Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutco Fishermans Solution knife -- pics for Frozen Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutco Fishermans Solution knife -- pics for Frozen Smoke

We've been talking about Cutco knives in this thread -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nexpected-gift -- and I mentioned owning a couple of their "Fisherman's Solution" knives. Here is more info about this knife especially for Frozen Smoke

The blade is flexible for filleting. It can be lengthened or shortened to suit the fisherperson and the task at hand. It stays nicely sharp for filleting.

The sheath is designed to be an all purpose tool for fishing, but it doesn't succeed. At the very least, I don't know why I'd want to take a super sharp filleting knife for use when I'm fishing -- I use this kind of knife only for filleting and similar kitchen tasks -- but maybe other fishing folks feel otherwise. Anyways, I recommend you buy the knife because you like the knife, not so much for the sheath.

Photos in order --
    1. Blade as short as possible. This is how it's stored in the sheath. Blade length varies from 6" to 9".
    2. Hook sharpener on back of sheath.
    3. Totally impractical pliers for grasping a fish.
    4. Blade in sheath with notch in sheath to allow the blade to be used as a line cutter.
    5. Clamp for locking the blade in place. You slip your thumbnail in a small groove and lift the clamp to release the blade. The clamp works well -- it doesn't let the blade slip during normal use. I've never tried stabbing a tree and leaning my full weight on the blade, but then I wouldn't do that to any filleting knife.
    6. The blade can be fully removed for cleaning. You want to make sure any fish bits get thoroughly washed out of the handle. There's a hole at the butt end of the handle for drainage.
    7. There's a stop built into the knife that kind of clicks when you pull the blade out to the maximum working length of the blade. There's also a visual indicator that tells you the same thing. To remove the blade completely from the handle, just gently pull the blade past this stop.
    8. You can set the length anywhere between the max and min.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by IowaGirl; February 3, 2019, 12:23 PM.

Oh, forgot -- if you get on their e-mail list, they regularly run sales on various knives, so you don't have to pay full price if you are willing to wait.

Comment

This is a great site up!

Very interesting that you can remove the blade from the handle for cleaning. I don't think I have ever seen that before. My old Rapala, wooden handle knives for sure smell like fish!

I find that fillet knives are the best for trimming eat as well. Especially, brisket. I also find them very useful for pulling the membrane off the back of ribs too.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        I too use my trusty rapala bass pro for brisket trimming!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only used my hubby's knife on fish, but I now that I have one of my own, it's in my kitchen knife block. I'm looking forward to using it for trimming meat as well as filleting fish.

Spinaker if you are the one who redirected this to the accessories and cookware channel, thank you for that! Still getting used to the system here.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It wasn't me. Jerod or Henrik may have done that. But no worries, we are here to help keep things in order. IowaGirl

Hahaha, I've had that knife for years and never knew it transformed into a sword!! Other than holding the knife I totally agree with utility, or lack thereof, of the sheath.

Comment

Excellent post and thanks for all the time you spent reviewing this knife for me IowaGirl I'm confident now to buy this knife as a gift for my son in law. I will also take your advice and sign up for their email discounts.
        I used my Cutco 7" Santouko for cutting up some breakfast taters earlier that thing is one of the sharpest and easiest handling knives I've owned. I hate to say it but these knives may keep my custom knives in the drawer more in the future.

I just wanted to add that yes the sheath is a bit gimmicky but all you want it to do is protect the blade and it does that. most people i fish with have fishing pliers and hook sharpening tools to do those jobs already.

Comment

Neat knife!

Comment

I purchased one at the Boise Idaho state fair last summer for $69.00. The sheath serves a purpose but not much of one IMHO. Overall the knife is the best filet knife I own and I have several. They are expensive unless you find a sale or promotion at an event.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here