Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new Chef's Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new Chef's Knife

I cut pretty much everything with a 8" chef's knife.

Anybody know of a good Value Option?

To most of you that will mean CHEAP.

I have three teenage boys who like to cook, so my knives don't get taken care of that well.

Forschner Butcher Knives - Free Shipping on Qualified Orders. stamped cheap forged last for ever with care go to the link through this site and make meathead some money

Comment

Best option is to visit a restaurant supply store. My favorite Knife cost me $40 at Ace Mart, prefer it over a Wusthof (>$100)

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I concur

Agree with the Forschner and restaurant supply recommendations. However if you wanted to spend a bit more a Tojiro DP for $100 compares well to knives costing 2-3x as much and IMHO blows away Wusthof, Heckles, etc.

In terms of performance, Tojiro DP knives punch well above their respective price points which is why they are regarded as some of the best (if not the best) value available across Western or Japanese brands. In the DP series, the maker’s handling of the stainless VG-10 core is phenomenal and has extracted the best characteristics of the steel. The knife takes a highly refined, incredibly sharp edge that is exceptionally durable and easy to maintain. The core is clad in softer stainless steel which is easier to sharpen and provides structural integrity to the knife. The Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto is a favorite among those transitioning from softer, heavier, Western knives into the world of fine Japanese kitchen knives. While longer than many Western chef knives found in the home kitchen, the excellent balance and manageable weight of this gyuto allow users to experience heightened dexterity and speed while also benefiting from the additional cutting power of a longer knife. This format is also favorite among professional cooks and home cooks looking for more versatility in a gyuto. The convex geometry of the blade separates even the densest of ingredients with ease and is yet another reason why this knife is a dream to use. Fit and finish is excellent and the handles are absolutely bomb proof, able to withstand the rigors of a professional kitchen with aplomb. Steel: VG-10 HRC: 60-61 Weight: 9.4 ounces Blade Length: 240 mm Overall Length: 365 mm Spine Thickness at Base: 2.2 mm Spine Thickness 25mm From Tip: 1.8 mm Blade Height: 49 mm

Comment

• (fuzz)
        (fuzz) commented
        Editing a comment
        And the 8.2" model is only $50 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyut.../dp/B000UAQOUA

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        (fuzz), you are serious - better than the Wusthof Classic? #Wow

• (fuzz)
        (fuzz) commented
        Editing a comment
        PaulstheRibList I am serious. There is preference involved, of course, but it is better steel--VG-10, seen in knives hundreds of dollars--and a flatter edge (10 degree angle vs 14 degree) that it is able to sport with equal toughness to the Wusthof thanks to the superior steel even though it is a bit harder (59 vs 60 Rockwell). It will hold its edge longer and cut better. On the down side it is more difficult to sharpen (can't have it both ways) and is not as good at "being an axe" for hard chopping/bone. Get a cleaver for that

Sorry for being late, but from experience I can recommend Kai Wasabi as a good value option:

http://www.amazon.com/Kai-6720C-Wasa.../dp/B000YL4NY4

This is about 30$ with shipping.

It has been my favourite knife for 10 months, and is easy to sharpen on a 1000/3000 whetstone. Although the steel is not the fast-rusting kind, the manufacturer says it is not safe in a dishwasher.
      Last edited by top_gun_de; September 7, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475...ox+chefs+knife

It's really hard to beat for the price, I have a Henckels Pro-S that cuts a bit better and stays sharp longer but I really like the handle on the Victorinox.

HTH,
        Bill
        Last edited by billg71; September 11, 2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

What Bill said... I bought one of these about 20 years ago... Still like new.

Comment

I've been using the knives they sell at Costco. They are sharp and cheap to buy. They actually hold an edge pretty well. I have been pretty impressed. I don't really even use my Global and others because they are expensive and I don't want to dull them up. (I know I know, then why did you buy them?!?) I use them for holidays and what not but for everyday use, I use my Costco knives.

Comment

• Munch
              Munch commented
              Editing a comment
              Are they Kirkland or Tramontina?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Tramontana, made in Brazil Munch

You should get one of those Old Hickory knives like the Pit-Boys use... they look GUUUUD!

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't mine me... I have been drinking whiskey and watching BBQWeb Pit-Boys videos...

I even scoped out a 14 inch Old Hickory because they look like fun!

I would also recommend the Victorinox. I believe it had a best buy rating on Cook's Illustrated. Low price, takes abuse, and stays sharp.

Comment

• Valsacar
              Valsacar commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, good price vs performance.

Knives... Hmmm. They are just a cutting utinsel. A really sharp edge will cut through meat like butter. Realize one of Meathead's favorite knives is a fish filet knive that costs about $15. And once it loses its edge he disposes of it and buys another one.

Knife companies are marketing artist's. Somehow they have convienced those aspiring to be great Chef's they must have a set of high quality expensive knives to further their career.🙈. That's complete absolute 100% bull$hit!

On most TV cooking shows you will see the contestants using a knife with a white plastic handle. Those knives are very sharp and of good quality and the sharping steel that is offered with them will straighten their edges nicely.

Those knives you can buy at Smart & Final for $9.99 or less. I have a 17.5" roast knife that I bought there for $9.99 that is much better than my Hinckel. It substitutes as a great bread knife because of its serrated edges. They have a filet knife for about $8 bucks that's as good as the $15 knife Meathead likes.

At the end of the day... If I pay less than $10 a knife and it's a very sharp cutting utensil, I can replace the set frequently and still pay less than owning brand name knives.
            Last edited by Breadhead; September 10, 2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Valsacar
              Valsacar commented
              Editing a comment
              Two of my friends are chefs, both said those white handles are crap. Every restaurant they've worked in all chefs bring their own knives, only the new guys use the white handles.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm... Go ahead and tell me what you really think.😎

You confirm my statement. If your knife doesn't where a brand name on the handle it's crap.

Meathead's $15 knife might be crap but when a man with his culinary background says it's his go to knife... I say the marketing guys have won.😏

Being a "Tightwad" but not wanting to let it Show! I shop the Thrift Stores, Garage Sales, and the Internet for Vintage Chicago Cutlery! I usually have a few bought up ahead and search frantically every time a family member or close friend decides to quit practicing and get Married, I (we) present them to the poor unfortunate as a gift! The average homeowner won't wear Vintage Chicago Cutlery out in a lifetime, they hold an edge and can be tuned up with a Steel. They were commercial grade knifes used by butchers and meat markets. Wood Handles can be oiled for years of service . If you look for them each knife handle is stamped with a # xx S on the vintage knives. The later version use a more complicated numbering and are not made in USA! Dan

Comment

+1 on the old Chicago Cutlery. As a kid growing up my mother (who was the best cook I ever knew) would go ballistic if I were to touch her Henkel knives and always told me to use the Chicago Cutlery we had in the knife block. The good old Chicago Cutlery are a fairly soft stainless steel and are very easy to keep and put a new edge on. The Victornox is Forshner and they are also a good buy and taken care of will last you a lifetime.
              I hear lots of people talk about their Henkel knives and how some are good and others not. If it does not say Zwillig ( German for twins) and have a picture of the two twins on the steel it is one of the companies inferior knives...the Henkel from Target, Walmart etc will only have the one twin on the blade and these are not made in Solingen.
              I could go on forever about knives, I make them, collect them and I can tell you that a very expensive knife doesn't make you better. buy one of the ones that feels good in your hand, keep it clean and sharp and it will serve you well.
              One of my favorite knives are these Kiwi brand from chef knives from Thailand, they can be had for $5-6 at most Asian markets, I use them all of the time and think they're great.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Right On Brother!!, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here