Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing craftsmanship.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing craftsmanship.

As some of you know, I am playing around with making knives, and watch knife making videos as part of the learning. Anyway, I ran across this video and think the craftsmanship displayed is amazing. If you want to just look at the finished sword, go to ~ 29:00 in the video:

Watched the whole thing. Was heading to be a machinist before the aviation thing hit me. Loved working with metal. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Watched the whole thing. That was incredible.

Comment

Wouldn't want to guess what it cost to make but the value is not in that it's in its beauty.
        When I had my manufacturing concern some of the workshop crew used to fashion blades on the sly out of mild steel flat bar or offcuts of 1/4 inch stainless using an angle grinder and bench grinder. I can assure that the quality was nowhere near as good😆

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I know people who made knives out of a toothbrush. But lets not get into that.

Outstanding, do you go to any of the shows. We have a big one down here in Asheville.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't been to a knife show in years, but I may go if I hear of one close by.

Wow - some amazing skills and craftsmanship - not to mention patience and tenacity. Loved watching that - thanks for sharing!

Comment

In addition to MCS, I have a bad case of MKS. I have knives all over the house. Never thought about trying to make them though. That is a beautiful sword.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya need to see if there is someone teaching a knife making class near you. I took one and it was a ton of fun.

The class I took was stock removal - where you take a piece of high carbon steel and remove everything that's not a knife. You could also take a class on forging knives. but that's a whole different game.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            What kind of tools do you need for that?

I watched the entire video as well. I must admit I disagree with his last comment. That with effort and perseverance you to can make sword like this one. I believe that learning and effort will get you a very long way, but some people are born with a god given talent, and I think he falls into this category. What a beautiful piece of art. Thank you for sharing

Comment

That is an artist. WOW. Would love to have that kind of patience.

Comment

That is outstanding. Hell, I am not sure I even know how to properly sharpen a knife.

Comment

• bkellyusa
                bkellyusa commented
                Editing a comment
                It took me years to figure out how to sharpen a knife and even though I've worked at it there are guys out there who are just plain better at it.

Awesome I am a fledgling blade smith as Well. Started with just putting handles on premade blades and recently started playing with forging

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Then you should check out bladesmithsforum.com .

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here