Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A knife for the ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A knife for the ages

I received my Takeda NAS Gyuto 210mm today. This knife is as close to perfect as I have used. It’s feather-light for being quite large, impossibly thin, and crazy sharp. I haven’t put a video together yet, but you can get the idea by watching this video: https://youtu.be/EtziZvTH7pA. The knife is quite tall which is spectacular for moving diced veg. So excited!
    Attached Files

Oh man, I touched the screen and cut my finger!

Comment

Name would be stubby if I owned one!

Comment

What a beautimous Blade, Brother!!!!

ゴジラ

Be safe, an well!

Comment

Takedas are gorgeous knives.

Comment

Here is a link to a short documentary on Japanese Knife Makers. Takeda is one of the one's listed. You will have to cut and paste I can't seem to get the link to work. Takeda's knives are on my short list for my next purchase. Pretty expensive up here in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFedUlHx558

Comment

Davek8282 Thanks for the link. You won’t be disappointed when you get one 👌

Comment

• Davek8282
                Davek8282 commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a trip to Knifewear in Edmonton, AB all planned and then Covid came along. I had signed up for one of their sharpening classes so I could do proper maintenance on my new knife. Oh well one of these days, I still plan to purchase both a new Gyoto and take the sharpening class.

I prefer German steel except for my MAC santoku and sheep's foot paring knife, but that is a gorgeous blade.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey the mth-80 is the European profile chef. Mine is the Santaku msk-65. My 3 chef knives are a whustoff pro, a henkles pro, and a victorinix fibrox

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I love mine!! Until I breakout the lemongrass.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey lemongrass gets the back edge of my cleaver to crush, an the sharp edge to cut.

I'm stepping away from the computer RIGHT NOW to avoid worsening my MKS and to prevent a divorce, or, at least, some serious domestic intranquility.

Comment

That knife has a Super Blue core, and will take an extremely sharp edge, (as seen in the video). If this is your first J-knife, please understand that steel that is as hard as your blade can chip if not handled correctly, and it will cut anything soft with the slightest touch...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. Gorgeous though.

Man that is nice, and I have serious mks. More than any other syndrome. I should have passed on this post.

Comment

I shouldn't ask this question, but did you get it through knifewear.com?

Comment

klflowers Yes, they are great. Fantastic customer service. I also love Chef Knives To Go and Chubo Knives, but they were out of stock on the 210mm. They also told me that Shosui hurt himself at the end of last year so production has stopped. I decided I couldn’t risk not getting one.

Comment

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dammit!!!!!!!

My More Cutlery Syndrome is in high gear. I already have several really good quality knife sets but I keep looking at others.

Comment

Fortunately, at my age, much as I'm droolin, if I give it a day, mebbe two, at best, I'll have already fergotten bout hankerin fer one lol!
                      But.
                      Now?????
                      Hankerin, ain't gonna lie to yall!

Self Medicatin, now, tryin to innercept/slow/eradicate involuntary spasmodic reflexive mouse response.
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here