Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friedrich Wilhelm Knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friedrich Wilhelm Knives?

He who narrates the rack of lamb video on the free site (Meathead?) raves about his Friedrich Wilhelm boning knife. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I can't find those kitchen knives anywhere. Any ideas? Thanks

I think they’re Gunter Wilhelm knives.

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Right you are! Reviewing the video again, I now see the name on the blade which I ignored and only heard Meathead refer to the love he has for his "Friedrich Wilhelm knife." Could be my technique, but my Henckles 5-Stars don't seem to take or hold a particularly sharp edge, so I'm on the hunt. Thanks for your reply!

I picked up a consumer grade Henkel at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30 that is perfectly fine for as often as I use it. Keep it sharp and honed and it is a good knife.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...tegoryId=13627

edit: Oops, I see you have had a bad experience with the Henkels. Never mind!
    Last edited by Mosca; April 15, 2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

No worries. Might be my technique. I notice I misspelled "Henckels!"

Comment

In my experience most western knives trade sharpness for durability.

I bought a Kanehide TK Forgecraft butcher knife, and it doesn't seem to loose its edge. I am careful not to hit bones with it though.

They make a honesuki (Japanese style boning knife) that is affordable.

The Kanehide Bessaku Honesuki 150mm is made from a semi-stainless steel using a mono steel construction. It is the same steel that is used in the ever popular Kikuichi TKC line of blades. The honesuki pictured here is specifically designed for processing poultry, but many use the knife for other tasks as well. Many honesuki knives are single bevel designs, reflecting their Japanese heritage. But many are now being made with a two-sided edge, as is this example. A side effect of this double bevel is that the knife becomes more of a general purpose petty style knife. The shape and weight allow for easy and secure in-hand work as well as being a great blade for creating garnishes. Another unique aspect of this knife is that it's ground asymmetrically for better performance from the spine to the edge. The overall fit and finish of the blade and handle are a revelation given their keen pricing. The rosewood handle in particular is wonderfully conceived and finished. If you are looking for a blade that will not break the bank, while allowing you entry into a specialized area of kitchen cutlery, we cannot recommend the Kanehide Bessaku Honesuki 150mm highly enough! Weight: 5.0 ounces Blade Length: 150 mm Overall Length: 267 mm Spine Thickness at Base: 2.5 mm Right Handed Grind

Comment

I have Some Henkel 4 star since 1995 or so and it’s razor sharp. I keep it at 15° maybe you need a new edge rather than honing.

I also use Mac Honesuki, wustoff Ikon boning and old fat rubber handled thing I love, Mercer perhaps, IDK. All sharp as a razor.

Comment

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            A good point! I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker in addition to honing, but I've never had my knives professionally sharpened. I'll spend some time on the Sharpmaker today and start looking for a good sharpening service as well.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the Ken onion worksharp.

my henkels pro are fantastic

Comment

My two faves are both made by F. Dick. The only difference is that one is flexible. I’ve had them both for many years...and they just keep trudging along.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here