Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aw man, Dewesq55 made me buy a knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw man, Dewesq55 made me buy a knife.

Dewesq55 bought a nice brisket sword, but I already have one.

On the other hand, for several years I’ve wanted a cleaver, but have resisted because I’ll almost never use it, and I don’t want to spend $50 or more on something I won’t use, or less money but get something that doesn’t work. So I looked at the Dalstrong equivalent of the carver he posted... $60. Still too much. But then I checked a couple cutlery sites, and reddit, and googled "best cheap cleavers", and this well reviewed and rated $20 cleaver is actually $13! Even if it is only a decoration, it’s worth $13!

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Stainless-Steel-Chopper-Multipurpose/dp/B00R20CZR2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Utopia+cleaver&qid=1571147 411&s=lawn-garden&sr=8-1

​

Last edited by Mosca; October 15, 2019, 08:28 AM.

Darn you! Now I might have to get one!

Comment

Mosca You might surprise yourself at how often you will use it after you use it the first time, especially on tough to chop veggies like carrots and the like. Not to mention whacking up a whole chicken. Congratulations on the great buy and have fun!

Comment

As my Dad used to say.......

"That is a toe choppin' knife!"

Comment

All I got is "Leave it to cleaver."

Comment

I still have the chop marks on my Corian countertop when I missed the chopping board with a sharp cleaver a few years back. Missed the Thanksgiving turkey neck that I was chopping up for broth, too. Yes, I was distracted by company/family. Yes, there was a wee bit of alcohol involved. I can still hear my husband saying, "Man, I'm glad that wasn't me wielding that cleaver", and everyone but me laughing. I kept thinking of that countertop and what a dumb move that was.

Anyway, those cleavers can leave a mark, that's for sure.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, sure do, treesmacker . But I'm still upset at the nick in the countertop, years later.

K.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Corian can be repaired to just like new, if ya wish...I've seen far worse damage repaired...

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I've heard they can sand it down, Mr. Bones , but I fear it will leave a divot behind. I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

K.

That is mighty tempting... do I or do I not want/need one of those? I've been admiring them also, but not for $50.

Comment

Interesting how this shows up maybe identical, but just with a different company name for better price; I've seen this with cheaper knives sold on Amazon also... this one is just over $10 if you apply the 10% coupon... https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Stainles...6PEPKRWHFC8YHH

Comment

My main knife is Martin Yan's Signature Knife.

Comment

If you buy two of them, one for each hand, you can have a grand time chopping meat and veggies. After some practice, you get into a rhythm that makes short work of it.

Comment

Damn went and bought this cleaver https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=1460

Comment

• Craigar
                      Craigar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      F. Dick? Hmm...I'll be sure to keep this one away from my wife.

• ofelles
                      ofelles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Craigar didn't think of that! lock and key!

I just bought the one Mosca presented - $ 11.75 from Prime.. I'll review it tomorrow.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What do you think? I think it’s not particularly sharp, but it is as sharp as it will need to be. Sharp enough.

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mosca I can put an edge on a knife. The knife itself is good quality given the price, but best for my wife. I wish the handle was just a bit longer - I guess I have large hands. I separate the knives I use from the knives in the kitchen - this one goes in the kitchen, but I am not sorry I got it.

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, for twelve bucks it’s fine. It looks good and it will break a bone. That’s what it is supposed to do. The handle could be longer, but for the five minutes at a time that it will get used that’s not an issue.

Got it today. I didn’t have much time to play with it, other stuff going on. It’s nice enough for $12ish. It has a good heft. I’m used to the balance of the Globals, this is different. It isn’t the sharpest right out of the box, but it’s sharp enough, I had a soft tomato that it sliced. It will definitely work for cracking bones and squaring rib racks. It’s worth it just to hang on the knife strip and chuckle at the potential it represents.

Comment

$12.99 for 1 or $299.99 for 40 . . . FORTY????

Comment

• Craigar
                        Craigar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's a family pack.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here