Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Rotisserie Cook - Fire Setup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Rotisserie Cook - Fire Setup Question

Hello Pitmasters,

I picked up the Onlyfire rotisserie for my Weber Performer Kettle a couple of weeks back, but I have never cooked with a rotisserie before. I am going to cook a small chicken tomorrow and need some advice. I have found some information on the pit, the Weber site and YouTube, but nothing stating how the coals should be lit.

I'm thinking I will use the Weber charcoal baskets on each side with a drip pan in the middle. The way I hit 325 degrees with my SnS (I have that too if it is a better set up) is half fill the basket (2 in this case) half full of unlit charcoal and then dump lit charcoal on top of the unlit. Is this a sound approach, or is there a better way?

Looking forward to learning from all you rotisserie gurus here on the pit!

It should work just fine either way. Or bank the coals on each side if you need more capacity.
    Last edited by Steve R.; December 4, 2021, 10:58 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the speedy reply. Doesn't the kettle lid simply sit on top of the rotisserie ring?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe you're right, and that just occurred to me. I logged back in here to edit that.

Ok, I have done more searching on the interwebs and found a few references to using the weber baskets with fully lit coals. So I guess I'll go that route unless someone here on the pit has a different tried & true approach.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I do and put a drip pan between them with some potatoes smothered in butter and rosemary in it.

I use the baskets with fully lit coals. I like to be able to move the baskets closer to or father away from the chicken depending on how fast the skin is browning. For a small chicken, I'd start with them close and if the skin is close, but the bird is not close, move them farther away.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do this also👆

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both for your input, that is what I will do. I'll be sure to post my results in the SMWYC thread.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/rotis...adcooksdinner/ is my go to for rotisserie.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like a great resource, than you!

I use the baskets too, I push them together fill em full and the hit them with the grill gun for 2-3 minutes until they are well lit, then split them to each side and go.

Comment

The baskets or banking is the way to go. While cooking on the Santa Maria grill I keep the chicken at the 5 count hand rule. Not sure what temp that actually is, but I suspect it's in that 325 - 350 range.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I know I can always count on the folks here on the pit of share their knowledge & experience!

Comment

Just seeing this efincoop - I use a Weber rotisserie with my Performer, and usually light a half chimney, and spread it on one side of the charcoal grate, on top of a half chimney of unlit coals, or do the same thing in the SNS without water in the resevoir. Basically the same setup you do for the SNS to run at 325 to 350.

That said, I think first time I used the Weber baskets too - they just don't hold a lot of charcoal is the issue, and start running out of steam after about 45 minutes.

Comment

• efincoop
            efincoop commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing your experience. For this cook I went with the Weber baskets a d it worked great. This was a 45 minute cook so I had plenty of fuel, but I can see what you mean about a more extended cook. Do you still get even browning with the coals off to 1 side as described? I'm thinking for a longer cook I could use the SnS without the water reservoir.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            efincoop I get even browning with the coals to one side.

The issue with using the SNS is mainly that it MIGHT have the fire directly under one side of the birds for larger chickens or certainly a turkey, which is not what you want. The inner wall of the SNS could also block some of the IR heating effects too. I've used it for chickens successfully though.

Basically, you want line of sight from the hot coals to the spinning meat for IR/radiant heating and browning.

• efincoop
            efincoop commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! Thanks for the follow up!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here