Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these ok to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these ok to use?

Found these in my knife drawer…..thoughts on if I can use them?

1. I have a honing steel in my drawer with a little rust on it. It cam with my knives many years go. Is it trash or can it be cleaned and used?

2. I have one of these in my drawer. Is it safe to use on my knives? https://anolon.com/products...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TimmyR; September 27, 2021, 10:30 AM. Reason: uploaded photos

The photo didn’t show up. Try editing and reinserting.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think there was a photo, he's got a steel that is a bit rusty and provided a link to his sharpener.

That sharpener is okay.

Comment

A typical honing steel has a form of knurling on the surface to offer the active part of truing the knife edge. Assuming that all you have is mild surface rust you should be able to deal with that fairly easily. I'd use a form of acid just as I've done for years on old automobile parts. I have experience with commercial phosphoric acid which is very effective. For homeowner use you might be more familiar with products like Navel Jelly, Ospho, Rust Mort, or Coca Cola, each has varying strengths which would drive the time factor. Apply, let it work, and then neutralize before it dries in place. If the rust is a bit stubborn a wire brush could help. When using any acid wear gloves and eye protection. Another couple mild acid products are molasses or vinegar, just need to soak for however long it takes. There are also Oxalic Acid products such as CLR which work well. There are a whole bunch of retail products offered under a variety of brand names, often with dyes and fancy packaging that cost more but have really snappy ad claims to match..............but a little research will show most of them are based on phosphoric or oxalic acid. Lots o' choices.......

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Your pics weren't showing when I commented, but I see them now. That tiny bit of rust is barely worth worrying about. A wire brush will likely make it disappear, but as Bonesy says, just use it and you probably won't know the difference.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        You can buy acid at marine stores for cleaning barnacles and scum off boat hulls; dunno if that would work.

Yer steel looks jus fine, use it, an that rust will fade away...

Cain't rightly tell ya bout that lectric sharpener, as I am unfamiliar with th brand...

What kinda knives do ya have? I likely wouldn't run any my Shun, or Wusthof blades through an unknown lectric sharpener...but my day to day Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, Rapala, Oxo, Dexter, Victorianox, etc.???, probly wouldn't flinch at th idea...

I heard the old timer once say " only ever sharpen your knife once or twice a year, hone your blade every time you use it"

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        willxfmr I Neil in deference to that wise man, an his sagacity...

My, My...Hey, hey...

• TimmyR
        TimmyR commented
        Editing a comment
        The sharpener is not electric. It’s made by Analon. It’s 3 sharpening stone wheels you pull the knife through.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a Ken onion work sharp about once a year, and my steel Evey time I grab a handle. Before the Ken onion, it was a lansky sharpening kit. Never done me wrong

Yep, totally fine. I use a honing steel each time, especially before trimming any meat. it does help prolong the edge on the blade.

As others have said, I would not worry about that little bit of rust you have going there.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovin th new avatar, Brother! LOL!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I felt like you would be feeling that one. LOL. Mr. Bones

Just take an SOS pad to get rid of the rust. The honing steel is fine! I personally never had any luck with the type of stone sharpener above. I use an old fashioned whetstone.

Comment

Just use the steel. That other contraption I am unfamiliar with.

Comment

Coke was mentioned or perhaps some vinegar. That steel will be fine. Have no idea about that sharpener.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Then how does a guy like you stay so sharp?!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here