Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of Knife(s) do you use to trim Briskets (or Pork Butts or any meat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of Knife(s) do you use to trim Briskets (or Pork Butts or any meat)

Just watched a Video thanks Nate of a guy (who I have seen on the TV show BBQ pit masters) trimming a Brisket. Wow he trimmed way more than I do. He had a wonderful knife (looked like a boning Knife) that was so sharp it just glided through the fat. I use a Chiefs Knife and it gets heavy and awkward to use real quick thus why I dont trim off more. I went and looked on Amazon and they have all kinds of Boning Knifes ranging from 7 bucks to 80 bucks. I know you get what you pay for, but do ya?? I was surprised to find that a lot of the Restaurants prefer those Reasonable priced (IE Cheap) knifes that restaurant supply stores sale. What do you use?? (pictures would be great!) Oh and have a good Weekend!!

Here's the one that I have Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	213985

Comment

• Drbearsec
      Drbearsec commented
      Editing a comment
      Brand?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Dexter Drbearsec

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Drbearsec Huskee (the next post down) has posted the Amazon link

I have the same one as DWCowles I believe, the 6" Dexter boning knife. Love it. Here's its listing on Amazon if it interests you.

Comment

I think restaurants use cheap knives because they get a lot of hard use, and not always by skilled people. So when someone misuses a cheap knife, they haven't lost much. I have seen chef's at higher end restaurants that have their own set of knives that they take with them wherever they cook.
      I suggest you start with one of the cheaper knives and see how it works for you. When you find a style that works well for you, you can upgrade if GAS rears it's ugly head.
      When you see a knife that cuts easily, it just means that it's sharp. They either bought a knife that was sharp, or learned how to sharpen knives. A very sharp knife will make your life much better.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not up on the abbreviations as I should, whats GAS? (I'm guessing a variation on More Smoker syndrome) thanks for the advice! I have a cheap sharpener that doesn't seem to work very well.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB Ohhh Well I definitely have GAS!! (oh boy let the jokes begin!!) Gear, Gadgets Same thing!!

Here is the one that I have (plus other sizes) based of the AR recommendation. It works quite well...

AR write up:

Fillet Knife — ESSENTIAL -Don't tell my professional chef friends, but the knife I reach for most often lately is my cheap . I get a new one every year. This cheapo blade has a thin flexible blade, with a dangerously sharp blade, a wicked sharp tip, and it's only about $16. It's great for slicing tomatoes, removing silverskin on meat, boning, cutting ribs on hot peppers, and, of course, filleting. It is not strong enough for cutting through bone, but there is nothing better for cutting things off bones. When it is dirty, it goes in the dishwasher.

I hone it with the cheapo V sharpener that came with it every month or so, and every six months or so I caress it across my whetstones. Every year or so I trash it and get a new one. To see all the different sizes available, click here.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Rapela too.

+1! I use fillet knives. Easy to sharpen and purpose built. Not too pricey.

Thanks,
      Mark N

Comment

Here's another possibility, especially if you have an Ace mart near you. You can also order online from them.

https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cutl...ife/RSHS136-CP

Warning: If you go into Ace Mart, you may well walk out with more than just the knife, or whatever, you went in for.

Bottom line: A boning or filet knife is probably your best bet.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
          SlushDeezey commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a Dexter 14" serrated. Same one Aaron Franklin uses. It's razor sharp and can be use for the pre cool as well as the post cook. I love that the handle is sealed to the blade so nothing nasty grows in it. Toss it in the dishwasher on sanitize cycle.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Dont have a Ace Mart but do have a restaurant Supply store. Your right I only allow myself to go there a few times a year because I walk out with way to much stuff!!

Boning knife. I have a big knife block and use the same five knives for everything. Slicer, chef, boning, paring, cleaver. Make occasional use of the bred knife and use the santoku when the chef or boning is dirty or being used by the wife.

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty much my MO too, minus the santoku.

I use my razor sharp Wusthof boning knife. If I didn't have that, I'd grab one of those Rapala filet knives.

