Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edge Pro Apex learning curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edge Pro Apex learning curve

After reading the post from ecowper about getting knives and an Apex Pro as a wonderful gift from his wife, I decided to buy one. After watching the DVD and reading the booklet I tried using it. I'm at the beginning of the learning curve. I did sharpen one knife really well. The biggest "problem " I'm working through is that the knives I'm picking to sharpen have a greater than the top 25 degree mark. I wonder if this is from my previous sharpening? Should I re-set the angle to ?
    I'm going slow and happy with the sharpening of the 21 degree angle knives so far.
    I do feel this will work awesome when I get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Mike-Sid; September 1, 2021, 07:17 PM.

If your current bevel is too wide, it takes a lot of material removal to get it re-set. Use the coarsest stone.
    A good way to see what you are doing is to use a sharpie marker on the edge. Then you can easily see where the stone is hitting it. If it’s not removing marker all the way to the very edge, then you are still working on resetting the back bevel.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to say that rubbing alcohol will remove the marker.

I have one. I’m new too. I need to get better and practice! I’m exhausted at the end of the day with work and kids, but I need to man-up 🔪

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
      If your current bevel is too wide, it takes a lot of material removal to get it re-set. Use the coarsest stone.
      A good way to see what you are doing is to use a sharpie marker on the edge. Then you can easily see where the stone is hitting it. If it’s not removing marker all the way to the very edge, then you are still working on resetting the back bevel.
      The opposite seems true. The bevel is narrow and steep, maybe closer to 40 degrees

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case I’d only go just a little wider on the setting to finish the edge if you can’t match it exactly.
        I usually do a back bevel narrower and finish with a wider bevel for the very edge.

I thought I would pass this site on. The sections on ‘What is blade geometry, and why is it important?’ and following sections are quite informative on helping visualize the various grinds and edges.

Comment

It didn't take too long to get the hang of using the Apex. I was not really concerned with setting any particular angle, but concerned with matching the angle that was already on the blade. Using the marker on the blade helps me set the angle. I ended up buying the small blade table. Most of my pocket knives, and fixed blade knives that I carry are on the smaller size.
        I'm very happy with this sharpener.

Comment

I purchased an Apex 4 system a year ago. I still have not gotten the knack of using. I have a VG10 metal chefs knife. For the life of me, I have been unable to develop a burr. I’ve exchanged emails with Ben a number of times, but I just don’t seem to get it. I have resorted to using the Chefs Choice electric sharpener, which is supposed to be the best. No problem developing a burr. The folks who are really into knives and sharpening though, cringe at the thought of an electric.

Before I got the Apex system, I tried for long time to master freehand sharpening on a whetstone. That was a disaster!
          Last edited by SierraBBQGuy; October 11, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I gave up freehand too... way to many blade angles in this house to even begin to get consistent.

That's a great looking machine. I don't see myself ever having the patience to learn to use it well. I recently bought a Chefs Choice electric and couldn't be happier. I'm not comparing the two, just stating what works for me.

Comment

I do use it without feeling the burr, so perhaps it’s there. But yesterday, I tried to use it, I only managed to make the knife marginally better. I use my knives multiple times a day, just love to have them sharp. My favorite knife is a Japanese VG10metal blades which is substantially harder than my German blades. Edge Pro tells me I should feel the grinding of the knife on the stone, but all I ever feel is like skating on ice. I have had much better luck on the softer German blades.

As far as the Chefs Choice, I’m very satisfied with the edge it produces. The knock against it is that it takes off too much metal. I can’t disagree with that, but I guess I’d settle for having a sharp knife all the time, with ease and a shorter life span, than struggling with this system, with mediocre results.
            This thing was expensive though!

Comment

I just don’t have the patience for this sharpening system. I’m quite happy with the Chefs Choice electric sharpener. I don’t care if it takes off more metal than a whetstone, at my age, my knives will certainly out live me.

If anyone here is interested, I’ll be trying to sell this Apex 4. It’s quite expensive, PM if interested in it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here