Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Knife

There are quite a few reviews for cutlery but I have been unable to find anything on Electric Knives. Do any of you have recommendations for a good electric knife around the 40-50 dollar range. I am looking to buy one as a gift. Thanks!

From my limited experience, they are all pretty much the same nowadays, the main thing being removable washable blades. I have owned a couple, but once I got a good quality knife and learned to cook right I found I didn't need it. Other than that might be blade choice including multiples, the heavily serrated ones will tear up a lot of foods.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point John- teach the person how to cook meat properly, then your carving knives won't matter nearly as much!

toetter, I cannot help you here but surely someone will come along and offer some sound advice or reviews. Stay tuned... until then, have you considered a gift membership to The Pit here, so he/she can learn through AmazingRibs and Pit members how to cook that meat so a butter knife is all that's needed?

Comment

As a long time cook/chef(35+years), I have carved thousands of prime ribs, tri-tips, etc. A classic "roast" or carving knife will do as good or better job than any electric knife. The cost is similar, and you do not need electricity. These knives will slice any meat well, and are easy to sharpen and keep sharp. Good luck and good tidings from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

Well toe, I do use an electric knife to fillet fish. I have used many brands over the years and have found Rapala to be the heartiest.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/...electricKnives

I can get 3-4 years out of it but can only get a season or two at best from a standerd kitchen electric knife. A standard electric knife will work just fine for fish BTW.

So the only input I have is that the Repalas last a long time. Has a great cord length and is easy to clean. Amazon has them cheaper than listed on the Rapala site. They dont get the highest reviews but Im on my third one and have had no issues cleaning hundred and hundred of fish with them.

Hope this help some.
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 1, 2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

My $0.02 is that whatever you get KEEP THE RECEIPT. My wife has gone through 3 so far (don't rememebr the brands) and they all have fallen short.

I'll throw in with Strat50 and will use a good, sharp Chef's or Nakiri knife for nearly everything myself.

Comment

I've had a Black & Decker electric knife for years. I don't use it a heck of a lot but it has always been reliable. I think it was on a Cook's Illustrated recommended list. I think the model number is EK500.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys? I will probably just talk him into a good quality carving knife.

Comment

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                JA Henckels Mikado Set has made me very happy! They were a bit expensive ($185 @ Bed, Bath Beyond) butthey have taken years of hard use and still keep coming back to razor sharp.

Rapala is the only electric knife that can withstand the abuse I put on them. When the white bass are running, I'll fillet between 75-150 bass, twice a week.

Comment

I researched electric knives and really couldn't really find a lot out there. Consumer reports hasn't run a comparison test that I could find. I decided on the Cuisinart which sells for around 50.00. (Though some retailers sell the same knife on Amazon for up to 95.00) Also, Rapala does have several models on the market rated pretty good. So far the Cuisinart is doing fine....though it has yet to stand the test of time and repeated use. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here