Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutco knives, overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutco knives, overrated?

Sorry to reopen an old topic, but I see tons of people are huge fans of Cutco. I however am not. Am I alone in this? On comps I see people using the serrated slicer for many cutting tasks, and I pull out my knife from Sam’s club with no shame.

The notion of paying a salesperson via a form with a hand written receipt, complete with a carbon copy of my credit card, and waiting for the product to be shipped is an awkward proposition.

I’m not saying it isn’t a decent product, just unnecessary for anyone who is willing to spend 90 seconds sharpening a cheaper knife. I can shave with my cheap knives before and after dinner service, so what is the draw? I’m not really looking for arguments to convince me, just wondering if I’m alone in this. Who’s with me?

I have some Cutco's I bought years ago from a friend and I like them. Don't love them but like them.

I was talking to a local guy who was sharpening the blade on my meat slicer. He sharpens the blades for many of the restaurants in the area and really knows what he is talking about when it comes to knives. I asked him what his favorite knives are and for stamped blades he surprisingly said Cutco. If anyone knows about blades and sharpness it is this guy.

So I don't know if they are overrated but they are more than just a direct sales gimmick. They are quality knives and aren't ridiculously priced.

For forged blades he said Wusthof BTW.

Comment

• Woodson
      Woodson commented
      Editing a comment
      Points well made. I guess it’s the gimmicky nature of those types of transaction I find disheartening. Comparable to buying a Rolex Watch from a street vendor in New York. Just my .02.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you said that about Wusthof. I've had my set for well over 20 years and that good old German stainless holds an edge very well. I have no need to upgrade whatsoever.

Cutco knives are popular with some folks due to their warranty and sharpening service. Being able to send your knives into Cutco periodically and have them resharpen them for merely the price of return postage ($10 or so) is an attractive feature to some folks who are willing to pay the higher initial upfront prices.

Personally, I think they are nothing special and have zero interest in owning/using them but to each their own.

Comment

I recently purchased a set of Cutco. For many years I had a semi negative view of them. Not any more now that I have them and use on a daily basis. This was a purchase I shall not regret. Over priced? I'd say a little sure. Over time will they be a good return on investment? No doubt in my mind. The warranty does not follow the original buyer but is transferable. My grandkids will be old folks and still using these. Just MHO.

Comment

Overrated? A bit.
        Overpriced? Yeah that too.

I have owned a set for 25 years. The quality of their product is second to none in my opinion. Their customer service is top notch. I’ve actually been sent brand new knives when I’ve sent mine in to be sharpened.

And for what it’s worth, their knives are made in America, not just "Assembled" here. And that still counts for something when I make decisions on my purchases.

Comment

We've had some for several years. Overall pretty happy with them. My nephew sold them for a college summer job. We were glad to support him by buying something we would actually use. Sometimes in those situations you buy something you know you'll never use.

Comment

I gave them always years ago. I myself use Wustof and Mac. Also some old Henkel 4 star from the mid 90's.

I am fond of the cheaper Mercer etc.. with BIG RUBBER handles sharpened to 15° I still use those on occasion when it's wet outside for a function.

Comment

• Woodson
              Woodson commented
              Editing a comment
              I sharpen mine to 15 also.

I still have my set of Cutco purchased back in the day. It takes a beating. The best thing is that the blades, even the serrated blades, can be sharpened nicely with this cheapie sharpener recommended by Cooks Illustrated:

Click image for larger version  Name:	41PagpZIx-L.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.7 KB ID:	702311

So while I am now using my Shun knife collection more, my husband and daughters can continue to beat the heck out of those Cutco knives which can stand up to anything.

Speaking of beating up the Cutco knives, I broke the tip off a one years ago (trying to separate frozen fish fillets) and Cutco replaced that knife for free. The knife at that time was over 10 years old. So yeah, customer service is a good reason why I continue to enjoy our Cutco collection.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 27, 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz , I use this sharpener on my Victorinox Chef's knife. Sharpens it up nicely as needed.

Kathryn

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              So, I asked my wife to pick me one up if she saw one. She found one at Walmart. She did find one. I tried it on a few knives I had here, the next day I cut myself picking up a knife. Impressed so far. So, another amateur question. Am I supposed to sharpen knives like my Victorinox slicing knife, and my bread knife that has the serrated bread knife with this type of sharpener? Or do those need another type of sharpener? Thank you for the recommendation.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard, Richard Chrz , the documentation that comes with the Accu-Sharp sharpener I have says you can use it on serrated knives. I even use it on my Cutco serrated knives which have a different conformation to the serrated edge than regular serrated knives. For such an inexpensive device, it sure does a nice job.

Kathryn

Actually had never heard of them until years ago when I met my wife, she live in the town they come from in New York, so I have gotten a few from family members as gifts mostly hunting k Ives and a filet knife, they seem like great k Ives. Expensive but killer warranty! I send mine in every year after hunting season to get tuned up becUyif ya want to see how a knife holds an edge ther is t much better test than an elk hide. So over priced I’d say so over rated not so much

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              I grew up there also.

I starting to think that after 39 years we should send in our Cutco knives...dulled but sharpening on stones, chipped blades and one broken blade.

Comment

I just have the utility, serrated spatula and the kitchen shears. Have had them for about 20 years. Been very happy with them.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                The serrated spatula is a sandwich makers dream utensil.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto that.

Kathryn

Knives are like everything else. You can get good, bad, in-between & supreme. You’ve got Rockwell hardness this & Rockwell hardness that, layered, forged, & stamped. Don’t own any myself (Cutco that is) but have heard good things about them as has been attested to. What’s the best? Depends on what you are after, scads of factors come into play, price being only one of them. Get something that is comfortable & you like. And if enough time goes by it’ll be like MCS, you’ll find a mo better one.

Comment

Would definitely recommend first investing in a good sharpener like the Apex Edge Pro and a few basic knives from the restaurant supply to practice on before investing in anything high end like Wusthof. Knowing how and when to properly sharpen a knife is sadly becoming a lost art. A sharp $5 knife works far better than a $500 dull one and if its a steel knife, they all will dull eventually.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the Professional Edge Pro and pick up used high carbon steel knives from second hand shops. I agree with investing in a good sharpening system and bringing cheap knives to life than to putting money into expensive knives that will need sharpening at some point.

Exactly! Practice for a few years and then if you want to you can invest in something higher end you will better understand how to take care of it maybe even improve the factory edge. (Double bevel = scary sharp)

Comment

Terribly overrated

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here