Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks to a "friend" I have a new addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to a "friend" I have a new addiction

A good "friend" of mine (I use the term loosely now ) gifted me with a Kohetsu 270mm blue #2 slicer last year. Since that I have added to the collection as follows:

Kohetsu 240mm HAP40 kiritsuke
    Kohetsu 175mm HAP40 bunka
    Kohetsu 150mm SLD honesuki
    Forge To Table 90mm VG10 paring

Now you see why I use the term "friend" loosely!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210329_185035.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1010459

That's a good looking collection.

Comment

NICE. You have, of course, discovered https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forums/the-kitchen-knife.4/ yes?
      Last edited by rickgregory; March 29, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Kohetsu knives are crazy bang for the buck.

I dig the honesuki, the SLD pattern is very cool (and SLD is no slouch steel either🤠)!

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
          NICE. You have, of course, discovered https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forums/the-kitchen-knife.4/ yes?
          I have now.

Comment

That’s really sweet.
            But holy crap where have you been?
            Glad to see you around again.
            Hope all is well with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
              That’s really sweet.
              But holy crap where have you been?
              Glad to see you around again.
              Hope all is well with you.
              Haven't had anything really new to contribute. Still rolling everything in Mesquite smoke on an OK Joe.

Everyone is far faster now to reply and invariably someone has already said what I would. And as for pics, well, how many times can I show off a perfect cook? I've been branching out a lot more to indoor dishes from the oven like pot roast and perfecting various sides like collard greens or my pasta sauce. BBQ is an old friend that I can do (and have! done) in my sleep but more "elevated" kitchen cooking is something I am working on now.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotcha. But it’s definitely good to hear your well.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                It's nice to have you back!

Kathryn

You are headed down an expensive road now - especially if you spend much time at KKF.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                You are headed down an expensive road now - especially if you spend much time at KKF.
                Actully, I don't think so. I was thinking about soemthing for the 210mm slot, but then I realized that my bunka is my goto for most veggies, and my kiritsuke is my goto for breaking down uncooked protein and large veggies like butternut squash, etc. The slicer is my goto for cooked protein. The honesuki doubles as my petty quite nicely. So at this point I don't feel any compelling need or reason to expand the set. If I were to fill in the 210mm slot it would hard to choose between a gyuto, bunka, or santoku. But since that size is such a general purpose one, and I have the others, I can't really see where one would have an advantage other the others. It helps that both the bunka and kiritsuke have decent rocking ability when I want that, if not ideal.

Comment

Very impressive collection.

Comment

You need a Nakiri

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought about that, but I don't really see where it would be better than the bunka for what I do.

Originally posted by boftx View Post

Actully, I don't think so. I was thinking about soemthing for the 210mm slot, but then I realized that my bunka is my goto for most veggies, and my kiritsuke is my goto for breaking down uncooked protein and large veggies like butternut squash, etc. The slicer is my goto for cooked protein. The honesuki doubles as my petty quite nicely. So at this point I don't feel any compelling need or reason to expand the set. If I were to fill in the 210mm slot it would hard to choose between a gyuto, bunka, or santoku. But since that size is such a general purpose one, and I have the others, I can't really see where one would have an advantage other the others. It helps that both the bunka and kiritsuke have decent rocking ability when I want that, if not ideal.
                    (looks at bolded text...)

And so it begins...

Ok seriously, it sounds like you and I are both in the "knives are cool but they're tools vs collectibles" camp. As someone whose addiction is in remission, a couple of thoughts - 1) specialty knives can be fun, i.e. a deba for breaking down fish, or a thicker gyuto vs a laser thin one for different foods and 2) you're better off spending money on a set of water stones at this point if you haven't already.

There's a ton of knives you can buy if you want but KKF caters to a crowd that's decidedly over the top in terms of collecting knives. Some of those people have 20+ knives and they're ALL high end stuff. It's like the people here who have 15 cookers which is, objectively, silly. There's no practical reason for either - you might need a few knives or cookers but that many isn't about how you use them, it's about playing with different ones (cookers or knives).

Comment

Ill just put this here: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Comment

• boftx
                        boftx commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They are an excellent shop in my opinion and most of mine have come from them.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here