Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Work Sharp To Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Work Sharp To Buy?

My Mercer brisket knife failed the paper test this morning, and I am not really surprised as it struggled on the prime rib this weekend.

I have a typical butcher block of knives (9 different sizes though we may use 2-3 regularly), a Rapala trimming knife, the Mercer brisket knife, and a few steak knives. The Rapela and Mercer were bought in December 2020 and February 2021 so understandably due.

I did read this excellent thread:

We have a drawer full of various kitchen knives that all need sharpening other than by steel. I would appreciate your ideas on what brand or model you have experience with.

The way I see it, I have three options:

1) Local knife sharpener. I have never used one but there is one local. I am guessing this would be $50-$100 bucks.

2) Ken Orion. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/

3) E5 electric. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/

If I can get 30% off from Worksharp, I would basically break even after one use on the device.

I lean towards the E5 because because I am a knife newbie. I am not sure about the learning curve here on the other options. My concern is simply ruining the knives I have even more due to ineptitude essentially.

What would you recommend? Anything I am missing?

I have the E5 and love it. I keep it on the counter right next to my knife block plugged in and ready to go. Because it’s right there I remember to sharpen the knives often. In fact I sharpened my Mercer slicing knife Friday just as I prepared to slice the Christmas Eve brisket. That’s my recommendation

Comment

It is my understanding that the AR 30% off discount ended last December if this is the 30% you are thinking about. Just to keep it in mind when deciding.

Comment

I have the E5, and the East West kit. I like it a lot. Simple, fairly quick, and much better at getting an angle than I am with a stone. Does scissors too... I really wanted the Ken Onion so I could do my axe, shears, and mower blades, but realistically I wouldn't have used it on those items enough to make it worth it.

Comment

I have the Ken Onion Work Sharp belt sharpener and it is FANTASTIC. A great design, gravity does all the work, zero elbow grease required, and it maximizes both ergonomics and safety. So great to be able to put a keen edge on every blade in only about thirty minutes. (We have a similar number of knives as PJ does.) Took longer on the first use of course, because our knives had become atrociously dull. One of the best pieces of hardware I've ever used.

The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife and Tool Sharpener expands on the best-selling Original Knife and Tool Sharpener with more power, more flexibility, and more control as specified by legendary knife maker Ken Onion.
          Last edited by DaveD; December 27, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 here. I have a Ken Onion and absolutely love it! As DaveD mentioned, it’s as simple as reading the quick start guide, getting your first belt on it, and away you go. You can adjust the angle of grind to match your knife. If you don’t know the angle (I don’t have a clue what the angle is in half of my knives….) a quick google search should get you close. IIRC, they also have some basic angles for different types of knives in the instructions. Highly recommend.

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the ken onion work sharp and I agree it's fantastic.

• CLB3
            CLB3 commented
            Editing a comment
            +3! I have had a Ken Onion Worksharp for several years and love it.

Love my E5. I also have the Chef's Choice Tri. Why the E5? It is very easy to use, takes up very little counter space and has options for different angles (15* and 20*) if you get that into it. The E5 is good for "newbies" and "not newbies". Finally, like most Worksharp products, you can get new belts when they lose too much grit.

Comment

My sharpening needs are strictly for knives. I have the EF on my counter next to my knives and it gets used often. It was a great investment.

That being said, I also have in my knife collection several old knives (estate sale and junk shop finds) that had minor edge damage and one that had a broken tip. I got a recommendation about a mail in knife sharpening service called Knife Flight. I took about two weeks start to finish 5 knives and they came back razor sharp. The broken tip was fixed and the dings in the edges were gone. I highly recommend this if you have badly neglected knives. https://knifeflight.com/# Then you can use something like the E5 to keep them sharp.

Comment

If you're going with one of the Worksharp models, I'd suggest the E5. Personally, I have the Chefs Choice Trizor and love it. I'm also in the habit of using a honing steel every time I pull a knife out of the block. That really cuts down on how often I have to actually sharpen my knives.

