Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ferrum Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ferrum Knife

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_154128.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	699663 Visiting the Oregon coast and happened into a nice kitchen shop in Florence. Noticed beautiful knives in the glass case and asked the nice lady behind the counter to see the boning knife. She reached in to get it and barely touched the blade - cut her finger, but didn't say ouch. That convinced me these were super sharp knives. I showed it to my wife who said "didn't you just buy a boning knife"? Yes, I did, but not this pretty. So, anyway while the lady held pressure on her finger, I asked to see the paring knives. Ended up purchasing the one shown here. I'm happy it was made in U.S.A. locally and I could support the local economy. I see these knives are also available online. Does anyone here have experience with this brand?
    https://www.ferrumtechnology.com/ Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_150351.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	699658Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_150050.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	699659Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_150958.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	699660Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_150552.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	699661Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_150615.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	699662

Nice lookin' knife.

Comment

Super nice!

Comment

That’s a beauty !!!

Comment

Oh man it looks like you have picked up a quality knife from a regional knife smith. In my travels I try to find knives like these. They will last you a life time with that blade hardness and your taking care of the handle.

Comment

Beauteous piece of work. What we do know is you have one, so tell us about it! Very nice! 👍 👍. 🕶

Comment

Congratulations on your find. That walnut handle is beautiful.

Comment

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! The handles on this series "Estate" are maple. Their other series "Reserve" has walnut handles. I just liked the feel of the Estate series handle better, though the walnut handles were beautiful as well.

I just looked them up, they sell a gorgeous steak knife set on Amazon, and I LOVE that the handles don't match. There are no reviews for anything the brand has listed on Amazon though. I know all the plasticy handle stuff will last forever, but well taken care of wood handles that are unique are my favorite. Please let us know how that knife treats you. I'll start watching Amazon for that steak knife set to drop in price

Interestingly, the knife set is 300 on Ferrums site, and 240 on Amazon.

Comment

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, I saw that the knife I bought at $76 is only $60 on Amazon. That's OK though because that local small business needed my support. Also, I do buy plenty on Amazon anyway. I already put their 6" chef knife in my Amazon wish list...https://www.amazon.com/Ferrum-Estate...ateway&sr=8-19

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                treesmacker my guess would be the better looking woodgrain knives go to stores like the one you went to, and the more boring grain knives go to places like Amazon.

Thanks, looks good.

Comment

never heard of the company but that looks like a beaut!

Comment

looks to be forged, which is a good sign. Does it have a stamp as to what king of steel? Is it carbon or stainless? is that a small roll in the edge towards the end of the belly, or just the light? Looks beautiful.

Comment

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Says it is high carbon stainless from western Pennsylvania cyro-tempered to 63HrC

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    treesmacker 63 is EXTREEMLY hard. That thing will stay sharp a long time. Be careful though at that hardness, it could chip. Being a pairing knife, I wouldn't think that to be a problem as long as its not abused. Leave the sharpening of that to the pros, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Great buy. I would pass on a boning knife that hard, they take a bit of abuse.

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    texastweeter thanks for the advice. I'll treat it kindly. Ferrum offers a sharpening service if I pay shipping, so probably will take them up on that when time comes, being they are not too far away from me.

That's a good looking knife.

Comment

Congratulations. I don't dare go to that web site. I already have well over a hundred knives, maybe even two hundred. I would have some serious domestic intranquility if I bought another one, especially with us about to leave for Italy in a few days for a granddaughter's destination wedding.
                    Last edited by gcdmd; June 24, 2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Skip
                      Skip commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It sounds like Fun in Italy is just around the corner. Safe Travels.

• gcdmd
                      gcdmd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Skip Thank you

BTW, thank you again for the bread machine. I use it at least once or twice a week. I'll be giving it a rest while in Italy, of course.

Well you have done it again treesmacker . Gone off and found something interesting and dangled it in front of us. Now my 25th anniversary present to one of our kids is a set of these. I hope you are happy, and that they are too.🙂

Comment

• treesmacker
                      treesmacker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm happy and I'm sure your kids will be too!

• treesmacker
                      treesmacker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Donw - did you get a set of the Ferrum knives for the kids? If so, what did you/they think of them?

• Donw
                      Donw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes I did, and they love them. They proudly carved Christmas dinner with them, I was quite impressed too but resisted the urge to keep them for myself and give them a 20% discount coupon to Bed A and Beyond instead.

Gorgeous knife! i read their website --- & really like their overall philosophy. Of course, that could just be marketing, but it seems like they wrote it from the heart.

I have a problem, though, with this general category of super-premium "custom edge" knife. They advertise a 16-degree "apple seed" edge. It's an ultra-hard steel, too.

So, my problem is: how does the home user sharpen these things? Most of the "chef" brand sharpeners are set up for 20 degree or 15 degree edges. I use these things all the time to keep my restaurant-supply-store knifes sharp. The Ferrum & similar knives seem like they demand a whetstone. I learned to use one of those back in my cub scout days, and have no wish to return to that messy process. Especially for a really hard steel.

I'm really curious to hear from the knife enthusiasts / collectors on this question. I'd love to have a "bragging rights" knife or too. But since even the fanciest knife needs to be sharpened sooner or later, I've kept within my comfort zone of less expensive gear.

Comment

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They offer free sharpening for every knife they make:

This website is for sale! ferrumtechnology.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ferrumtechnology.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

• Donw
                      Donw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There are a few systems out there where you can find the angle just using a marking pen and adapt the setup to it. The Edge Pro is the one that comes first to mind, but there are others.

• Anton32828
                      Anton32828 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just watched the Edge Pro video. That is a really nice system!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here