Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Steel Blade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Steel Blade Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4068.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1394485
    This knife was a gift. It's a handmade, 165 mm, carbon steel, Japanese deba knife. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present during our visit to Tokyo. We went shopping on Kappaboshi Street, 'the kitchen district.' When we were there, she insisted I shop for a Japanese knife to bring home. The knife has gained my respect. It's very sharp and has nicked me twice. One of those times, it wasn't even in my hands.

The knife seems to have an energy of its own. It doesn't have a full tang. When you hold it, the balance is in the heavy part of the blade towards the heel, giving the knife a feeling of potential energy right at the strongest part of the blade. The balance of the knife wants to work for you.

I was not going to buy a carbon steel knife only because I would be the only one to care for it properly in my household. But when I held this one, I wasn't going to leave without it. So that being said friends, what are the best practices for keeping its edge sharp?​

What do you have in the way of sharpening gear? Keeping your knife as sharp as it is now will take some practice. A lot of the people at kitchenknifeforums.com sharpen by hand and use various Japanese stones for sharpening. It takes lots of practice. However, the core steel in your knife is probably very hard and will stay sharp for a long time if you are careful with it. It may be so hard that it will chip easier than you are used to. Be careful around bones.

To keep it from rusting, you need to dry it often while in use. Some pros have a towel either close by or attached to their belt so they can dry often. Over time, it should develop a patina which will help prevent rust.

Here is more info on debas: https://hasuseizo.com/blogs/japanese...knife-used-for

Comment

After washing make sure to thoroughly dry and then follow with an oil coating to prevent rust, similar to cast iron some low heat will aid the drying process. I use the same oil I would use for cooking to protect the blade.

Comment

I would assume you would keep it sharp just like any other knife - hone the blade with a steel or ceramic rod after use (be sure you know how to do this properly) to straighten the bend over edge after each use, and periodic sharpening with a good sharpening system. I have the Worksharp Ken Onion angle set manual sharpener, and love it. If you are someone who can hold a blade level while using the sharpener, it lets you get 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5 and 25 degree edges easily. If you can't do that, get a good electric sharpener that can do 17 degrees for a Japanese knife.

Comment

Professional sharpening service. I have one local. Twice a year. I hone on a regular basis. To me the same as I'll do full maintenance on my HVAC twice a year. Nope, let the pros do it. Oh, I'm lazy and blessed to be able to afford it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here