Comment

So there you go GadjetGriller you have your choice of over 20,000 knives to choose from. Let us know on what you decided on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
            Here is the one that I have (plus other sizes) based of the AR recommendation. It works quite well...

AR write up:

Fillet Knife — ESSENTIAL -Don't tell my professional chef friends, but the knife I reach for most often lately is my cheap . I get a new one every year. This cheapo blade has a thin flexible blade, with a dangerously sharp blade, a wicked sharp tip, and it's only about $16. It's great for slicing tomatoes, removing silverskin on meat, boning, cutting ribs on hot peppers, and, of course, filleting. It is not strong enough for cutting through bone, but there is nothing better for cutting things off bones. When it is dirty, it goes in the dishwasher.

I hone it with the cheapo V sharpener that came with it every month or so, and every six months or so I caress it across my whetstones. Every year or so I trash it and get a new one. To see all the different sizes available, click here.

I have three of what Nate pictured.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              They are great! I have one of each size and next time I do an amazon order will probably order a couple of more.

Thanks DWCowles The one you use (6" Dexter boning knife) was the main one I was looking at on Amazon. Was wondering how good it was? Now I know! Although the Rapala flexible stainless steel blade is interesting as well. (I might get both since that would still be less money than I figured I was gonna have to pay for just one) A Friend just gave me a Brisket (well not totally he gets half back after I smoke it) but when I went to put it in my Mini Meat Fridge it barely fit so I have some trimming to do in the near future lol I think one of those knifes would make it much easier! I'm including a picture of my mini fridge (I'm so proud lo) the top piece of meat is a rib-eye primal gonna dry age it in my Steakager!! But gotta clear out the rest of the meat 1st! (this Fridge is the only one the Ager will fit in) Plus I'm including the knifes I have and use. The most interesting one is one that my mom got at a open house its made Click image for larger version

Name:	meat fridge.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	214167 Click image for larger version

Name:	knifes1.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	214168 Click image for larger version

Name:	knifes 2.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	214169 Click image for larger version

Name:	knifes3.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	214170 Click image for larger version

Name:	knifes4.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	214171 of surgical steel very lite & thin and very cheap! Its at least 25 years old and still going strong lol so much for you get what you pay for

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Nate (this might get me kicked out of here) even though I have a beer belly I dont drink (Getting ready to dodge empty beer bottles thrown at me) I dont judge my Dad loved his beer I just never acquired the taste? So the Meat fridge is the next best thing!!

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack Where did you get the recent Primal with bones and fat-cap??

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Paulina Meat Market. They apparently get a couple cow carcasses a week to break down in addition to the "box" stuff. Special order from a butcher. Getting ribeyes should be easier.

There is no "best" knife. Well ok the meat cleaver. Iron chef Chinese (on the real Japanese show) only uses a big ole cleaver and he can do anything with it.

But unless you are that guy, you probably want a fillet knife. A good fillet knife has a flexible blade. But that isn't my personal favorite. My go to kitchen knife is a traditional chefs knife. My wife prefers the Japanese Santuko knife.

The important thing is that wherever you use is sharp

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Wife likely prefers the weight and size of the santoku. My wife is a little intimidated by the chef's knife, and finds the santoku much to her preference.

ok now we're talking makes me want to do the Tim the tool man Taylor Grunt!! its ITS the Rapala Deluxe Electric Fillet Knife AC/DC

here it the link!:

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not really thinking about getting this. But thanks for the input MarkinJHawkland. I'll go look never know I may need an electric boning knife and didn't even know it. (that's how i ended up with my last two cookers!! )

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              You were right MarkinJHawkland I found the electric fish its half the price and has 442 positive reviews! for that price it could be fun to try!! My G.A.S. is acting up again!! (Gadget allocation syndrome)

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha ha I want to get one of these just for the cool name, Mister Twister MT-1208 Mr Twister SW Piranha Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001448Z8K..._PCCuDbS9QSHE1

Makes you wonder though, wouldn’t the barracuda name make more sense?

Grunting ... change the plug and run it on 220V for that extra power boost!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here