Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knives. Like cast iron but different.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives. Like cast iron but different.

Originally posted by IFindZeroBadCooks View Post
    I have to say, now I am wondering about the difference between cheap and expensive knives but that is probably another thread.
    I don’t have any EXPENSIVE expensive knives. I have three Globals that cost around $100, and one of those was discounted from $150. I have some Henckels that I got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond: a paring knife, a utility knife, and a boning knife. All three of those together were under $50. The rest are a hodgepodge from gifts and garage sales.

I have had really cheap knives: the Cuisinart set of different colored knives come to mind.

And I have had the inexpensive good knives: two different sized Victorinox chef’s knives, the Victorinox brisket sword, and I have a Lamson vegetable cleaver.

My experience is that the cheap knives are junk. They are cheaply made, you can get them sharp but you can’t keep them sharp, and the handles eventually separate from the blades.

The Victorinoxes and the Lamson, those are damn good knives. The Victorinox brisket sword and the Lamson cleaver, especially; those are freakin’ dangerous. As in, I wash them very carefully, staying completely alert and aware of where my fingers are. Geez. Just writing that gave me shivers.

The good knives? They’re better. They aren’t sharper; they’re better. They look better, they feel better, they have better balance. The Victorinoxes have light plastic handles. The Lamson has a cheap wooden handle. It’s like choosing between Snap On and Craftsman (or what Craftsman used to be): both do the job well, but Snap On makes better tools. I still have to be aware with the Globals while cleaning them, but they are better balanced and easier to handle. I’ve nicked myself pretty good, though.

I gave the cheap Cuisinart knives to Goodwill. I gave the Victorinox chef’s knives to my daughter, they duplicated knives I already have, but anyone can use and enjoy those knives.

My experience is that the sweet spot for knife value is in that $30-$100 range. The Victorinox 8” chef’s knife is $45 now, the Globals are around $150 but go on sale for around $100 frequently. Same with a lot of the other brands that people here use. My three Henckels were $15-$20 each. I keep trying to beat up those Henckels. I even throw them in the dishwasher… but a quick hone and they’re back to slicing tomatoes.

You can get $300 knives, you can get $3000 knives. But at that point, those knives aren’t any more useful. They are exclusive, they are beautiful, they are incrementally sharper. But we are still just chopping vegetables and carving briskets. I’m not saying those knives aren’t worth the price. I’m saying that the utility value is maxed out, and the excess value lies elsewhere.

I have zwillings, whustoff, MAC, Made-In, dalstrong, victorinox, Rapala, Shun, dexter, and a couple hand made ones. Those are my kitchen knives, and in my catering knife roll. In my field roll for hunting it is all old timer: the bone saw, deer slayer, guthook skinner, and sharpfinger. My big heavy bone cleaver is a Dexter, but it doesn't go in the field. I like all my knives, have nothing crazy; all are sub $200 but all get used often. Most common used one is either my MAC santaku or my Shun chefs knife.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      MAC, and Dexter; I couldn’t think of those and didn’t want to stop and Google them. But those are other great blades that won’t break the bank. There are more, but those and Victorinox get mentioned a lot.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I got my bone cleaver for $12. I wasn’t going to spend real money on something I was going to use once a year!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I use my bone cleaver quite often. Usually butchering hogs, deer, or other wild game. Is a Dexter heavy duty.

I have a beautiful set of Wusthof knives that my wife bought for me. They are balanced well, hold an edge, sharpen easily, and they sit in the hand nicely without tiring out as you work with it. I also have a very lovely set of Japanese knives that my wife bought for me and I’m sure they are much more expensive, knife for knife, than the Wusthof knives. They incredibly impressive and I love working with them, too.

But, frankly, I could probably be just as happy with Victorinox.

Great write up Mosca.

Comment

Thank you Mosca ! This is an outstanding explanation. We have some Henkels I think for chopping veggies and the like, but I have a good brisket knife and a trimming knife bought separately that are wonderful (see signature ). I will keep the Victorinox in mind for the future. We already have some nice Victorinox steak knives that are excellent.

Comment

Since joining The Pit, all the knives i’ve purchased have come from Amazon. Victorinox and Mercer and the big ol brisket slicer was the most expensive the the 7-8 that I have purchased.

Like the CI Skillets, I’d like a really nice chef’s knife but…..it’s not something I’ve purchased at this point as the ones i have are great!

Comment

Equipment Review: Inexpensive Chef's Knives - YouTube

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I gave a set of Victorinoxes to my daughter, along with a hone and a sharpener that I showed her how to use, and told her they would last her for the rest of her life. I wish someone had done something that for me.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Here is the American Test Kitchen Knife Sharpener Chef's Choice Trizor 15XV
            Just may have to get one of these

I have all kinds of knives, Target branded, LLBean from when I lived in Maine, and my mom's wedding gift knives from 1953. I have had the knife sharpener thingies, and the little blocks, and then a few months ago I threw caution to the wind and mailed them all out to Sharpenters. I had occasionally taken a few to the knife sharpening guy at Ace Hardware, along with my tree trimmers and hoes, but this time I bit on the ads I kept seeing online. My niece lives in Ft. Myers, her husband works in Naples, Fl, (where Sharpenters is located) and they had taken a few knives there to be sharpened. I was skeptical, they barely cook, but then I bit. I sent a batch of ten or so knives to them to sharpen, and was happy enough I sent a second batch, along with my precious sewing scissors. Cut my fingers a couple times testing them, so now my often cheap old knives work pretty well. I learned you can take a cheap knife and make it sharp.

Comment

I have all Wusthof knives except for the boning knife which is a Rapala Fillet Knife. I have a chef's knife that is 30 years old. Still works like a charm. I sharpen them using the Worksharp E5.

Comment

I find my Mercer and Victorinox knives more than adequate but my one Shun is certainly my favorite.

Comment

Was prepping my pack for hunting season and thought I might show a few pics of my field roll. I process all my own game, and use this in the field.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have a set of Henckels that I've had since the early '90's.
                  I just started acquiring Shuns.
                  I like the blade on the Shuns, very sharp. I only use wooden boards with them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here