Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Length Slicer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Length Slicer?

I have looked at getting a slicer for some time. What length makes the most sense and would be easiest to work with? 10", 12", 14"? I am looking for something that would become my "go to" knife for cutting steaks, roasts, etc. You know, the one you always reach for. Not too long. Not too short.

Thoughts?

I have both a 10" and a 12" Slicer. My preference is the 10" because of it is easier to handle and it has a stiffer blade. For most of my cooks the 10" is plenty long.

Comment

Here is the one I have, got it to slice slabs of bacon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have that same knife, razor sharp

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the one I've got. You can get it dangerously sharp and it holds the edge well.

I have a 12 inch slicer, and it works well for bacon and brisket. You want to have enough length for a "slicing" action on the widest piece of meat you are going to cut, and to me 10" would be a little short on those two items, although fine on other cuts. I was not going to buy two $60 knives....

Comment

I use a 14" for brisket and bacon. It's occasionally a little long for a job, but it's never too short. BTW, have you fired up that new cooker yet?
        Last edited by CaptainMike; May 7, 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet. Rain and snow has kept me on the sidelines.

12" here. Gets the job done.

Comment

Approximately 12.5" here ... and I normally only pull it out if my 10" chef's knife seems too short or if I'm trying to make a show of carving.

Comment

For most cuts of meat most of the time, a 10" slicer is plenty good for me. Here's the one I have: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005LRYNUU

I can see why people might like a longer slicer if they often cook larger cuts like a full brisket. If I had a longer slicer as well as my 10", I think I'd still be reaching for the 10" knife first and only switching to the longer one if the 10" didn't work.

Comment

However, by the end of this week I hope to have this slicer rebuilt and back in business:

Click image for larger version

Name:	slicer.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	675624

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here