Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A unexpected gift!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had Cutco knives for years, dare I say eons? Back in grad school, one of my friends sold them on commission for extra income. Got my first Cutco paring knife then. They have stood the test of time. I have had a full set for years, and given sets to each daughter. Those knives do really well, holding their edge well over years of daily use.

Once I broke the tip off a Cutco knife trying to separate frozen fillets of fish. The company replaced it at no charge, even though I had purchased the knife at least 10 years before and the fault was mine. Great customer service.

About a year ago Mr. Bones inspired me to add a few Shun knives to my collection, so I strayed off the Cutco ranch. I love using the Shuns as well. They make me feel like a samurai warrior. When I started looking at prices, for fun I went to the Cutco site and found that their knives are in the same price range as the Shuns I was considering. Imagine that. I hadn't bought a Cutco knife for years so had forgotten what we had spent on them.

You do indeed have a gift of quality there. Congrats. You'll enjoy using them.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 3, 2019, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Something tells me those are gonna last just a little bit longer than the chocolates would have.
      Great gift. 👍👍👍

Comment

That was a very handsome present!

I've been upgrading my kitchen knives the past few years with mostly Cutco knives and I'm pretty happy with them. They don't offer long slicing knives, however, so I think I'm going to get a 10 or 12 inch basic Victorinox with a Granton blade to fill that niche.

If you fish, their fisherman's filleting knife is nice, although I think the sheath for this knife is weird. Anyways, the blade can be slid in or out of the handle so you can adjust the length and stiffness of the blade to suit you. We have his 'n hers blades -- his for fishing only and mine for the kitchen as well as for fishing.

Comment

Very nice, but do the go with your new cabinets and countertop?

Comment

Originally posted by IowaGirl View Post
            That was a very handsome present!

I've been upgrading my kitchen knives the past few years with mostly Cutco knives and I'm pretty happy with them. They don't offer long slicing knives, however, so I think I'm going to get a 10 or 12 inch basic Victorinox with a Granton blade to fill that niche.

If you fish, their fisherman's filleting knife is nice, although I think the sheath for this knife is weird. Anyways, the blade can be slid in or out of the handle so you can adjust the length and stiffness of the blade to suit you. We have his 'n hers blades -- his for fishing only and mine for the kitchen as well as for fishing.
            Wow we must think alike! I was at their web site and noticed no 12" slicer for brisket although they have slicers that would probably work just no 12 inchers. I have the Victoronix 12" granton edge slicer and I really like it for slicing. I was looking at their fishing knife and thought the same thing that sheath is weird and they don't show a pic of the knife in the sheath. I was considering getting one for my son in law for his upcoming birthday but that sheath makes me hesitant.
            Do you have issues with the blade sliding in or out as your using it or does it lock itself in place somehow. They leave a lot of info out in their description of this knife

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Frozen Smoke -- I'll post pics in a new thread. Look for your name in the thread title.

I used to live 100 yards from the factory that makes Cutco knives. Worked their the summer of ‘92 and ‘93 while I was going to college. Worked putting the hollow grind on knives one summer and worked in the shipping department the other summer. They were a great company to work for.

I have a 20 piece knife set along with 12 of their steak knives. 8 of the knives I’ve owned for 25 years and they have never failed me.
            Last edited by ssandy_561; February 3, 2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Cutco knives are high quality instruments. They're also priced to match.

I know they used to be only available from salespeople. They'd always say they just want to "practice their sales pitch" and insist that you'd be under no obligation to buy anything. I've never heard of a Cutco sales rep actually saying they just want to sell you knives.

They were the best knives I've ever had. Sadly, I left them in the drawer when I moved out of my apartment years ago and the cleaning crew got a nice bonus that day.
              Last edited by Buck Flicks; February 5, 2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B65D577-D739-49BB-914B-548F11DF5C74.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	632669Click image for larger version

Name:	B9F16261-0B46-45A1-B487-5C734D67E546.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	632668Click image for larger version

Name:	BC21E6B4-FB43-4D7D-8658-92C27C67E523.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	632666Click image for larger version

Name:	6250B761-95F1-4BF2-8A1B-88E40BA44A4A.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	632667Click image for larger version

Name:	49ACFFA8-0A14-4FAC-8754-AE2138A01B88.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	632665Click image for larger version

Name:	CDD33AEE-5F07-4954-AD45-DCF40C7664F4.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	632664 Here is my collection of Cutco knives

Comment

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Most of mine were purchased while I was working there and are Factory seconds so I didn’t pay full price

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You worked at Cutco? I think you just became another of my AR heroes.

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The "Table knives" (as they call them) you have in the first picture are easily the best steak knives I've ever used.

A friend of mine has been after me to gut a Cutco knife for years. He tells me that if I just buy a steak knife, I'll be hooked. He told me that before I was diagnosed with MCS. I have held out because of the relatively high price, but I need some quality steak knives...

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Their table knives (what they call steak knives) are a game changer. I was more sad about losing them than I was about losing my bigger knives.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like they have table knives and steak knives now - the steak knives are longer. My wife's head would explode if I bought another knife right now though.

They even replaced one of our cleavers for free that had a chunk out of it from the kid hacking on a Christmas tree

Comment

Back to the surface it comes. My wife and I went to the annual sportsmans show yesterday not at all being surprised to see a Cutco booth. I have their fillet knife that I've never been that happy with the sharpness of so we stopped at the booth to ask about getting it taken care of. The first thing out of the sales mans mouth was if you are local I can come over and sharpen it for you and save you the trip or postage (mentioned there would not be a sales pitch included). Now thats service. We have been wanting to get a full set for some time but could never pull the trigger. All this being said the wife went to look at one of the sets and is convinced now is the time to get them. All of our married life she has been the one capable of pinching a penny so hard it screams, but in this case is willing to overlook the price and order the set. I'm still a little on the fence but realize we are not getting any younger and after working hard our entire lives for what we have may be convinced to break down and make her and the sales guy smile. They are offering a pretty decent discount of around $300.00 for the set. I came to this site this morning to research what wisdom on this particular item could be found. What I've read is it would be a wise investment if not for us but our one and only daughter once we travel to the other side. So in closing, thanks everyone on this thread for convincing me, I think.

Comment

You won't regret buying that knife set, Bighorn Dave . They are good sturdy knives that hold their edge for a very long time. I'm not the sort of person who likes flicking my chef's knife back and forth across a sharpener rod before each cutting session, be it meat or veggies. Some folks love that, and it's great that they do. I want a knife that cuts well each time I reach for it. Cutco knives meet that criterion.

Enjoy your purchase.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                      You won't regret buying that knife set, Bighorn Dave . They are good sturdy knives that hold their edge for a very long time. I'm not the sort of person who likes flicking my chef's knife back and forth across a sharpener rod before each cutting session, be it meat or veggies. Some folks love that, and it's great that they do. I want a knife that cuts well each time I reach for it. Cutco knives meet that criterion.

Enjoy your purchase.

Kathryn
                      Thank you young lady. I appreciate the encouragement.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here