Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aura Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aura Knives

I just came across this company recently. They are local to me. I haven't trried their steel yet but it looks pretty nice. a bit out of my price range but good looking knives if you're looking for something new.

Nice looking blades!

Comment

Those sure are pretty, but a also more than pretty expensive

Comment

I thought my Shun knives were pretty expensive, but these are insane. $625 for a knife? 8 month waiting list? Do they self-sharpen? Self-clean? Very pretty, maybe for a wall hanging.

Comment

The little voice in my head...
          "Boy! Step away from the keyboard and put your wallet down!" LOL

Fortunately I can finally say to myself, "I don’t NEED whatever." And can walk away...
          Best not to ponder things like that for too long, I’m just dumb enough to justify it. O_o

Comment

Wow. Those are beautiful knives. I like that they use a US developed steel as well (S45vn). That Aura2 has definitely made it onto my wish list. MKS is just as bad as MCS with me. New West Knifworks uses S35vn (which I assume is the predecessor to s45vn) also makes great knives. Not as good looking IMHO but a very good looking contemporary sort of style.

Comment

The HRC is outrageous (82-88)! I've been looking at Nikiri's with 62-65 that can cost this much. So, this ain't such a bad deal. Just out of my price range for a single knife. Handles are a little to fancy for me. If I were a good chef then maybe.

Comment

Those are some good looking knives. I can generally buy 2 knives in my price range for the cost of one Aura sheath.

Comment

• latenight71
                  latenight71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  haha. right there with ya on that. My $20 Mercer Chef's knife serves me well. I'm not even afraid of dropping it!

Awesome knives. In case you guys were wondering what to get me for Christmas

Comment

Too... pretty? for me. And I'm not sure that the price is from the bladesmith's expertise. Something like the knives at https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com (no connection) are more my speed and the quality of the blades is very high. Some of the knives there are pricey, but they are pricey because of the rarity of works by a given bladesmith so it's more demand than anything.

I have a $170 Wakui gyuto (below) which is very simply but wicked sharp and a joy to use.

PS - even if the blades on these are 88 HRC that's not necessarily a good thing. They'll be very difficult to sharpen and I'd wonder about brittleness then.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_144854.jpg Views:	3 Size:	850.7 KB ID:	1036362
                  Last edited by rickgregory; May 26, 2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, 88 would be a bit of concern for me as well.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here