Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Brisket Knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Brisket Knife?

Can I improve on this knife I use for trimming brisket precook? If so, what would you recommend at a reasonable price point? Brand is JA Henckels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 17, 2020, 06:04 PM.

I use a $20 Black and Decker electric knife.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq my bad. I didn’t read post carefully enough. I have never used it for pre cut, but now that I think about it might work pretty good as a first pass on that thick hard fat. I would be afraid of using it when trying to get down to 1/4” or less of fat.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Probably a pass on the electric knife precook, especially as my electric knife blades are very bendable, which I don't think would be ideal for this type of cut.

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      Second that. Hard to beat for functionality and price.

Amazon.com: Dexter-Russell 12" Scalloped Slicer, S140-12SC-PCP, SANI-SAFE Series: Industrial & Scientific

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Look no further!

I don’t think he’s cutting it, guys, he’s trimming it before cooking.

I use a JA Henckel 5.5” boning knife. It’s $30 at BB&B. Gotta keep it sharp.

​​​​​​​https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...enckels-knives

Comment

Got it. Thanks Mosca

I use this for trimming. Stays very sharp.

Amazon.com: Rapala 7 1/2 Inch Soft Grip Fillet Knife / Single Stage Sharpener / Sheath: Sports & Outdoors

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        It requires very little pressure. Look at the Aaron Franklin youtube video on trimming a brisket. You just start the cut and lift and let the knife slide along, wiggling back and forth, as you cut the fat. David Butcher also has a good video on trimming a brisket on the Butchers BBQ site.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        You and Huskee sold me. Ordered the Rapala.

• Alabama Smoke
        Alabama Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. Works great for me.

I use a Victronix 47602 curved, flexible boning knife. $29.95 on Amazon. Love it. As with all knives, keep it sharp.

Comment

• kjbarth
        kjbarth commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I’ve got this knife too. 6”, I like it. As Jfrosty27 wrote, keep it sharp. I also have an 8” Victorinox.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, this right here! It’s actually a knife i use for many things, but it does great at what you want it for!

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        +1
        Love that knife. Had one.

It took me like 1-1.5 hours to trim down the full packer brisket today, as I separated it into the point and flat, divided the flat into two, and trimmed all three pieces down to start the curing process for pastrami. I think it turned out fine, but I was left wondering if I was using the right knife for the job. My Qwick Trim works fine for longer cuts, but I was using the knife for the more precise trims and cutting the meat.

Like I mentioned above, I use a electric knife to slice the brisket post-cook, which works great.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        The Rapala easily slides under small pieces of fat allowing you to then lift and trim it off easily. 30 minutes is the most I have ever spent trimming a brisket. That was separating the point and the flat and trimming both.

I love both my Rapala boning knives and my Dexter for trimming. But I end up reaching first for the soft rubber grip Rapala. Those Rapala knives are sweet IMO.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, got one of those to, couldn’t resist. Ya know, that MCS thang. 🙃

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        That does look like an ideal choice...

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright you sold me. Ordered!

I even used the AR link so maybe you get a few pennies..

I use a boning knife. Nothing fancy. Just a decent sharp stamped Mercer.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, any decent sharp boning knife'll do!

Dexter-Russell S131F-6PCP Boning Knife Sani-Safe White

I've used em fer years, have several, between indoors, outdoors, knife rolls...

Works jus fine fer me, always have, an quite affordable...

I have several others, jus usually seem to grab these ones first, familiarity, perhaps...

Like any knife, as said above, keep em SHARP!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 17, 2020, 06:51 PM. Reason: Ficksed linc ;-)

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. More important than brand -- keep it sharp.

Kanehide TK Honesuki Right handed version 150mm. A good honesuki is an indispensable tool for the home or professional chef who needs to fabricate and process chicken, turkey, and game birds. The honesuki is a Japanese version of a boning knife. It differs from a Western boning knife due to its triangular shape and a blade that is stiff with very little flex. It typically has an asymmetrical edge; this model is made for right handed users. While it is called a boning knife, the honesuki is not meant to cut through bones. Instead, it is intended to cut through the joints of the bird. Due to its shape and height, the honesuki can also double up nicely as a utility or petty style of knife. TK knives from Kanehide are made from their proprietary semi-stainless steel, and the results are quite surprising. TK steel is like a bit of stainless and a bit of carbon. It takes and holds a nice edge while being easy to sharpen. Meanwhile it is semi stainless, so the normal maintenance routine associated with high carbon blades is reduced quite substantially. The knife is a mono steel construction and the steel is hardened to 61 HRC. The blade is mated to a simple yet effective handle made from a super durable material called Fibrox. Maker: Kanehide Location: Seki City, Japan Construction: Stamped/Mono Steel Steel Type: TK Semi Stainless Type: Honesuki Boning Knife Grind: Single Sided / Reft Handed Handle: Fibrox Edge Length: 150mm Height: 40mm Weight: 3.8oz

Takes and holds a great edge. I have a bullnose butcher knife from them and the steel and grind is very good.

Comment

I use a 6.5" curved boning/filet knife. Works great. I have a Dalstrong, which isn't dirt cheap, but it's a great value for the money. I'm fairly sure you can get other less expensive brands around.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; December 19, 2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Victorinox knives, great knives, great price.
          Or Victorinox knives!
          Don't forget to fit, feel, and balance. it is nice to handle one first.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; December 17, 2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            With a PBR , I'd haveta reckon??? lol

That would work but my concern would the the lack of a guard etc.

More important is to keep it really sharp.

Comment

I like the flexibility of the Rapalas most of the time, but the stiff blade on the Wusthof comes in handy for other things. Rapalas r a good value, soft grip would be better, but I’ve had these for over 30 years. They just work
            Attached Files

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Ordered a soft grip Rapala knife! Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here