Comment

My first question is, how do you think you could ruin a knife. Second thought, when confronted with a "dulling" of a knife, I only thought of getting a stone & learning how to sharpen it. That was many, many moons ago ( a little Indian lingo there). I have a set of Chinese made Wolfgang Puck knives that are decent that my wife bought about a dozen years ago. I also have a couple of Wustoffs, a "brisket", 8” chef’s, & two others plus a victoranox & a xouple of pairing knives that are 20 to 30 years old. I keep sharpenin em & they keep cutting just fine. I am at a point where I wouldn’t consider buying a machine to what I do by hand. It takes a little on the learning scale, but it’s not brain surgery.

And when ya hum doin it, it can be very therapeutic. Yessir! 😊

Comment

The main way you could 'ruin' a knife would be to screw up the angle. That's really not ruining it, but sharpening it suboptimally and can be fixed.

I've a few whetstones that I use to keep things sharp, but I'd say that the critical bit is to choose something decent and use it regularly rather than letting things get really dull and then bringing them back. Which reminds me, I need to touchup the paring knife and a petty today.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use my strop now more than my stones.

I have the E-5 also and love it. It’s easy to use, no learning curve. After sharpening with mine,I was able to pass the tomato test and shave hair off my arm. Click image for larger version  Name:	8B88B6E5-7DAA-4BE4-A6EC-F58ABE03ED67.png Views:	0 Size:	200.2 KB ID:	1149849

Click image for larger version  Name:	EB83BA7A-5966-47BD-8980-D99DBD743D5A.png Views:	0 Size:	215.9 KB ID:	1149850For an extra $50. they include a honing rod and 3 belts…….It’s $199.50. VS $150. for the model without.

Comment

There’s nothing wrong with the E5 for knives that are in good shape already. It’s not super aggressive though so for new knives or very dull knives, the Ken Onion is great. I can take the guide off and free hand a narrower back bevel quickly, then finish up with the guides.

I use the spyderco sharpmaker regularly in the kitchen to maintain straight and serrated blades, but it’s not aggressive enough (or I’m just not patient enough) for reproducing.

So I have all three and if I only kept one it would be the onion.
                    Last edited by Polarbear777; December 27, 2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Actually, I did some research this morning. Watched a video and 15xv won. It is on my wish list.

Chef's Choice Model 15XV 3-Stage Professional Electric Knife Sharpener – Chef's Choice by EdgeCraft (chefschoice.com)

Comment

• Polarbear777
                        Polarbear777 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The chefs choice doesn’t produce the best edge and can remove a lot of material, but it’s super fast and good enough for most kitchen work.

• jlazar
                        jlazar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have this model. Easy to use. Just follow the directions. I have no issue with the edge it produces.

Ken onion is an amazing system. Can't go wrong with it.

And a dexter russel scalloped slicer is really a great roast and brisket knife. Plain edge knives like that mercer are great for super thin slices. The scalloped slicer cuts right through. I love it.
                      S140-12SC-PCP

Comment

• STEbbq
                        STEbbq commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This one is mine so already scalloped I think.

Mercer Culinary Millennia Black Handle, 11-Inch, Slicer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000PS1HRM/

• gboss
                        gboss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That knife has the "granton" style dimples/scallops. On a true Granton brand knife, the scallops are ground all the way the cutting edge and are ground alternating sides. The result is a "plain edge" knife that has sort of, "mini serrations" because of the dimples.
                        This is a very effective style knife for very thin slices.

The dexter scalloped slicer is more of what is considered "serrated" and is very effective

• STEbbq
                        STEbbq commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, learn something new every day! 👍

Thanks

After using the Ken Onion for everything in my house, I like it a lot. There was a learning curve but it wasn't too bad, but I'd suggest using a junk knife or two to learn it. That said I feel like I'd just buy the E5 myself. I don't feel like I need the specificity of the KO personally. If you're a knife guru and precise angles matter to you, the KO is probably more for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here