Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical vs horizontal rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical vs horizontal rotisserie

Forgive me, but I didn’t know where else to post this question. I recently had Tacos Al Pastor while in Mexico. I’m hooked!! I was considering buying a horizontal rotisserie for my Weber. Will the schawarma and tacos Al pastor be different on a horizontal rotisserie vs a dedicated vertical rotisserie. Thanks for all input!!
    The OmegaDog

Interesting question. I believe the purpose of the vertical rotisserie is the allow you to slice off the nice crispy parts while the rest continues to cook. Pastor, for example, would not be the same to me if it was not all exposed to the flame. Not sure how you would the whole thing done at once.

Comment

I’m watching this. I have been looking at vertical rotisserie units for a while now as my next MCS fix.

Comment

Originally posted by bmillin View Post
        Interesting question. I believe the purpose of the vertical rotisserie is the allow you to slice off the nice crispy parts while the rest continues to cook. Pastor, for example, would not be the same to me if it was not all exposed to the flame. Not sure how you would the whole thing done at once.
        This is the right call. The meat on the trompo gets sliced off, then the newly exposed part gets crisped by the direct heat and so on. I don't see how you could do that on a horizontal rotisserie.

Comment

(I moved this to the Rotisserie and Scawarma Discussion channel). The debates rages on whether rotisserie is a "cooker", an "accessory", a "tabletop appliance", or simply a style of cooking, since they're really all correct...so for now "style" it is, nestled in Food Discussion. It also has it's Recipes Only counterpart should you have a great rotisserie or schawarma-specific recipe to share.

Comment

Here's how I do it on the horizontal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lK5gFfFQRlk8FJ4_YlOQ_UD2n1IP72MiFJzXz2wy9nb5pMwbBECak5YhA94YxSm1bEi2p-8BUM_HkO37b5ARLlvhSNtJjbJ9w_pJcPRJNr6pk3CWuHENSI8fnngear2uZtcJKYJrokZc8hR7zxLvRyc2w9i_jAQ3KIFFr2PApiHrw_wPdS5UgA8WX93W_Ik-GHIbv0C68X42ynBH1dk_s7viDTOVmK7_1U-665E5dFMcGMbBxW3KSb_0ftjcW61
Views:	336
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1324022

Click image for larger version

Name:	lxgPQG1W_GDts3BbYN_fFbWmsf7l29bzM8DJnecYvAuc-PEmdusqARLzsBBe7We4dIsVytjYf2qkJXBtACik_4YDKEPj80BI9pETgHrfSP7zVb9JiZUdFzjcr2sujnKN0VrVo64Di-HVTL0xLA26e8lhEstWhlSAaG8IxhJnG0p1o9Z3hiMLvGK0hwgtjQoE0nezt1vJzJ70hh3_R36qBPDULXSstmCocT-7IHadb2PW5Fz7sHNIOZMbZwbqGO9
Views:	331
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1324023

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet. I looked at the rotisserie add on for the Santa Maria grill I just ordered and thought I couldn't justify the cost. That option might change my mind! Thanks more $$$

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, interesting. Portion out the meat so it's all crisped up. Great idea.

I find it super interesting that Taco Al Pastor was brought to Mexico from Lebanon.

Comment

• tenphases
              tenphases commented
              Editing a comment
              When the Ottoman Empire fell post WW1 people wanted out of the upheaval it caused. Tons of people from Shakira, Steve Jobs, Casey Kasem, Paul Anka, Salma Hayek and tons more, interesting story

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I will check more of that out, I love history. I watched all the episodes on Ugly delicious, they covered some cool history of how food has traveled.

Thanks to all!! I still think that I’m going to try to fabricate some mod to raise the charcoal on my Weber like a Santa Maria grill to see if I can get the crisped meat like a vertical rotisserie. That said, anyone with a suggestion on a vertical rotisserie that won’t break the bank?
            The OmegaDog

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I would think you would want to lower the meat cooking it on the charcoal grate level. You might consider using a charcoal chimney to contain your charcoal and have the meat sitting beside it.

I've done it vertically like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_153415~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	703.7 KB ID:	1324421

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_154120~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	1324422

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_200143~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	1324423

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_201831~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	1324424

I cooked that on my Kamado but I've been meaning to do it on my Blackstone Pizza Oven. Its rotisserie motor is situated vertically and I can take the lid off and spin the meat right on the rotating stone. I'm hoping I can shave off the meat as I go like the real deal vertical spits.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here