are you thinking of spinning that won't stay on a horizontal rotisserie? I've got two horizontals here, for a Weber gas grill and the Weber kettle. I like the one for the kettle much much more, and get great browning from charcoal - better than on the gas grill, which does not have a dedicated rotisserie burner.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with you Jim. I’ve got the rotisserie for my Weber Kettle also, works great. Browning is excellent. It should be able to hold anything a vertical rotisserie can, without falling off. The prongs see to that.

• Killa J
              Killa J commented
              Editing a comment
              The only thing I’d think wouldn’t work well is doner kebab/gyros. But that would probably be ok in a basket. It might even stay on fine if it set up long enough in the fridge.
              Last edited by Killa J; September 2, 2020, 02:48 PM.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Killa J is the doner kabob made from some type of ground meat? If so, I can see that being an issue, maybe.

I really like the rotisserie for the Weber kettle, and plan to use it a lot - I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and broke it in with two chickens.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here