Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercer 14" for briskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercer 14" for briskets

I just purchased a 14" Mercer slicer from Amazon to use as a brisket knife. Reasonably priced, but I like the blade. Many brisket knifes are serrated, but I wanted a smooth edge as this one is gonna double as a salmon knife also. And the reason I chose one with a plastic handle is that a friend of mine is making knifes for a hobby, so he's gonna cut off the plastic handle and custom build a wooden handle for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mercer.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	856836

What do you all think? Do you prefer smooth edges or a serrated knife when slicing briskets?

Either way, I'll take some photos and report back when my buddy is done with it.

I have a Victorinox slicer that looks similar to yours. Mine has a 14 inch blade and just under 20 inches in total length. I use it way more than you would think. I originally purchased for brisket but it does extremely well on any larger cut of meat. Mine has a Fibrox plastic handle and I find that even when it gets a tad greasy it is still secure in my hand. If you change the handle make sure it will still have good grip when wet. I've never tried a serrated knife on any meat so can't comment on how they work but the smooth edge of mine is a joy to use.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good to hear!

Great knife and it will come in handy in the next Zombie Apocalypse too.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! You never know 😄

New brisket sword! Love it. I would love to see that wooden handle when you are done. That will look cool.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I sure hope so!

Definitely smooth edged for brisket!

Comment

Smooth not serrated.

Comment

Mercy.

Comment

Non-serrated for sure. Especially if it’s going to be used for anything else.
          (I’m not big on serrated knives with any meat.)

I have that one, along with an Icel and a Dalstrong.
          The first two are stamped, but given their price...and realistically how often they’re used...they’re quite capable.

Looking forward to seeing the new handle.

Comment

Depends on the brisket.

I own a couple of those I think.

Comment

I have a serrated sword and it does want to tear the bark sometimes. Am I correct assuming this is why many of you prefer smooth?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, same here. I much prefer smooth.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup.
                Smooth fer meats.
                Serrated slicers are nice fer breads.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know, learned something after my best efforts not to! Thanks texastweeter Henrik Mr. Bones

I have the victorinox in the same style and love it. It’s perfect for brisket being 14” and like you, I do not care for serrated edges for meat - I don’t want tearing cuts, I like the clean cutting style.

You will enjoy it, especially after you get the custom handle!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool! Smooth is the way to go. Looking forward to testing it out in a couple of weeks.

Best brisket slicer I have ever owned, and I have had a few...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, Brother! That knife is a Work of Art!!!!

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Crocodile DunDee approved Mr. Bones

I prefer smooth edge for meat, but my wife will just grab whatever knife is closest and use it on anything.

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                When it comes to my wife's knife use - I prefer to be stabbed with a smooth blade.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Your wives cook?!?! These millennial models must have lost that feature. smokin fool Troutman

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter ….my wife cooks!?!?!?....news to me....
                I'm not 40lbs over weight from her cookin
                BFlynn smooth or serrated just make it a clean kill, I'm a suck, I don't wanna suffer none

Henrik I have the same knife and love it! I bought it for brisket slicing as well but found it useful for many other meats. Used it for turkey, chicken, steak, etc. Really sharp out of the box and still going g strong several months later. Enjoy!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to hear, I know I'm gonna like it!

Right there with you, mostly. I've got the Mercer 11", non serrated, riveted handle. I was also gifted a serrated one, not Mercer though, and the feel through the cut is much smoother to my hand with the smooth edge. And as others have noted it is good for other proteins as well. On smaller hunks of meat I also have a granton blade, 10" Wusthof that is sweet, more of a carver than a pure slicer.
              Last edited by Uncle Bob; June 7, 2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here