Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with experience of Mcusta Zanmai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with experience of Mcusta Zanmai?

I think I have waay too much time on my hands right now. Was random googling stuff on the Internetz, and found a really sweet de-boning knife: The Mcusta / Zanmai Flame Damascus Boning knife. It's 16.5 cm / 6.5". I like the curvature of the blade. It's not cheap, around 250 buckaroos, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any experience with this brand of knives before I pull the trigger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcusta-zanmai-flame-damascus-boning-knife.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	857039

I havent even heard of them to be honest but it sure is a beautiful knife. Ill probably still take my old trusty 20 dollar rapala though, lol.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Reach for my Rapala, Dexter Russell, or Victorinox 99% of the time for filleting, boneing, or trimming.

Check out this Swedish custom knife maker. He does beautiful work, but is a bit pricey:

Check out this knife. It has an "S grind" blade, (concave), that should have super food release.
    Last edited by RonB; June 4, 2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, didn’t know about them, a bit pricey though like you say.

Yes and they are a GREAT KNIFE. Almost went with a few of them not long ago.

there are many many great knifes. If it calls to you then "what can I say?"

some people buy booze and hookers. I don’t go to bars or screw around with old cars and RV’s.

some of us spend our money on other things.

buy it. Worst case you sell it for less. Kind of like an MG automobile.

you can always make more money.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good points.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I may be interested in knowing about that booze and hooker thing

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...st&o=relevance Something to look through for your questions.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Doh! Of course there are forums for this too. Thanks, gonna do some reading up.

It is going to be a pretty knife with its 30+ layers of steel.

Comment

I'd cut my finger off......

Comment

Well, I found out today I will get some money back (tax returns, paid too much 2019), so I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Will report back next week when I get it.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats.

So, that was a disappointment. I got the knife today, unwrapped it and didn't like it. The blade 'feels' whimsical compared to my other deboning knifes, and the handle didn't fit my hand either. So I returned it immediately. Goes to show me that when buying a knife I should go into the physical store and try the knife firsthand before buying. Oh well, you live and you learn. It's probably a great knife, but it didn't suit me, and I could use that money for other stuff.

On the other hand they had a real nice Dao Vua Vietnamease cleaver. Hand forged all the way. Actually it's a vegetable knife (not heavy like a real cleaver), but I fell in love with the rustique look and the handle made from several types of wood. It's a carbon steel blade (which I like). And the best part is that it was waaaayy cheaper (it cost 75 bucks) than the Mcusta. Big win! I bought it right then and there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7098.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	860406

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7099.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	860407

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a beautiful knife right there!

I know I'm a little late to the convo, so probably not much help lol, but I've been using this knife (11in) since 2012-13 in both professional and home settings and it has never let me down. But yes, you should always do to the store and hold the knife. Most good knife stores should also let you use them before you buy

https://www.jbprince.com/mcusta-japa...ches-blade.asp

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here