Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My favorite fillet knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite fillet knife

This is my absolute favorite fillet knife. It's made for Calcutta by Kershaw. Ridiculously sharp out of the package, just flexible enough and the handle is slip resistant even when wet or greasy. I use it for trimming brisket and any time I need to remove silverskin from meat and fat from chicken. My first purchase was the Rapala which is great for the price but for less than $8 more you can get the Calcutta. Bought my first one a few years ago at Frisco Rod and Gun on Hatteras Island but misplaced it 6 months ago. We went back to the beach last week and low and behold they had a couple more on the rack. If you need a quality fillet knife for trimming or even using it for it's intended use don't forget about this option!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0817211843_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	1078928Click image for larger version  Name:	0817211855_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	695.5 KB ID:	1078929Click image for larger version  Name:	0817211856_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	1078930
    Last edited by Hulagn1971; August 17, 2021, 05:27 PM.

I think it is the same knife, listed on Amazon for just under $21. Not the same packaging as there is no included stone, but it is the Kershaw Calcutta if you are interested. I have the Victronix, which I also find excellent and is about the same price.

Comment

I have a Dalstrong Shogun filet that is fantastic to work with.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been eyeing Dalstrong for a couple months now. I want a couple (maybe 3) dedicated knife replacements. The Shogun series are beautiful and the angle is different than the Gladiator series. Shoguns are sold out for now but I can wait. Will probably match the series knife for the purpose. Glad you are pleased with yours!

Looks good, and the price is hard to beat.
      I currently have a Rapala, based on recommendations from the pit. I like it and, unlike some of my other filet & boning knives, if I lost or killed it I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Comment

I bought one of those Bubba Blades during Prime Days. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Seem nice.

Comment

I used this https://qwicktrim.com for years and thought it was awesome even through I still struggled with trimming my briskets. Then I wised up and listened to folks here and bought my Rapala. Now I know just how easy and fun it can be to trim brisket. What a difference.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            It really does make a huge difference! So much easier, more precise and less waste.

Love it. These are great knives fro the price. I have one in my BBQ box, along with my Cuda knife. Both awesome, affordable and they last. They also resharpen very well.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            They are great knives man. Nothing but business. Hulagn1971 Come to think of it, I think your Jeep needs one.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea well my 'Cuda has a 440 triple two-barrel Super Commando Six Pack motor in it.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I'd rather have that 'Cuda than the one I have. Troutman

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here